Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:42:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Text adventures
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Text adventures  (Read 13142 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 08:20:41 PM »

Oh man, I go to tigsource to take a break from studying for my compiler construction final. :D

I assume a lot of people use lex/yacc for their text adventure's parser generation, although it looks like the new version of Inform damn near looks like natural language processing.

Well I'm taking a break from studying for my combinatorial math final, so text parsing is fair game for me at the moment.

I figure there's pretty much no point writing out state tables by hand past a certain point, but it can be handy for people who are new to FSMs to tackle small tasks by hand for learning purposes, and you don't really need Lex and Yacc to tackle really little grammars.

The new Inform is really shiny. It makes me wish that I actually enjoyed interactive fiction. I like it from a technical standpoint, and I like fooling around with Inform, but actually sitting down and trying to play IF always leaves me feeling a little unengaged.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 08:00:43 AM »

On Inform:
I agree about Inform. But the advantage is really only that it's not C++ based because I don't know C++ (yet) and thus it's confusing to me. But I'm playing with it and hitting the tutorial and it looks better thought out than I'll ever make by starting from scratch. But it still has limitations that I'll have to find my way around.

On parsing
Thanks for taking the time to write that small informational. It's a very good start.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic