Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:44:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLimits in flash for mmorpg?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Limits in flash for mmorpg?  (Read 1280 times)
TheCusp
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »

ok,a flash Envony type of game (castle/army building), but you assemble your armies more like a magic the gathering deck and they fight it out visually in real time battles.   Bunch of tiny little leveled characters facing perma death. 

If every soldier and unit has modest stats, skills, levels, inventory, genetics, allegiances, the works, what's the max number of units I could allow each player?  And how many do you think flash could handle onscreen at once for combat?  Keep in mind every unit will be fairly unique, not like 30 swordsmen with all the same stats and behavior. 

I'm thinking about max 1000 mini characters per player, and about a max of 100-200 onscreen in combat.  Am I dreaming with those numbers, or am I wanting to throw around just too much data?

How much can I handle with flash?  I need to set some limits before I go on with design.

Nix
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:03:47 PM »

Do you know anything about Flash development? Prototype it and find out. (short answer: yes if you do a good job programming it. Otherwise, probably not)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »

100-200 should be easily possible if you're efficient, especially if each unit type looks the same even if their stats are different.
Pretty much, use 30 FPS frame rate, write your code so unimportant functions are run every other frame (Well, you want some on even frames and some on odd frames), and use shitty, efficient path finding.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

Back during the Assemblee competition, there were no less than 3 flash based MMOs in the works.

Two of them eventually faded into the mist, but Realm of the Mad God hit the front page recently, and has grown pretty impressively. I'm not sure if those folks may have any insight for you.
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:04 AM »

Look into blitting and copyPixels.   Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic