Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:26:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNon-standard roguelike settings
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Non-standard roguelike settings  (Read 30926 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned UnReal World yet. The setting isn't just unique, it's also used really, really well, to the point where every single thing in the game, from items and character classes right down to the very game mechanics is somehow grounded in Nordic history, folklore or mythology, or a combination of the three.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »

Katamari roguelike, anyone?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2010, 08:31:32 AM »

Bacteria roguelike would be badass.

I think any theme on a smaller scale than our own would be pretty bad ass.  I'd totally play an insect themed roguelike.  I dunno how it would end up procedural. 

...I dare someone to create a racing sim RL.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »

generally not a fan of dungeon crawlers probably because of the whole Middle-Earth theme, must admit though Torchlight looks cool be Youtubin' it lately, oddly interested.

how about eh...

Deity Rogue-Like

Based upon Religion, where many Gods rule the sky but conflicting ideologies lead to war among the masses, many are quick to say "No you must follow this!" and blood is soon to follow. Creating a character has you choosing a God to follow upon therefore inheriting powers based on the belief & gifts that runs thru your veins.

Features:
Abilities: are inherited from the Deity you follow taking on the Pros & Cons
PvE (Invade): take on different cities with you're fellow comrades
Prayer: is necessary to receive a divine gifts, but ask for too much & prepare for disappointments
Sin & Punishment do to free will, one is always free to change sides and this will do Good as well as Wrong taking on former comrades as enemies.

Also the Submarine RL is pretty decent, def get to work on that one dude. Sorta Bioshock-ish feel with Diablo-esque functions.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »

...I dare someone to create a racing sim RL.

IMO some things must remain on the real-time realm...

magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »

I dunno Formula D is a lot of fun. I can't think of a way to translate it to a roguelike right off the top of my head but I'm sure it could be done.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2010, 09:22:46 AM »

I dunno Formula D is a lot of fun. I can't think of a way to translate it to a roguelike right off the top of my head but I'm sure it could be done.
Took the words right outta my mouth. If you have any love for board games, you NEED Formula D.
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »

Everything can and should be made into a roguelike.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:39 PM »

Street Rogue

Do you have what it takes to be the best fighter in the world?

Combine core RL concept with games like fighters, slash-fighters, beat'em ups, open-world/sandbox and superhero games, etc.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 06:50:47 AM »

Everything can and should be made into a roguelike.

Heh, funny thing about that. Just about every game setting idea I've ever proposed had at least one person suggesting that it should start as a roguelike.
ChomperTheSharptooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2010, 06:06:57 AM »

One based off of the book Battle Royale would be beyond challenging to make and play (especially with a horrible start like a skillet) but I think it'd make for a great Rougelike.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »

What about a "Serial Killer" RL? Tongue

Yeah, bad joke :D

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

AH!  I've been trying to remember the name of this series ever since I played it at a game convention in Denver when I was a kid!  Thanks!

The whole "gear x=n-sided die" mechanic is BRILLIANT!

I doubt any of my friends would be interested if I were to buy it though. =|
gamete
Level 0

Party Time

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »

Barfight RL

• Traveling the world and mastering the art of picking fights in places you're not supposed to.
  • Lots of improvised weapons and whatnot.
  • Other uses of the environment, like kicking tables down to take cover under.
  • Learn new fighting techniques as you level up.
  • Become more powerful as your blood alcohol level increases

Foodfight RL could be a kid friendly version.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »

This thread is amazing. Thank you, guys, for doing this. Smiley

HellRogue

Basically you wander the infinite procedurally generated plains of hell, encountering horrible monsters (think Dwarf Fortress PG demons) and rotting, abandoned areas - an urban city, a castle, a temple, half of an apartment building. You can find other damned souls and slowly, slowly become a demon yourself, as your body is torn into corruption and distortion. No real goal; you just wander into the wastelands and find terrible PG Beksiński things.

Would anyone play this one?
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »

What about a "Serial Killer" RL? Tongue

Yeah, bad joke :D

http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=1298.0

It actually looks really well made and I plan on playing it as soon as it is released.  Evil

EDIT: So upon actually rereading that thread, I realize now that it is a hoax and I actually get your bad joke...
Wait for it...
Almost there...
Delayed ever so slightly...
lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:43:34 PM by Dozer » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »

One based off of the book Battle Royale would be beyond challenging to make and play (especially with a horrible start like a skillet) but I think it'd make for a great Rougelike.

SOMEBODY.
DO THIS.
PLLEEEEEEEEEASSE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)#Plot

AUST
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »

This thread is amazing. Thank you, guys, for doing this. Smiley

HellRogue

Basically you wander the infinite procedurally generated plains of hell, encountering horrible monsters (think Dwarf Fortress PG demons) and rotting, abandoned areas - an urban city, a castle, a temple, half of an apartment building. You can find other damned souls and slowly, slowly become a demon yourself, as your body is torn into corruption and distortion. No real goal; you just wander into the wastelands and find terrible PG Beksiński things.

Would anyone play this one?

Fuck yes. As I read this, images of Beksinski and Barlowe ran through my mind, before I even saw you mention the former. Procedural hellbeasts would be The Best

Town Guard RL

You ain't an adventurer. Maybe you did that in your younger days but you've settled down, now. You are a member of the Town Guard. This is as much about fighting as it is about securing your social status in the town. I mean you could just do your job and nothing more - rid Granny Rowe's basement of giant rats, stop the summoning of a demon in the local church, assist the occasional adventurer on a small portion of his or her journey, or help them through a mission commissioned by the town itself - but if that's all you do, you'll be seen as the distant creepy guy who has no friends and takes his work too seriously. Lighten up. Have some drinks. Get to know the town. I mean you've got to protect these people, so cherish them while you can, because once they're gone they're gone for good. Granny Rowe won't bake you cookies if she don't know you, but she can't if she's dead either. Town might grow, but slowly. Not so quickly that every death will be immediately replaced by another life. Slowly enough that if you fail a mission too badly and too many people fall, the place will seem empty for quite a while. Get to know a local lady, if you like. Court her and get married. And stay on the good side of your fellow town guards - more than merely attacking you, they can make your life a hell should you prove yourself disloyal or untrustworthy. After all, you are not a hero.

You can choose to play in a large or small town, and anything in between - large towns are bustling with foreigners, traders, heroes, and underground societies. It will be impossible to get to know everyone personally. Small towns are quieter and slower, with generally smaller problems (though they're usually the first to be targeted by Evil Wizard Conquest Regimes and such). You can get to know everyone if you try hard enough.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:08 AM »

SOMEBODY.
DO THIS.
PLLEEEEEEEEEASSE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)#Plot
Shocked

That would be so awesome.  I don't think you could preserve the plot or characters very well in a roguelike setting though, in that case you'd be closer to an adventure game or graphical IF.

hi
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

Not that plot.

Just a roguelike based on the idea of the Battle Royale High School Program.

Get put on an island with a bunch of other randomly genned teenagers with varying traits, given random weapons and dispersed to attempt to survive.

People's personality traits would affect their tendency to crack under duress.

AUST
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic