Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:09:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMomodora II
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Momodora II  (Read 45945 times)
phoborobo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »

Sweet and compact game. The soundtrack and visual style combined create a soothing yet immersive atmosphere, in particular.

In other news, the file seems to have exceeded its download limit at Dropbox for today.  Screamy
trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »

Beated. Nice game

Btw, link doesn't work now, it says
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!
You sould add mirror!
MaloEspada
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

yes, i saw that. there is a mirror now!
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 11:02:22 AM »

I don't have a PC handy so I can't play this, but I watched the 10 minute playthrough video. I really like it. Even watching the playthrough everything felt right, the level design, the character actions, etc..

Only nitpick would be the cheesiness of the plot/dialogue, but it's easy to overlook when everything else just seems so perfect. Wish I could play it.
Ashkin
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »

The second boss is too haaaard
I've been backing into the corner as he does the spinny dart thingy, then jumping out of the way as he dashes towards me, pumping a few seals into him from afar then double-jump dashing over the triple wave and repeating.
Is there something I'm missing or do I just suck?
Elektrobear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »

You should try and melee her just before he does the triple wave. Or if you have enough hearts, ignore the waves and try and put as much damage on as you can.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »

Your shameless plug worked Elektrobear. I'm digging the music. Last night I rage quit on the last boss but picked it up again today and beat her in my first couple tries.

Some crits:

-the bosses could feel more organic. I enjoyed them, but I think it would be much more fun if they responded to what the player was doing and had some unpredictability to them. I guess a start would be giving them Less giant energy balls and more strategy to their attacks.

-the music would get chopped off whenever someone would start talking to you. It would be nice if it faded out.

-those little triangle dudes that went up and down really fast felt like a quick filler for some kind of obstacle. They were just kind of annoying and burdensome.

-Oh, and put something in that chest  Lips Sealed

Positives:

-beautiful artwork/music

-great atmosphere

-good enemy variation

-the difficulty feels just right

Great work guys. You probably have some suits gnashing their teeth, wishing they had some of that indie magic.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »

Yo yo yo I just started playing this and I have some FEEDBACK.

First of all, it's pretty cool.  I love me some exploration platforming, and the environments are pretty rad and interesting and make me want to explore, so good job with THAT.  There are a few things taking away from the experience for me though.

- You have some pretty high fi, cool sounding tunes!  But the rest of the audio just isn't good enough in comparison... all the sound effects seem to be just simple vanilla sfxr sounds, except for a few such as the bell.  This game should be ascending well above the realm of just plain ole sfxr sounds, this ain't no 48 hour game jam game bro!

- The camera is super disorienting at times.  It seems like you're trying to create camera walls and then use the player's position to track the camera across the walls which creates some crazy disorienting moments where there's an enemy or jump at the edge of the screen (both horizontal and vertical)

- Sort of related to the camera, when I go into a new room I seem to be a few tiles into the room already which is unintuitive for me.  I expect to be right on the edge of the screen and I start playing as such until my brain is like "WAIT HOLD ON WE'RE NOT WHERE WE THINK WE ARE"  Also there's a vertical room where you jump up and theres no way you can reach the top of it, but somehow its enough to get warped into the room above which gives me the same disorienting sensation.

- NO TEXT BLOOPIDY BLOOP SOUNDS?!

- This isn't something thats bothering me but I really like hitting the bells as a save system, but this is where the sound differences are amplified to the point where my OCD drives me insane.  I swing at the bell which is an sfxr noise channel sound, and the bell is a hi fi bell ringing sound.  The contrast between those two sounds playing at exactly the same time in the same game action bothers me.

- In the Mint End area I'm having some really bad problems reading the collision layer.  Stuff that I think is a wall isnt, stuff I think isn't a platform is, etc.  this mostly happens in the area where there are blue bricks covering most of the screen.

- It seems like the framerate cuts in half when I'm scrolling between screens?  Maybe I'm imagining this.

- This is a personal preference but interpolating the screen shake is really weird to me because it completely removes the "quaking" like property of the shake that gives it power.

Okay well I'm going to keep playing now but so far I really like it!  Gentleman
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »

I haven't played Momodora I yet and was going to do that before playing this, but dropbox is down for that as well Sad. Can I get a mirror for the first one please?
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »

Also putting that black chest in the game as a reference to Chrono Trigger is incredibly evil and sick of you and you should update the game and put in some way to open it and put some sort of amazing item in it otherwise this simple sprite of a chest will haunt me for the rest of my days.
MaloEspada
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »

thanks for the nice words and feedback!!

i've gotten some complaints about the background/foreground differentiation. it's a concern i personally don't have but i can see how it may bother you. thanks for pointing it out.

some people said the difficulty curve has some spike points (the bosses increase in difficulty but the stages don't). this is hard to fix so i hope it's not felt by many.

about the music/sfx being in "different levels of quality"... well, it's true i'm no sound guy! i feel it's passable but it definitely could use some work. the bell sfx was made in fruity loops (just like the music) while the rest was made in sfx/bfxr.

as for the camera complaint: i guess it's a really different camera so a complain is fine. i probably won't go back to this camera style in possible future games as it was mostly an experiment. i'd like to test using the traditional camera AND a "focus" camera in the same game, though.

sound effects for footsteps were considered... but i think i forgot about them. i also don't like those noisy sounds for dialogue, haha.

i don't really know what you mean about the shake thing, xerus. i'm sorry... i'll try to improve on effects for the future, though.

last but not least! the ct chest! everyone is looking for what's inside but there is nothing inside, really.
is there anything you guys feel i should put in there?

I haven't played Momodora I yet and was going to do that before playing this, but dropbox is down for that as well Sad. Can I get a mirror for the first one please?
try this:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtsxgij3xiv4ibd
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:34:39 PM by rdein » Logged
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »

Thanks!
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »

The chest should contain a fully playable version of Momodora 1.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

The chest is actually a portal to a new super secret extra area where you fight lavos.

i don't really know what you mean about the shake thing, xerus. i'm sorry... i'll try to improve on effects for the future, though.

What I meant specifically by this is the effect you use when striking a boss, it sways the camera around diagonally in a really smooth fashion and it didn't really make any sense to me.

Also heres another thing!  Please fix the origins of your effects and item drops on your enemies!  It totally drives me insane when I kill an enemy and the puff spawns at the bottom right of its sprite, or worse the few times where I killed an enemy and it dropped a power up in the floor.  A minor detail ;p

I beat the game but I assume I got the first ending, I'll try another round soon.

Oh and heres a personal opinion.  The controls are way too twitchy at times, specifically I feel like the air control of the character is too tight, and I say that this is a personal preference because in all of my platforming games I try to make the acceleration of the character slower in the air to prevent the twitchy movement which can usually result in overshooting or undershooting a jump on accident.

The twitchy controls were at their worst when trying to fight a boss.  I don't have a lot of room to get close enough to hit them, and not get hit myself, so attempting to get close enough to the bosses to whack them silly pretty much always resulted in me taking damage.

Anyway, I'm dumping all this feedback on you because I thoroughly enjoyed the game, so again, great work!  Gentleman
MaloEspada
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »

definitely adding your lavos sugestion to my list of features in Momodora DX Ultra

yeah some people like the jumping and others don't like it. i think you mean it's a little hard to land a jump? i guess it's somewhat a problem of getting used to it but may be personal preferance too.

i thought i had gotten the drop origin thing fixed... oh well  Facepalm

in any case, thanks! much appreciated.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

There were some moments of platforming on single tile platforms and I was having a tough time with those because trying to make small adjustments in the air was difficult with the acceleration of the player.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »

You can watch me laxly slam this sucker right down and through the mat now. I got permission from rdein to change the dialogue too so I took that chance and swung it hard.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

pretty tight!

i have to agree with the people who feel like the difficulty spikes on the bosses though. i know it would be difficult to go back and change things at this point, but i think that making the enemies behave more aggressively as the game goes on would prepare players more adequately for the challenge the bosses represent. as it is, players (like thernz-baby in his videos above) can basically bum rush most enemies without much of a penalty, especially since momo gains so much health through the game. so when the bosses are as deadly as they are, it takes players completely by surprise and forces them to abruptly change the way they play the game. what was a rather lighthearted romp before becomes a difficult test of skill and endurance on the bosses, which is naturally quite jarring.

of course i don't expect you to actually change anything, since obviously the game is pretty much done. just something to keep in mind design-wise for whatever the next game is :>

keramago
Level 0

i killed a man irl

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »

i for one would like to say i really enjoyed the combat a lot, unlike other similar games that break the pace in the middle of the fight by having to change weapons i really felt like it was dmc alternating between melee and ranged attacks on the fly to suit each situation and enemy. it was really fun to do especially in boss fights which were also challenging and fun but never brutal. wish there could have been more boss fights but i guess that's saved for momodora3

the music was pretty ambient which i liked (as opposed to caves stori and most other cavestorish games that have more upbeat music), although at some points i felt like the sfx and the music didn't fit with each other but i got used to it and the music was good.

my only real complaint is the new game plus is kind of pointless but getting to keep your hearts and green leaf was a nice thing, it wouldn't have been as tolerable beating the game another 2 times looking for a way to open the black chest and then finding out it's impossible otherwise.

also the story just didn't pull me in at all but i don't think it ever meant to. plus what did pull me in was the actual gameplay so it is not a thing that matters.

anyways i'd like to say kul game i never had a problem with the physics personally and i think the black chest should have a kart racing minigame all the good games have those.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:35:03 AM by keramago » Logged

~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »

As a Canadian I felt obligated to try this even though I don't particularly like platformers, because the weapon is a magic maple leaf.

That said, I'm confused about the seal business. It says that "certain blocks can be broken by the seal" and then presents me with yellow blocks. However, earlier yellow blocks, if I backtrack, cannot be broken by the seal thingie. Why not?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic