Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:38:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingGood game character names
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Good game character names  (Read 33188 times)
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »

Videogame characters always have a kind of special name. Like Link, Samus or.. uhmm.. Mario?
Anyway, I don't know any videogame character called John or Chris. They always have awesome epic names. So what I'm asking to you: What are good names to use for game characters?

Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »

Short, easy to pronounce, sort-of-fun to say, and fitting.

Short, because nobody likes to pronounce Sir Reginald Kenneth Dwight all the time.

Easy to pronounce for the same reason as above.

Fun to say? Because it's fun to say, DAMMIT

And fitting. If Link were really named Sheldon, would the game have been as great? What about Mario, would the game be what it is if his name was Benjamin? Benjamin and Luigi? I think not. If the character is a total badass, don't name him with a dorkish name. Name him something like Mr. Bigdick. Likewise, if it's a cartooney game, never name the character something badass/normal, go for something a bit more... creative. What comes to mind is Q*bert.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »

It depends on the setting/story of the game you're making. Short and simple names are overused, but easier to remember. Also, giving characters nicknames is a good way to be able to sound cool without having ridiculous names. "Cloud" and "Rush" come to mind as actual character names which make no sense. (ok, maybe Rush Limbaugh, but still WTF)

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »

Humorously long names also help with remembering. Sir Stereotypical Rich White Guy III is a prime example. This also falls into a nonsrs game or one with cartoon characters.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »

Anyway, I don't know any videogame character called John or Chris.

john, also known as master chief, of the halo games

chris redfield, of the resident evil games

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:37:33 AM »

Okay, maybe those weren't the best examples. But you know what I mean, right?

Also, giving characters nicknames is a good way to be able to sound cool without having ridiculous names. "Cloud" and "Rush" come to mind as actual character names which make no sense.
Or Moon, Black, Steel etc. I like it. Thanks for the tip.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »

Honestly, I don't think this is as much of an issue as you think it is. :-)

Like, while it seems common (and expected) in fiction for distinctive people to have distinctive names, it's important to remember that we, as humans, set a very low bar for "distinctive" names. Yes we have our Aeriths on one hand and our Bobs on the other, but what about a name like, say, Ian? Stands out, yet blends in; less chance of name dissonance, and plus names like that are much easier to find (perusing a baby name book vs. playing chubby bunny with a polearm). After all, the game's story is a story first and foremost! If the name wouldn't look nice in a book, then why use it in a video game?

Of course, context matters like a king here (like SundownKid mentioned). If you're setting the game in Testosteropia, you can get away with a name like Mitch Magnum or something. Likewise, names like Bob and Jim are good if you want to portray your hero as an everyman. Heck, if you wanted to get clever (albeit at the cost of tastefulness), you could even give everyone but the protagonist fancy names! Possibilities abound, my dear!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »

hahhaha best thread ever

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »

Name EVERYONE Bob

/thread
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »

Name EVERYONE Punto

/thread

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »

It really, really depends on the game and the character really. If you're making a game about a business man, then you might want to name him something simple and professional sounding. If you're making a game about a blob that bounces around and fights llamas with his magical spork gun, then you might want to name him something short and goofy.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »

It really, really depends on the game and the character really. If you're making a game about a business man, then you might want to name him something simple and professional sounding. If you're making a game about a blob that bounces around and fights llamas with his magical spork gun, then you might want to name him something short and goofy.

Couldn't these be the SAME GAME?! Businessman Blob and the Llamas...

S.Laser
Level 0

Ars longa, vita brevis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »

Find a phone book, open it to a random page and find a name that you like, then wright it down. Do this a few times and you should be able to come up with some decent character names.
I just did this and here is what I got;
Victor Cervantes
Raynaud Seba
Fiore Trzok
Calder Albadas

All real names from the phone book, last names mostly. Last names are usually more interesting.
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

Find a phone book, open it to a random page and find a name that you like, then wright it down. Do this a few times and you should be able to come up with some decent character names.
I just did this and here is what I got;
Victor Cervantes
Raynaud Seba
Fiore Trzok
Calder Albadas

All real names from the phone book, last names mostly. Last names are usually more interesting.
Okay, I Will Wright it down  Durr...?

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:27 PM »

Victor
Sean
Jeremy

Northwood
Bright
Man (What? It's good!)

Combo's:

Victor Man, Sean Northwood, Jeremy Bright  Smiley

S.Laser
Level 0

Ars longa, vita brevis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »

Victor Man sounds like one of doctor wily's robots.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:47:33 AM by Severt » Logged
ColonelHugh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »

Bob, Lucas, Olimar etc. It depends.

Dangerously Suave and eccentric to boot.
Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »

Obviously depends on the time period.

If it's set in Japan during the Samurai era have a name.. like mine. Or y'know, any other decent Japanese name that's actually Japanese.

Medieval England (Way too popular)? Edward, Thomas, John, Alastair. There's nothing stopping you from using these names for humans in a scifi game too because it also depends on the race; say you're doing a fantasy game, you don't want orcs named Jim Bob, you want them named Kazumgurak, Groth'tak (also another good technique ' for tribal names) and you want elves with Shin'delar, Thelos (la, lo, lor sounds are key).

NeoCeasar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »

Any character must have a name which in a sense means something even if most people might not get it. For example, Andrew Ryan is a anagram for Ayn Rand the person who came up with the Philosophy of Objectivism. which serves as a backbone to BioShock one. Even Jack Fontaine alias Atlas is a reference to Atlas Shrugged the book that most people call Ayn Rand's magnum opus and the book which outlines Objectivism. A name must mean something because they help define a character, like Master chief, he is know by his military rank, one so its easier for a a player to take the role of Master Chief, and second so get get the impression that this man is the type of person who has devoted him self to the military, and as such has become a true a super solider.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »

So my name is Noah. Sometimes people come up to me and they're Christian and they ask me if I've ever built an ark. I've heard it a million times and I have yet to build anything seaworthy. One time I met another guy named Noah and asked him if he's also heard that comment a million times. His response included the word "testes" four times.

My parents just thought Noah was a nice name.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic