Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:23:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMomodora II
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Momodora II  (Read 45969 times)
D-TurboKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »

Alright, I'm going to try to add a few things as well.

-First of all, congrats for finishing the sequel! I played both games in a row now. It might not really be bigger than the first one, but the longevity felt just right.

-My biggest gripe with the game was the difficulty spike. Apart from the boss battles, which suddenly make the game much harder and force you to try out some acrobatic dodging unused until that moment (basically the hardest parts of the game, but only slightly), the rest of the game felt like I was playing in easy mode all the way till the end. In fact, it only became slightly harder at the very end, where you added those bat-like creatures and the laser-spewing baddies, as well as a few spike-infested areas. Strangely enough, the final boss was really easy, ending up easier than the 2nd boss fight, to the point where I couldn't get hit once, all I needed to do was to spam Seals at the right time. The first game, however, kept me sweating with the evolving difficulty as you slowly progress through it, and was actually hard. This one was really easy in comparison.

-I have to agree about the camera. Personally I felt it was pointless and a minor attempt at an increased difficulty, though I supposed it helped out with the Metroid-esque transitions. I would've gone with the "center on character" camera style myself.

-I don't really see why I have to collect seals when I never run out of them. Even progressing normally I still ended up with more than 50 seals after defeating the final boss. Maybe an "overheat" meter would've worked better, would definitely make the final boss harder.

-I was hoping Praying would've made a difference in combat, but it only ended up just being an extra button for standing still in 5 different areas just to prove I've been everywhere so I can get the final area started and done with. Praying could've been pretty cool, for example, you'd paralize a spiritual enemy after placing enough Seals and use that time to pray, vanquishing the enemy if you did it long enough. Might be a better example but you get the point.

-Finally, I agree as well that it's hard to know what's climbable and what's not, as it's a bit mixed with the rest of the decoration. Take the first boss area (the cave), for example. You can barely notice that there's a few climbable platforms because it's so blended in with the rest of the decor. It did make for a few confused moments where I ran around like a headless chicken looking for a stepping stone.

With everything accounted for (hopefully I didn't miss anything), it was quite a nice, polished game. It just needs a few important tweaks and an increase in difficulty. Good job, I'll be sure to try out your next project as well!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:04:53 PM by D-TurboKiller » Logged

Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 04:39:20 AM »

I enjoyed this a lot more than the first one, probably because of the minor exploration element.  I liked the music and the graphics a lot.  The sounds, not so much (and I wish you could change the sound volume).  I liked the feel of the platforming.  I didn't find the bosses difficult... probably because I was using autofire.  I only got 98% map, but did get all the hearts and the good ending.

For criticism, most of this has been said already, especially by xerus on the second page.  I really, really hated the camera panning.  When there were enemies near the edges that cause it, it's like just throwing away health.  There were some areas I also found the background/foreground distinction hazy.  The prime example is at the very beginning of the game, there are... statues or something that look kind of like enemies, though they don't move.  I found the maid enemies also kind of out of place, since they look like humans and not monsters.

Some oddities I found are that if you dash left where you can break the wall near the beginning (I guess to get the map areas in the sky), if you dash fast enough you can totally clear the far left wall.  This makes either the game freeze up or you fall off into nothingness forever, off the bottom of the map.  Using autofire, you can actually dash forever without losing height, too.  When reflecting the ball back at the boss, if you stand pretty close and mash attack, the screen basically turns white for a second or two because the reflects all happen so fast.  Don't even need autofire for that.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »

This game was an amazingly fun romp, through and through. My only gripe with the camera panning was that it could've been a little tighter, and there were one or two enemies placed near enough to the neighboring rooms that they became somewhat of a surprise-attack BEFORE it scrolled at all; but for somebody just getting the jist of such a feature, it was pretty well implemented.

Screw what these people are saying about the boss battles. They're FUN. They take a little learning and getting used to, but they don't just hand blind victories over to players. All that I missed from the first was how the level design entangled with enemy placement. So are you actually using OGMO, or is this something built similarly to it?

Also, I loved the cameos in the blankety blank! Wink You guys make magic together. I truly envy your team.

EDIT: Personally, I had no problem distinguishing foreground from background objects, aside from the statues that resembeled the baddies from the first game. Mostly because their colors match your tileset so closely in brightness/tone.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:08:47 AM by baconman » Logged

Mikesta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »

Great game. Really, a fantastic Metroidvania.

But I don't understand why the controls involve using the arrow keys to move. Personally, I think the most sensible scheme for sidescrollers to use is WASD for movement and the numpad for jumping/attacking/etc.

You're not the only indie developer to have the arrow keys control character movement, but it's something that always seems counter-intuitive to me. It doesn't ruin a good game, but throughout most of gaming history, console-style platformers like this have always had the player use the left hand to move and the right hand to perform actions.

It's always really weird to have to switch, and it makes the game more difficult in ways it shouldn't be. Like, it requires more forethought than it should just to perform a simple jump, or to attack while jumping or something.

Still, really cool game. Really smooth gameplay, a cool interconnected map, and I especially love the music.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »

Not all laptops have numpads.
Also, key ghosting is more of a problem with WASD. Limited simultaneous keypresses

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Mikesta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »

RE laptops: using "K" for attacking and "L" for jumping is probably just as good as using the numpad, then.

Is the key ghosting issue enough of a problem to warrant using the arrow keys? I always play Spelunky using WASD and the numpad, and despite the complex button combos I use, I have yet to deal with any noticeable key ghosting.
iffi
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »

Fun game with really nice pixel art! I think I got the good ending (didn't know there was a bad ending - how do you get that?), but I only have 96% of the map. If I can I'll try to get 100%, but I have no idea what I missed.

I thought the camera was alright, except for a few cases in which I found myself going between two rooms frequently and the camera just jerked back and forth between the two rooms, which was quite disorienting.

I would have preferred it if throwing seals used a separate key (like D), but S + up arrow worked alright after some time to get used to it. Some more difficult non-boss enemies in areas other than the last area would have helped, too.

It's always really weird to have to switch, and it makes the game more difficult in ways it shouldn't be. Like, it requires more forethought than it should just to perform a simple jump, or to attack while jumping or something.
For me, it's actually the opposite, since I rarely play platformers except on the PC. The best solution to all this is just rebindable keys.

I've never had any problems with key ghosting on my desktop or my netbook except when playing multiplayer games on the same keyboard (since more keys are held down).
wisnoskij
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »

What is with all these secret locations people have been able to find, is there some strange trick like prying somewhere special?

I have been all over and only ever found one wall I could walk through and them lead nowhere (it lead outside but all I could do was fall when I got there landing near the start).
johnjamie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »

Hi Rdein,

I downloaded and tried the game, worked well straight after extract.

I'm new to the indie game style, the games don't seem to use spacebar for jumping sometimes, which I was used too. Found A key was jump okay.

Is there a screen that shows the keys, like press F1? and you can see all the keys the game uses?

I got stuck at the place where there is a wall blocking into the next section. It was a 3 block wall 3 blocks deep and a save game bell just to the left of it. Couldn't get past it, but others have got to the bosses so I could figure likely it in time. Simply didn't know what to do to get past that wall.

Nice game.

Cheers,

John Urquhart
wisnoskij
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »

When the game starts before you load the saved game there is a menu option for showing the controls.

The light coloured blocks need to be destroyed using the up+s by targeting the special light block.

But you might need a upgrade before you tackle that particular passage, the game is pretty non linear explore and see what you can find.
MaloEspada
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »

@johnjamie: the only important keys are A, S and Shift and the arrow keys

regarding the key thing: i always found ASD/ZXC more intuitive than WASD for platformer games, and i think it's generally more used so i went with that
johnjamie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »

Okay thanks,

It reminds me a bit of a game a while ago which certain areas wouldn't unlock until you had been in other areas, and I had trouble with that too. Smiley  Vehicle, underwater, upside down on ceiling, things like that.

As to ASD keys, well that is fine if that is what games used more often now.

Cheers,

John Urquhart
Kingfisher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »

I've really enjoyed this game, but I have two complaints:

1.) Bosses give no visual indication of their invulnerability time.

When I first fought the first boss, I attacked with amulets as often and as fast as I could, because I thought each hit was contributing damage. I soon ran out of ammunition! The fight became much easier once I realized that I only needed to hit the boss once ever half-second or so, and that extra attacks during that time did not damage her.

Now that I know this I can beat the boss with plenty of amulets in reserve, when before it would come down to leaf-fu.

2.) "Fuck."

The first boss says the word "fuck." The game established a really cute and charming aesthetic, and when you have a character speak profanity it can spoil it. It was completely unnecessary; and amateur.

Those two issues aside, I strongly enjoyed the game. It is a really excellent title, and I will be recommending it!
I still haven't completed the map. I haven't figured out how to get to the screens above and outside the shrine.
I've only gotten one ending, as well. I didn't realize there was a second one until I read this thread! I guess I'll have to keep playing a while longer.

The next time you decide to make a game in this style, try and make it a little longer. I guess a third complaint would be that the game left me wanting more.

That's a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:53:57 AM by Kingfisher » Logged
mpdeveloper_A
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »

I love this game, I've played it on my WinXP 32bit laptop and it plays fine but for some reason when I try to play it on my Win7 64bit PC I get a "Invalid Floating Point Operation Error". It's a great game though. 
Elektrobear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »

So I just put together an orchestral medley of Momodora II songs!

Momodora II - Medley

The songs included are: Title, Momodora space rock, Ancient Land, Title B, Verge, IMMEMORIAL REALM, Nonchalant Queen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:43:59 PM by Elektrobear » Logged
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »

kyawaaaiiiiii
ink.inc
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »

my thoughts exactly

rdein if you're reading this

i miss you babby