Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:36:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat would make a game like Zelda II more fun?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: What would make a game like Zelda II more fun?  (Read 7416 times)
leonelc29
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »

well, genre are the thing that given by the creator that you can't argue about. If they said their game are "Action Platformer", it's action platformer. For example, you can't said that guy are not Chinese if they look like Italian. Giggle

If genre are argue-able, i would say every game are RPG as you somehow playing a role in every video game.

Or i would said, all of the above mention game are VIDEO GAME, period.  Lips Sealed
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »

well, genre are the thing that given by the creator that you can't argue about. If they said their game are "Action Platformer", it's action platformer. For example, you can't said that guy are not Chinese if they look like Italian. Giggle

So wait if I make the best lightgun shooter ever and I say it's a turn-based strategy game I can go down in history as the man who made the best turn-based strategy game ever? Awesome.

Yep just because a Chinese guy looks Italian doesn't mean I can say he's not Chinese (well, I can say it, but it wouldn't be right). Similarly, just because the developers say their Chinese game is an Italian game doesn't mean the game is actually Italian. (This analogy is the worst thing ever.)

The bigger underlying point here is that developer intention should not matter at all to a player or a critic, in any case. It's hard to tell a lot of the time, and when a developer does explicitly state his/her intentions, how do you know that the entire dev team had this exact same intention or predicted the exact same things would happen/not happen? (Or that the developer isn't lying, haha. "IT WAS ALL PART OF MY MASTER PLAN FOR THE SERIES" -- George Lucas)

If genre are argue-able, i would say every game are RPG as you somehow playing a role in every video game.

CRPGs are computer games where the player's actions are given a large amount of freedom, and these actions are able to directly and drastically change the direction and consequences of the game's plot. No, Mario dying after running into a Goomba and failing to save the Mushroom Kingdom because he got banished to the land of Game Over does not count. Contra, Sonic 3, Tetris, and Final Fantasy 7 are not CRPGs and the term doesn't apply to every videogame ever (if it did it would be useless); the only reason people keep arguing this is because the term "RPG" being applied to JRPGs (which are not actual CRPGs) has confused the definition for years (and thus, "RPG elements" has come to mean "the game has stats which you can upgrade."). WRPGs are generally the closest computer games have gotten to being true CRPGs.

Or i would said, all of the above mention game are VIDEO GAME, period.  Lips Sealed

Uh of course they are, but that gets us nowhere. The entire point of genre is to classify and group together similar games, thus making comparison (and therefore criticism) easier, and enabling players to find similar games to the ones they enjoy playing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:48:33 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »

So what's wrong with calling a game in which a topless protagonist runs to the right and machine guns aliens a "run and gun"?
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »

So what's wrong with calling a game in which a topless protagonist runs to the right and machine guns aliens a "run and gun"?

The individual game can prob be called a "run and gun" if you want but the entire genre the game fits into shouldn't be called that. I already mentioned the 2D Shinobi series as games which fit into the "run and gun" genre mechanically yet don't fit with the name because you don't use guns. Another (probably a bit better) example is the Ghouls'n Ghosts series. Consider that if both games were edited to have the character sprites holding pistols or blasters that shot bullets instead of hands that shot shurikens or knives everyone would be calling them run-and-guns; it's a purely aesthetic classification. It probably sounds like a small issue but I think what we call genres and how we classify games really has a big impact (just look at what happened with the "RPG" genre, to name one example).

EDIT: great avatar.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
leonelc29
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »

Discussing "Genre" equally to discussing a political issue(not really the same... Lips Sealed)
Everyone has their own set of mind and agree or not is depending what the people think. I suggest baconman change this title to something like "what is genre?". Wink

go on for the discussing  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »

I'm just there to say hi  Who, Me?

BTW I class game by mechanics and genre are mechanics or action, I don't class game by genre but part of game as genre.

Or else supermario land is a shooter fuck you! k yess bye!
No i'm not angry it's internet  Facepalm

Cordially

Noir

edit:
I made a topic about genre!
this discussion does not inform anymore the Original Topic, we are in tangent of tangent, please proceed to the next station:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=20399.0

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »

Most run and gun called games are not actually run and gun.
Most famous example: forgotten worlds, that's probably one of the very first run and guns (but the protagonists never actually run or touch the ground at all)
CASE IN POINT

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »

The individual game can prob be called a "run and gun" if you want but the entire genre the game fits into shouldn't be called that. I already mentioned the 2D Shinobi series as games which fit into the "run and gun" genre mechanically yet don't fit with the name because you don't use guns. Another (probably a bit better) example is the Ghouls'n Ghosts series. Consider that if both games were edited to have the character sprites holding pistols or blasters that shot bullets instead of hands that shot shurikens or knives everyone would be calling them run-and-guns; it's a purely aesthetic classification. It probably sounds like a small issue but I think what we call genres and how we classify games really has a big impact (just look at what happened with the "RPG" genre, to name one example).

EDIT: great avatar.
I see your point.  Though I think with run n' guns it's a case of the genre being theme-related.  The theme being guns.  But yeah I guess it's hard for me to call ghouls'n ghosts a run n' gun, even though it's mechanics are pretty much that.

But there's plenty of poorly named genres.  As mentioned above with RPGs.  Does the presence of character attributes mean you're actually playing the role of the character more? 

But it's all kinda moot.  You gotta call these things something so the first term coined usually sticks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic