Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:15:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCrystal Junk - fastpaced jump'n'collect
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crystal Junk - fastpaced jump'n'collect  (Read 1671 times)
Nick Dangerous
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:29:45 AM »

Collect crystals before the time runs out.
Destroy blocks to reach crystals.
The quicker and the higher you are the more points you get!
If the bottom row is full it disappears.

I made this game when I was at my mothers and had to wait and nothing to do. Today I polished it added gfx and sound to underline the fastpacedness and uploaded it to:
http://www.freewebs.com/nickdangerous/scr_crys.jpg

Why am I telling you about it?
I'm maybe gonna work on it later.
-add other playmodes
-add a menu
-add multiplayer
-add other characters to play with other moves (instead of shooting)

And now I want YOU to tell me:
-is it worth my precious time?

Download:
http://www.freewebs.com/nickdangerous/Crystal%20Junk.rar
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 07:33:25 AM by Nick Dangerous » Logged
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »

It's got some cool style to it.  It jittered a little too much for my tastes, but I suppose that's just a personal design choice.

A few things I noticed while playing:
- The game never seemed to get too hard.  You can't get killed by falling blocks, so there was never a real sense of danger.  I sort of just ran back and forth, shooting and working my way to the diamonds.  If a diamond had stacked itself very high, I stood next to it and shot while blocks fell on my head without penalty.  I eventually just let time run out.  Maybe you want to make some kind of difficulty restraint such as limited ammo or blocks can kill you.  Without those dangers, I never used the jump button.
- How is the level progressing?  Does the time eventually start ticking down much faster as more blocks drop at a faster rate?  I guess it was never clear what "level" I was on in terms of difficulty.  I'm sure you're storing a level variable somewhere in that GML.
- Is there a way to view high scores?

I'm not quite sure what else you could do with the game.  As far as the game mechanic goes, it seems to do what you planned out.  I'm not sure how you would fit in a story mode or something to make the experience more engaging.

How long did this take your to make?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic