Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:21:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGaia (new video & music added 11/27)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Gaia (new video & music added 11/27)  (Read 7805 times)
Sam English
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

Thanks Sam! (Don't worry, I'm eager to get back to Zodiac Gate after this project so people can hear your awesome musics) Undecided Tongue

Haha. No worries! Take your time and keep showing us pretty pictures.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »

Well as usual I ignored what I planned to do for the week and worked on something more fun.

A problem I've had with the vines in the game is that after they grow, they are completely static. Because I was using the trail renderer, you can't do anything to them after they are created (as far as I know).

So at TIGJam I learned how to use the line renderer and configurable joints, so I remade the vines from scratch. Now they can move and react to the player's actions.

Check out the video here
Chris Pavia
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »

This week I accomplished the following:
-Got a real devlog up and running, which you can find at Cube-Roots.com
-Migrated the new vine system from a sandbox into the main game. You can see video of the new vines

-Got the first round of music tracks from the musician, provided feedback and started iterating on them.
-Implemented the “Soul Shot,” a powerful attack the player can use by collecting the energy produced by the vine blooms. Also implemented the HUD associated with it.
-Fleshed out the difficulty progression across the whole game to figure out how many more enemy types I need.
-Designed the last 2 enemies to be put in the game.

There are 10 enemy types in the game, and all but the last 2 are currently implemented. 10 enemies may not sound like much, but each has a number of variables that can be tweaked to alter their movement pattern. For example, an enemy that moves in a sine wave pattern can have it’s frequency and amplitude adjusted separately, and the pattern can be applied to any angle of movement which makes them very difficult to target.

My focus for the upcoming week is to create more levels. There are currently about 12 of 50 levels complete, so a lot of progress needs to be made there. I also need to start fleshing out how the Endless Mode is going to work, since that’s the last major feature of the game that hasn’t been implemented. Also I need to start investigating how easily GameCenter's leaderboards can be integrated with Unity, as I'm hoping to use them for Endless Mode.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »

Weekly progress update from my devlog:

This week was all about adding content and I managed to get 6 levels done, bringing the total to 19 out of 45 complete.

The player’s goal on each level is just to survive until the end of the level. Survival means not letting any of the enemies penetrate the shells and contact the ovum. Each level lasts a set amount of time, starting at 60 seconds and increasing by 30 sections each chapter (group of 10 levels).

The sun seen in the screenshots acts both as the player’s timepiece and ultimate weapon. During the course of the level, a moon is seen slowly approaching the sun, representing the amount of time left in the level. Once the moon passes in front of the sun, a massive energy is released, killing all attackers and ending the level.

For the next week I’ve got to get some loose ends tied up with the last few enemies that need to get implemented so I can continue pushing forward on the levels. Also, I’ve got to draw up some plans for Endless Mode.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:25:38 AM by Chris Pavia » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »

Check out a gameplay video and some new music right

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »

Looks absolutely gorgeous.  The ability to manipulate and bend the vines still warps my mind.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »

Thanks! There still a lot of polish to do after I finish designing all 50 levels, so it should look even better in the end.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

looking gooooood!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic