Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:24:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral***
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: ***  (Read 6486 times)
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »

It bothers me that Congress spends their time and money on this instead of... ANYTHING USEFUL/PRODUCTIVE.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Nix
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »

It bothers me that Congress spends their time and money on this instead of... ANYTHING USEFUL/PRODUCTIVE.

To be fair, most of this sort of thing isn't covered by the entirety of Congress at once, but by committees dedicated to copyright, piracy, etc. I still agree though. There's much better things to be working on.
im9today
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »

i think america needs more laws so that the thriving private sector of prisons can hire more people. think about it we could have people in prison and everyone else working to keep them in prison and then we could have ZERO unemployment. we have 5% of the world's population and 25% of its prison population. we need to hit 100%. we are america and america needs to be #1 aka 100% why have a percent if you dont get 100 of it or hell even 200% because that is even better happy 4th of jul;y
James McCloud
Level 3

I can't art

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »

If this law is passed, it will bring absolutely no good.
I mean, what is it gonna do, other than put people in jail?  How can you lose profit from a Let's play?
And, while I agree that pirateing is bad, it's being seriously overblown.  I mean, is it really THAT bad?

This is me on steam.

Hey look!  My blog's gone again!  Ain't that somethin?

I really need a better sig :\
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »

vote im9today 2012
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »

If this law is passed, it will bring absolutely no good.
I mean, what is it gonna do, other than put people in jail?  How can you lose profit from a Let's play?
And, while I agree that pirateing is bad, it's being seriously overblown.  I mean, is it really THAT bad?

One thing you must know whenever you think about American politics is that people being in jail is good. It's to be desired, mostly because it makes money for certain people, and then it's justified in the minds of the general populace because of bloodthirsty revenge fantasies and malformed logic glands.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:51 AM »

if this passes and anyone ever actually goes to jail for making a let's play i'll eat super joe's hat

Nix
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 02:02:30 AM »

I think it's more for uploading music videos and straight songs to youtube than let's plays.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 02:33:45 AM »

i don't think youtube is even the target of this; it says "streaming" -- youtube isn't streaming. i mean, it "streams" stuff to your computer in a sense, but my impression is that this is meant more for things like livestream, where people use it to livestream events that you'd have to pay to see otherwise (for instance, blizzcon, or sc2 tournaments)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »

i don't think youtube is even the target of this; it says "streaming" -- youtube isn't streaming. i mean, it "streams" stuff to your computer in a sense, but my impression is that this is meant more for things like livestream, where people use it to livestream events that you'd have to pay to see otherwise (for instance, blizzcon, or sc2 tournaments)
Pretty sure it isn't. Youtube is a streaming website and this targets people uploading copyrighted material to these sites. I strongly doubt people watching live streams that you'd have to pay for for free is a huge problem for companies, or at least not to the extent that lobbyists would push a new law specifically to prevent it.

Every website that lets you watch videos/listen to music without having to download it first (well except in your browser's cache) is colloquially referred to as a "streaming" website.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:40:38 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »

Not just colloquially?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media
Rinku is talking about 'live streaming' which is a specific variant of 'streaming' ...
Nix
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »

so... YouTube as opposed to ThePirateBay
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »

I thought it wasn't a matter or what the bill was intended to cover, but over how vague the wording is and what that could allow companies to go after, such as negative video reviews and other things a company might not want the public to see.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »

How can you lose profit from a Let's play?
I've heard plenty of people talk about how they watch Let's Play videos in lieu of actually buying and playing the game, especially for story-centric games. See - lost profit!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2011, 02:01:08 AM »

Watching someone else play a game is clearly a heinous crime. Violator and subject to severe penalties and will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic