Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411908 Posts in 69429 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 09, 2024, 10:21:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePlanet Zero logo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Planet Zero logo  (Read 4669 times)
EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »

Got bored of the coding so this is what I've been working on today.
I'm overall contempt with the result, however can't help but feel something is missing or out of place, can't put my finger on it.

Since I'm a coder and not a designer, I'm asking for some critique from the experts.

Thanks.

P.S.:
If you have any pointers as to what I should do to achieve cleaner designs, that would be great!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:17:06 PM by EddieBytes » Logged

Check out our thread for Boltus
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »

I'm no expert, but to me the Electric jolts moving through the letters look out of place, like they were added with MS paint, but that is all I can find fault with.

It also looks like it comes from the late nineties. Which is a plus for me.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »

I'm no expert, but to me the Electric jolts moving through the letters look out of place, like they were added with MS paint.
I'm not sure, but I think you might be right. However, I have no idea how to make them integrate better with the rest of the image. Sad
Can anyone suggest anything?

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »

What if you had the text wrapping around a planet with similar lines going along it?
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »

What if you had the text wrapping around a planet with similar lines going along it?
The thing is that would imply a complete redesign. And the 'text wrapping around a planet' idea is kind of overused, you see it everywhere there's a planet involved. The Universal Studios logo comes to mind.

Like tergem said earlier, the energy flowing through the letters doesn't really blend in with the all the rest, I'm looking for a way to fix that.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:20:06 PM by EddieBytes » Logged

Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »

Maybe dim the entire image and then add light uh, circles, coming out from the electrical spots -- as if they are illuminating the image. That will at least make them look more in the world.

EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »

Maybe dim the entire image and then add light uh, circles, coming out from the electrical spots -- as if they are illuminating the image. That will at least make them look more in the world.
Hmm, you're right. Better put, perhaps there should be more contrast between the front of the letters (very bright) and the sides of the letters (a lot darker).
Thanks.

Let me know if anyone has more opinions, I'm (very) interested to hear them out.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »

Wow, I hate it! It definately looks like it's made by someone who's not an artist, because it's a really basic concept COVERED in brushes n oil n lights n whatnot. I think all the smudging and shading are just to cover up the shapes underneath that you're not happy with. Instead of adding a tonne of effects, you should've just bit the bullet n came up with a new concept.

Anyway the main thing is that you wanna be more clean and readable with the shapes in the logo, and forget about making it "look good".
Like here's the same thing, made with all the same stuff, but with less noise:

And I think that's a way stronger, more readable image. I did the electricity animated because A) I couldn't think of how to fit it in there without obscuring the text, and B) lightning looks better in motion.

If you were to try a new concept though, I'm gonna suggest having the planet in the logo:

Note; this is like 3 solid shapes^
BUT I don't know what the game's about, so all I can comment on is how attractive it looks.
iffi
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »

Since I'm a coder and not a designer, I'm asking for some critique from the experts.
I'm no expert either, but my first impression of it is that it looks very blurry and the name (which I presume is the important part) doesn't stand out like it should. Instead it just blends in with the similar drab colors as if it doesn't want to be seen.
More contrast, along with a variety of other possible changes (I like how I_smell raised the letters in his modification to make it pop out at you more) would help improve its readability.

This is the main problem I find with the logo - no part of the image really draws the viewer's eyes immediately, except maybe the "EddieBytes'" at the top. In contrast, the first thing I notice in I_smell's modification (the top image) is "Planet Zero," and the second is "EddieBytes'," which is probably the order you want people to notice things in the logo.

Also, I agree with those who said that the electric lines look out of place. They should appear to illuminate the surroundings more (like the "EddieBytes'" part does), as opposed to just being white lines. Some of the shapes of the electric lines are a bit iffy IMO - as of now the electric lines are the parts of the name that draw the most attention, but it's hard to tell what the name of the game is by just looking at those lines, since some of them (like the 'P' and the 'R') don't really resemble the letters, forcing people to look at the letters in the background to read the name, which is inconvenient given that the letters right now look as if they're part of the background. Also, if possible, animate the electricity. As I_smell said, lightning/electricity looks better in motion.
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »

Thank you both for the awesome critics! You're definitely right in all your arguments, and thanks I_smell for taking your time to do the images to illustrate your point.

My logo sucks, I still have a lot to learn. Mainly, my drawings are too dirty, I find it VERY difficult to make them clean, don't know what I'm doing wrong there.

The logo is too cluttered, you are right. I will take your advices and get back to you with the results. It might take some time, as I'm coding right now.

Thanks again for the great reviews!

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 02:07:56 AM »

Whoa, I really dig I_smell's first retake of the logo. If you recolor the letters to be brighter (perhaps either light blue or yellow), I think it'll really stand out and have that "WHOA, LOOK AT THIS!" factor.

EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »

Ok, took I_smell's advice, bit the bullet and came up with something simpler.

The space background is not part of the logo, I made that just so there's something behind the logo.
Took me the entire weekend, if you can believe it, and so, so, so much anger!!!! Angry

I'm still not pleased with it, I hate the fact that, because of it being white, it can't be used on light backgrounds, just dark ones. And I am definitely not pleased with that contour, tried so many things and this is the best I could come up with.

As much as I love doing art, I hate my life right now. Regardless, tell me what you think, guys, critique appreciated as always.  Concerned

P.S: thanks for the tips I_smell, they were good advice. Thanks Strife and iffi and the rest too, I also took your advices into consideration when I redesigned the logo, they were put to good use as you can see.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:06:12 PM by EddieBytes » Logged

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »

Can't see the picture! And I'm very curious about how it went. Grin
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »

Can't see the picture! And I'm very curious about how it went. Grin
thanks, fixed.

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »

I'd say it's a mayor inprovement. Alot more clean and readable! I also like how you incorporated the planet into the background.

Might add that I'm a little bit annoyed by the "t" though, looks more like "Plane Zero", with some additional logo-thingie, to me. I think it might look alot better if it follows the same style as the rest of the letters. Just an opinion though.
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:08 PM »

Might add that I'm a little bit annoyed by the "t" though, looks more like "Plane Zero", with some additional logo-thingie, to me. I think it might look alot better if it follows the same style as the rest of the letters. Just an opinion though.

I have mixed feelings about the 'T'. Had some hard times designing it, and I'm not that happy with it myself. Perhaps I should give it another try then, eh?

EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

Ok, redesigned the 'T'. Let me know which one looks better (ignore the grid lines in the background, they're not part of the logo):

Also, other feedback is very welcome!

iffi
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:38 AM »

I like the one on top - it seems more consistent to me. The bottom one could possibly (I don't see it as very likely, but you never know) be misread as "Plane Zero" with a logo next to "Plane."
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 12:13:54 AM »

The top one, definitely. ^_^ Loving it. The logo in general has a nice, soft sci-fi feel.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic