Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:37:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusic Challenge The Fifth: Back On Track
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Music Challenge The Fifth: Back On Track  (Read 10704 times)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »

cool song rager, its a bit 'harsh' in a couple spots, like it jumps at you a little. Very nice, what soft did you use ?

Thanks! Yeah, I noticed that too, but I didn't really know how to fix it.
I'm still getting used to writing "soundtracky" songs and I always end up with a bit too much "METUL" (especially when it comes to the drums  :D )

I used Guitar Pro 5.  Smiley
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 07:09:28 AM »

I'm still getting used to writing "soundtracky" songs and I always end up with a bit too much "METUL" (especially when it comes to the drums  :D )

I liked it.  I noticed the METUL-ish drums, but I like the general feel of it.  It's very Castlevania-esque.

You could just take the drums out completely.  They really don't add too much to the piece.  Then, you could fill out the texture with some arpeggios, if you need something to keep the piece moving.  Piano, harp, or perhaps glockenspiel arpeggios might work.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »

I agree with PaulMorel that the drums could be removed and still leave the feel of the piece.  But you do a great job of filling out the spectrum with the dronish ambient sounds and using the flute up higher.

On the other hand, the title of the piece is "The Taste of Confrontation" so the drums maybe are necessary!  Depends on the style of the game it's written for...very cool nonetheless!

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 08:38:56 PM »

Here's my entry!  I went for the quieter, more ambient feel.  Feel free to leave me some feedback!

Also, ash, I see no reason why you can't pick the next challenge.  There's no list, or anything like that.  If you have an idea, then go for it!  Just post the new topic on the 30th, which is the day after this challenge ends.

Settlers Farming

PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:34 AM »

Great entry, RadRuss!  I like the peaceful melodies.  It DEFINITELY sounds like farming (at least to me)!

The 1 thing I would change: Bring the levels up and compress the shit out of them.  When I do (web) TV work, the editors usually prefer to mix the volume when they put together the final edit.  So I just deliver something loud, and they can bring it down as they wish.  I assume that a videogame company would do the same.

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »

Haha...yeah, I usually do!  I didn't on this one because I wanted it quieter since it was supposed to be background music. But you're right, the levels can just be set in-game.  There was also some laziness involved. :D

increpare
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 08:13:19 AM »

I fail this time even more than last time.  Hopefully I'll have my laptop back this week   Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »

Okay, uh..it's Tuesday now.  Ash asked if he could post the next challenge, which is cool...so it needs to get up!  Post it!

increpare
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 03:39:41 AM »

Finally got laptop back!

Here it is!

The Taste Of Confrontation

The title is fairly generic; at first I wanted to name it "something with wind" because it has that "wind-ish" sound to it (DUH Flute) Tongue
Wouldn't beat myself up too much over the title.  I think it might be a little denser in terms of the stuff that's going on that maybe was called for initially.  I really like the tempo of the piece.  The melody is pretty catchy. 

I'm conflicted as to how I think the strings go together with the brass stuff at the start.  Also one suggestion for your consideration: have you thought about, instead of (or in addition) doubling up the strings with the timpani near the end of the first section, double up the strings with themselves (say having another string line play the same rhythm an octave higher).  I might have changed one or two of the notes in the bass-brass line if I had been doing it myself, but overall they work pretty well harmonically and contrapuntally I think.  In terms of musical content I think you got amount of stuff that maybe would be good to have going on for a background piece of music pretty right. 

Here's my entry!  I went for the quieter, more ambient feel.  Feel free to leave me some feedback!

Settlers Farming
Pastoral indeed!  Good stuff, meanders about very, very nicely, without seeming like there's loads going on.

PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 08:15:10 AM »

increpare:
instead of (or in addition) doubling up the strings with the timpani near the end of the first section, double up the strings with themselves

hmm, I hope that you were listening to my piece.  I don't have any timpani parts; I am doubling the bass part an octave up with the cello ... exactly as you suggested.  Isn't that the default generic way to write cello/bass?

In terms of the bass line itself, you're right it IS a little harsh.  I move by a tritone in at least one place, but I like that sound.  Also, since two flatted-fifth chords are used in the harmony, I think that moving by a flatted fifth sits well with the harmonies.  Still, I hear what you're saying about the bass line; it could definitely be refined!

Thanks for the very constructive feedback, increpare!  Grin

increpare
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:27 AM »

increpare:
instead of (or in addition) doubling up the strings with the timpani near the end of the first section, double up the strings with themselves

hmm, I hope that you were listening to my piece.  I don't have any timpani parts; I am doubling the bass part an octave up with the cello ... exactly as you suggested. 
Oops. If not timpani, then some other percussion part then going along with the stringy rhythmic pattern towards the end of the first part, anyway.  (Also I'm listning to this on laptop speakers, so there's a good chance if anything is doubled an octave lower I amn't picking up on it  Roll Eyes ).  I had in my mind doubling the line with another an octave/whatever higher, but whatever.

Isn't that the default generic way to write cello/bass?
In many styles it is, yeah.

In terms of the bass line itself, you're right it IS a little harsh.  I move by a tritone in at least one place, but I like that sound.  Also, since two flatted-fifth chords are used in the harmony, I think that moving by a flatted fifth sits well with the harmonies.
I hope you are not confusing tritones and flattened fifths  Wink  (If anything, I felt a little like, though it was harmonically relatively tasty, that it was a bit similar all the way through, that it could have done with, at one or two moments, even crunchier harmonies still ... )

Still, I hear what you're saying about the bass line; it could definitely be refined!
I think the bits that I felt were weaker weren't the dissonant bits, but rather...hmm...*listens again*... the short bass note at 0:30 was the one that prompted my initial comment, as much as because it's moving in the same direction as the melody as anything else.
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »

I hope you are not confusing tritones and flattened fifths  Wink

Ah man...don't start that argument.  In a situation such as this, they're the same.  It's only when you start doing analysis that it matters, and I already did that...in college.  Gentleman

increpare
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

Ah man...don't start that argument.  In a situation such as this, they're the same.  It's only when you start doing analysis that it matters, and I already did that...in college.  Gentleman
:D
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 05:50:01 AM »

I hope you are not confusing tritones and flattened fifths  Wink

OMFG!  Seriously?!!  Give me a break!  :D  If we're going to get into semantics here, I'll go post my music elsewhere!!  Cry

To me, the terms are only not-equivalent if you are writing in an academic journal.  If you're outside that setting, then whatever ... oy!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic