Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:44:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingGood game character names
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Good game character names  (Read 33196 times)
raiderrobert
Level 0

I write stories

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »

Some guidelines that I give myself when I name characters:

#1. Either make it up or pick rarely used one. As you mentioned already, I'd eschew the more common names of John and Sarah unless for some reason you mean to point out their normalness. In a script that I wrote recently, I used entirely made up names, such as Nonry and Henren because I wanted my characters to appear normal. However, in a film script I wrote a while back I used the names Jay and Mike because I wanted these characters to appear as more normal.

#2. Name characters with different sounding names or at least different initial letters. So please never do: Joshua, Jonathan, Samantha, Sam, Susan. Unless you're using it to associate characters together.

In a skit I recently wrote (and yes, it has been performed), I used Mario, Luigi, Linguini; Katya, Igor, Misha; Sparks, Chips, Dipp; Charlie, Dr. Flynn, Dr. Ford. I realize that I broke my own rule a little but, but I wanted people to associate Flynn and Ford together, and I wanted to use some humor with Luigi and Linguini.

On the more serious game side, I used the names recently: Salato, Rikas, Manx, Armus, and Lorian. Just to name a few of the characters, but each of these names has a different sound and initial letter.

#3. Name characters as they should sound based on their natures. Darth Vader sounds much more sinister than Fath Mithor. This is because the harsh sound of dar- sounds menacing, and the trailing of the -er sounds like a growl. However, we get a sense of nobility from the sound and vad- because of the latinate sound of it. I realize some of you might think I'm over thinking this, but these are standard practices in poetry writing. Below is a classic example:
Quote from: Jonathan Updike
Many-maned scud-thumper, tub of male whales,
maker of worn wood, shrub-ruster, sky-mocker, rave!
portly pusher of waves, wind-slave.

#4. Pick names appropriate to the world. If you're writing a sci-fi or fantasy, by all means, make up the names, but if you're writing for a modern or historically set game, don't go all crazy and bring in Private Samothil Brorogard of the 101st Airborne Division.

On a different note, I've actually a couple of times set up naming conventions if I really want to build a world around some characters. Below is an example of what I've done before:

Gumark
Strong use of B, G, K, R, T, V, W. Tendency toward short vowels. Often combines several consonants together.

Formula
Given name + Father Name + Family Name
Baldric Votakotor Bok, Baroggae Tormin Gowvorar

Male names
End in –ar, -ot, or –in.
Baldric, Detmar, Vokrar, Draggot, Morlin

Female names
End in –ae or ee.
Broggae, Driaree,  Rablae

I actually would strongly advise using naming conventions if you're looking to make a large, immersive world. Having a strong sense of where culture is often driven by the naming conventions of a society. So in the game that I got the example above from, I used 4 different naming conventions to set off the different cultures that the player would engage in the game.

So that's my twenty-three cents. What about the rest of you guys? Ever make rules for yourself like these or set up naming conventions?

My Blog - robertroskam.com
Game Studio - Demergo Studios
Twitter: @raiderrobert
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 04:33:32 AM »

Calder Albadas
The owner of that name better wear it proudly.
Calder... Al-BADASS

To me, the most influential videogame name is...
Simon Belmont. I always thought it of as a name that represented a man on a mission.

Yeah.
iffi
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »

So my name is Noah. Sometimes people come up to me and they're Christian and they ask me if I've ever built an ark. I've heard it a million times and I have yet to build anything seaworthy. One time I met another guy named Noah and asked him if he's also heard that comment a million times. His response included the word "testes" four times.

My parents just thought Noah was a nice name.
...wow. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have a kid to name. Shocked
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »

It depends on the game, sci fi you want a name that new and futuristic, if its a game with a quirky sense of humour you want a new interesting name, the you need to mix that stuff with the time, setting, character, and so on.... Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
alto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 06:08:09 PM »

Simple and common names generally come with a lack of creativity and an over-reliance on limp attempts at humor. it gets worse when they try to use something from the spectrum of "lolso random" comedy.

"ill name him BOB because BOB is a funny name Durr...? Durr...? Durr...? Durr...?"

People who attempt this are scum and do not have enough originality to throw a monkey. it is funny because monkeys are random.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:56 AM »

I have to admit, I enjoy the name of Jetpack Joyride's protagonist:  Barry Steakfries.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic