Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:57:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCavade (Before: Yep, Another Mining Game)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cavade (Before: Yep, Another Mining Game)  (Read 6855 times)
PyVr
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »

I say, now I say, that sounds quite interesting, but why is he mining?

lolwhocaresaboutplot

The real question is, how is that different than...a situation in Minecraft?

I say make a story like he's trying to find minerals for his poor family or else he will get AIDS and then turn into a potato
xDD

I have to think more quietly the history in the other way Wink
Well in Minecraft monsters can't destoy blocks, aside from Creepers. I want to give'em some AI beyond follow you. But of course, I'm learning, so developing is veeeeery slow >.<
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »

The new sprite is alot better compared to the first one Tongue
while watching the video I could Imagine a future version of this game not as much being like minecrafts fantasy adventure feel, but more like Gem Miner (

) with the only goal being to find gems and be rich Smiley
Venks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:31 AM »

What are you using to make this game if I may ask?
PyVr
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »

What are you using to make this game if I may ask?
I'm using Java with LWJGL Tongue

What will the player do besides carving out paths? For example, what makes minecraft attractive is the ability to construct things, but I don't see how that will happen effectively in your game, so I'm concerned that the gameplay will be too shallow.

You could go for something like

where the unbreakable rocks tumble under gravity, posing both a hazard and an obstacle. The objective in this game is to collect gems and find an exit. The challenge comes from thinking how to manipulate the rocks so that they fall how you need them to fall.

Or you could introduce monsters and have gravity act on the player, and go for something like

, which is a very challenging puzzle game.
The problem is, that there isn't gravity xD I mean, it's an eagle-view game so I don't know how could I add gravity to the blocks Sad

I have been thinking about gameplay, and I have some ideas:

* Monster will follow you; if they touch you ONCE you'll die.
 * You'll have to run from monsters. The are faster than you, so you will have to break blocks and put them those making a wall or a trap.
 * If you put the blocks making a specific shape, it'll become a trap. By example, if you make a 3x3 shape with a hollow in the center, it'll become a hole where monster can fall.
 * The monsters only can be stunned, not defeated (Of course you only have a pickaxe, how could you kill them? Cheesy)
 * You only will have a weapon; a boomerang pickaxe (thanks Season xD). But it will have a charging time, so you can not spam it.

And another details which I won't reveal yet Wink

By the way, a picture showing the particle editor which I'm working on right now:

It's not finished of course, but it'll ease my work. I'll release the code of the particle editor if somebody want it when it's finish.
PyVr
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »

The problem is, that there isn't gravity xD I mean, it's an eagle-view game so I don't know how could I add gravity to the blocks Sad

Well it could easily be a side-view game with gravity acting toward the bottom of the screen. The graphics doesn't have to change at all. Not even your player sprite. Smiley

If you see how Repton works in the video I linked to, the player character has full 2D movement despite their being gravity acting on the boulders. Repton appears to be climbing which explains why he doesn't fall like the boulders do.
Oh ok, I understand you. Maybe I could add rocks which fall if you destroy some blocks. By example, you break a block and while you are breaking it, a sound is heard, so when you hear it, you'll have 1 seconds to turn away from block because a rock is going to fall and kill you.

It's a good idea  Blink
PyVr
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »

If you wanted to keep it overhead-view, you could make it so the boulders can't be destroyed, but can be pushed one square at a time.

This means they could be pushed to open/seal an entrance to a corridor. Or pushed into a monster to kill it. Or have lots of boulders that have to be pushed in some logical order to successfully make a path through them.

What can't be done is to push two boulders at once, so some configurations are impossible to move, like this Square:

Code:
.OO.
.OO.

and this ZigZag:
Code:
OO....
.OO...
..OO..
...OO.
....OO

You can make some very challenging puzzles with the block-pushing mechanic. I've used it in games before. Smiley
That's a great idea. So in this way the rocks'll have an utility at least xD
PyVr
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »

What are the different block types you have so far? I think that each block type should have a specific function.

Soft_Ground - Player character can walk here. Boulder can be pushed here. Player can dig Soft_Ground to create Pits. Shovels can be emptied on Soft_Ground to create Soft_Mounds.

Hard_Ground - Player character can walk here. Boulder can be pushed here. Player cannot dig Hard_Ground. Shovels can be emptied on Hard_Ground to create Hard_Mounds.

Soft_Soil - A wall material. Player can mine this. Tile is replaced with Soft_Ground.

Hard_Soil - A wall material. Player can mine this. Tile is replaced with  Hard_Ground.

Granite - A wall material. Player cannot mine this.

Boulder - Player can push this.

SandStone - A wall material. Player cannot mine this, but it is vulnerable to explosives, becoming Hard_Ground.
(TNT may be a collectable item, that can be placed on any Ground square.)

Water - Cannot be walked over. Boulders can be pushed into Water to create a Stepping_Stone.

Stepping_Stone - Works like Hard_Ground.

Pit - Pits cannot be walked over. Boulders can be pushed into Pits to create a Paving_Stone. Player can fill in Pits with their shovel. It becomes Soft_Ground. If a pit is dug next to Water or Stepping_Stone, the water spreads to fill the Pit, turning it into Water.

Bottomless Pit - Cannot be walked over. Boulders can be pushed into these to destroy the boulder. Shovels of material emptied into a Bottomless_Pit are destroyed.

Paving_Stone - Works like Hard_Ground.

Soft_Mound - Mounds can be walked over. Boulders cannot be pushed over Mounds. Soft_Mounds can be dug out using a shovel, becoming Soft_Ground.

Hard_Mound - Mounds can be walked over. Boulders cannot be pushed over Mounds. Hard_Mounds can be dug out using a shovel, becoming Hard_Ground.

Replace the player's Pickaxe with a shovel. The Player can only hold one load of material in their Shovel. When a pit is created, the material must be deposited somewhere (to create a Mound) before the shovel can be used for anything else.

Your post leave me... Shocked seriously you are very helpful!

Currently I only have 2 block types (which can be destroyed) so I have not made much progress on that topic yet >.<U

But I like so much your idea. Thus I'll can remove one layer from the maps (currently there are 3 layers. You break blocks from layer 2, so blocks from layer 1 are shown then), improving the performance. When I finish with particles I'll draw a picture with the blocks structure of your post, and of course all the sprites related (uff).

If you don't mind, I'll put in credits when it's over; you have solved a big problem in approach Smiley
PyVr
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »

Well, I have been without internet connection this week due ISP problem >.< so I've taken to finish the particle simulator. Here I leave a picture:

And a video:

The downloads for different platform can be found in http://pyvr.monkeycoders.com at bottom. I don't know if it will work on linux, sorry <.<

The next step is to implement it in game (Almost done) and do what Jasmine said Wink

Estoy feliz de ayudar. Wink
Gracias otra vez Smiley
PyVr
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »

I've been very busy this week for work issues, but here I leave the last update from Cavade (nothing impressive, but well Shrug)

Cheers!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic