Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:25:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Doomed] Small Trading Roguelike
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [Doomed] Small Trading Roguelike  (Read 8256 times)
Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »

All right, a few updates!

Above is a screenshot clipped so that you can see it at "actual size" -- so it's part of the screen rather than the whole screen (the actual games runs at 1024x640 right now). I've upped the tile size to 16x16, which seems like the sweet spot for now. You can also see, in the cash count, the new font I'm using, which is Texture Fancy by tsampson of fontstruct.com. It's used under the terms of the Creative Commons attribution/share alike license.

I've been tweaking the world-generation code, and you can see the more-interesting monster tile configurations and a halfway-decent desert, with a city in it.

Under the hood, I have the bare bones of the trade system implemented: the game tracks how much wood, glass, books, gears and phosphor the player has (the only 5 goods I've included so far, but it will be very simple to add more), and the player can purchase these goods from cities. No selling yet, though  Tongue, although I have a plan for that all ready to go. Once I put selling in, I'll probably shift focus to coming up with some interesting tiles and general map generation. Oh, and I've also included a basic trait, "hunter." The idea for traits is for them to be aspects of your character that significantly change the game. You choose one when you start a game and gain one per level up, for a max of four, probably. With the hunter trait, you get gold from monsters you slay -- the more powerful the more gold! So it can be easy to scoot through a few monster tiles and rack up some gold, but there's always the chance you'll run into something you can't beat and be killed.

I have plenty of ideas of my own, but I'd be interested to hear what sort of fantasy world goods people would be interested in trading. The stranger the better.       

And oh, what the hell. I'll bump this up to 10% complete!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:46:31 AM by Giaddon » Logged

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »

Dragon Teeth!!!

why would people want a dragon's teeth? because of a very simple spell you can cast to transform them into skeleton warriors like in Jason and the Argonauts (yes I know it was the Hydra's teeth shut up already) also "oh no robbers", good thing I have this shipment of dragons teeth, about 3 should be enough to protect me and my goods.

Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 05:12:25 AM »

Awesome idea! Dragon teeth are definitely going in there! Coffee

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:37 AM »

have you ever played dwarf fortress? you do a lot of trading and one of the things that is neat is you can cage animals with cage traps and then sell them to caravans(dont think this works in the actual game I think the dwarves just dump out whatever is in the cage and bring the empty one. do not trade a dragon). maybe you can set traps on your way around and catch animals to sell. also will you have a shanty/home/castle/fortress where you keep all your money?

Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 05:18:50 AM »

I am honestly too afraid of Dwarf Fortress to get close to it! Trapping is a neat idea, but stuff like that will probably be handled in the abstract with things like the hunter trait. I don't want to get too carried away with features, especially since this is my first time making a game! I need to keep it simple(ish).

The player starts in a small trading outpost (which he has founded) and as he gets money though the game he can pay to upgrade it with a some buildings that affect the player in different ways (basically each tier of development can fit in only a few buildings, so choosing which ones to build is an important decision). Eventually this trading post can be developed into a full city.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic