Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:54:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe "frustrated game designer" thread...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The "frustrated game designer" thread...  (Read 4973 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »

Maybe it's a good thing that design is the last subforum to get a "frustrated/grumpy/etc" thread (or very close to it). But there is a LOT of frustration that circulates OUTSIDE of the design aspects; because more often than not, a good game designer is mediocre-at-best at everything else involved, the art, the programming, the sound/music... and sometimes nothing is more frustrating for a grand-vision title than "mediocre-to-bad everything else."

So go on! Let it out. What's giving you trouble?

Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »

Writing a design document... It's probably better that I'm taking the time to do this but I just want to get in the game!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »

having cool ideas, but don't work mechanic wise.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »

ditto. I also HATE when you have to rework the entire system due to a little lack of attention to detail early on.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »

I have some great ideas but they require too much art/good art that I'm not really capable of and I want to make my first game alone.
I really try to think up ideas like World of Goo, Knytt Stories, Angry Birds, Gish etc. which have some well-defined simple mechanic around which the whole game is built. And it doesn't need fuckloads of art.

Does anyone have such idea which they would let me steal? :D
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »

I have some great ideas but they require too much art/good art that I'm not really capable of and I want to make my first game alone.
I really try to think up ideas like World of Goo, Knytt Stories, Angry Birds, Gish etc. which have some well-defined simple mechanic around which the whole game is built. And it doesn't need fuckloads of art.

Let me check my list

Edit: I have one that is like A Boy and His Blob, except with dogs (i.e. a wiener dog stretches out to build a bridge, an Alaskan Husky pushes large things, etc.) there doesn't have to be that many dogs or a variety of areas.

P.S. I also hate when there's too much art. Even if I'm good at it, it takes too long and I can't animate that good. I even changed the art style of a game I'm working on to be more simplistic so there is less work.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:31:11 PM by Goodbye » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »

Management game, I can't design without a goal structure very well, adding busywork is not designing, it's hiding incompetence.

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »

Trying to make an NES style platformer that combines Mega Man style levels with a Metroidvania persistant world, but I have no idea where to start, level design wise. Should I map out the entire world? Just start with level and build it up from there? Start at the beginning or the middle or the end?

Not to mention I can't think of any original powerups for Metroidvania style progression.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »

Management game, I can't design without a goal structure very well, adding busywork is not designing, it's hiding incompetence.
I think that the basic structure for a management game is having numerous end goals, then intertwining the paths to those goals. I wouldn't know though, I haven't designed any management games.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

Trying to make an NES style platformer that combines Mega Man style levels with a Metroidvania persistant world, but I have no idea where to start, level design wise. Should I map out the entire world? Just start with level and build it up from there? Start at the beginning or the middle or the end?

Not to mention I can't think of any original powerups for Metroidvania style progression.

I think a good way to do it is to get a building and make different parts of the building  the different levels. But, instead of Dracula's castle, you could make it a factory where the game takes place so that the different levels could involve robots. For example, the loading dock, or the assembly line, or whatever. You don't even have to have that many powerups if you use security door clearance instead.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »

Let me check my list

Edit: I have one that is like A Boy and His Blob, except with dogs (i.e. a wiener dog stretches out to build a bridge, an Alaskan Husky pushes large things, etc.) there doesn't have to be that many dogs or a variety of areas.

P.S. I also hate when there's too much art. Even if I'm good at it, it takes too long and I can't animate that good. I even changed the art style of a game I'm working on to be more simplistic so there is less work.

I really like that game idea, man Smiley

EDIT: I'd play it...

Also, I'm jumping on the "art sucks" train...

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:12:55 PM »

Oh, and if I wasn't making west indies game I would have made 10 game with usual tropes manipulation. Too bad I can't let a challenge past beyond myself  Lips Sealed

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:23 AM »

First off, you always start off with two main things: physics and the powers. After that, you design your map and obstacles accordingly; perhaps some "obstacles" have more than one solution to them. Then you do the setting/graphical design and sound to be fitting and consistent. At least, that's my recommended course of action.

Also, power-ups don't have to be unique, even some of the popular Metroidvania games here use simple stuff like double jumps and shot variations. All that needs some uniqueness about it is how you make them useful. As far as MegaMan influence goes, I'd suggest you also consider some of the popular stage gimmicks in your level design, as well. From a Metroidvania perspective, THAT is what will make it stand out more than anything.

Take your pick. Although they may suffer the same setback as yours...

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:11:46 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

First off, you always start off with two main things: physics and the powers. After that, you design your map and obstacles accordingly; perhaps some "obstacles" have more than one solution to them. Then you do the setting/graphical design and sound to be fitting and consistent. At least, that's my recommended course of action.

Also, power-ups don't have to be unique, even some of the popular Metroidvania games here use simple stuff like double jumps and shot variations. All that needs some uniqueness about it is how you make them useful. As far as MegaMan influence goes, I'd suggest you also consider some of the popular stage gimmicks in your level design, as well. From a Metroidvania perspective, THAT is what will make it stand out more than anything.
That gives me some good ideas, thanks.

I think a good way to do it is to get a building and make different parts of the building  the different levels. But, instead of Dracula's castle, you could make it a factory where the game takes place so that the different levels could involve robots. For example, the loading dock, or the assembly line, or whatever. You don't even have to have that many powerups if you use security door clearance instead.

Mm, I was thinking about security style doors, but rather than keycards or whatever they would require certain weapons to destroy them.

HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »

I can't find a good team or partner that'll stick with me. frustrating indeed.

I really dislike Game Maker, and I don't wanna make another game with RPG Maker VX, but it's my only option for now if I want to make another game solo.
Dabind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

ditto. I also HATE when you have to rework the entire system due to a little lack of attention to detail early on.
Or when it works perfectly fine until you try to implement something new, then the whole thing goes to hell.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »

don't design games, MAKE games
Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »

Coming up with (what you consider) a killer idea, having it visualised, written out, drawn up, conceptualised, even dreamt about. You've got the programming skills, the vision, the ability to create "decent" artwork...

... and you haven't written one line of code, and know it'll take thousands of more. And the dreams wash away...

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »

Waiting on art is probably one of the more frustrating things for me. Designing the game is fun, programming the game is fun, I can essentially do art at an above average level, but waiting on someone else to do art is something irritating, though we have good communication, so it's not the worst. The biggest thing is probably learning a new language/learning to code period. Being new to coding, it was horrible when you ran into your first serious bugs D:. HUD coding is also the most tedious thing I've done in awhile. xD

iffi
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »

I have ideas but lack the motivation to turn them into reality. I like to think I'm decent at coding, but I find it to be such a pain that thinking about it makes me lose whatever motivation I have.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic