Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:35:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMemory of a Broken Dimension
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Memory of a Broken Dimension  (Read 35602 times)
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:31:12 PM by XRA » Logged

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:17:36 AM »

Intriguing!
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »

Looks quite nice. I am looking forward to some none-cryptic information on it.
Sigz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

Color me interested.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »

so this was going to becoming a game.

looking forward to it a lot. Gentleman
Attacklife
Level 0

Yes Indeedy.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »

So I've been lurking for a bit and just joined up. I saw pictures of this several times around the forum and was so interested I checked out your profile in an attempt to locate some information about this game. of course i found nothing Lips Sealed

But now I shall be watching this devlog with the utmost curiosity. WAITING TO CONSUME THIS GOODNESS Evil
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »

some more random info!
been working on the FPS camera last night and I think it is in a good feeling state, I'm attempting to make it feel far-removed from the twitchy FPS cameras many are used to.  That might frustrate some, but my goal is to have lots of subtle or graceful movement, and avoid the "i can flip around 180 degrees in 2 milliseconds" thing.

The next thing to work on related to camera is adding in some old school parallax scrolling behavior into the interference/noise effects, that react to the movement of the camera... turning the camera should feel like swiping a sensor through a dense electromagnetic fog.

Ideally everything the player sees or hears should be modulated in some way for sensory feedback related to their position, speed, etc...

Right now I'm roughing out a more complete puzzle and navigation challenge, still in the process of developing a toolbox of challenges (and finding standards that work) that can be combined in interesting ways to build levels.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:37:25 PM »

Really glitchy and stuff. Interesting idea - what kind of game will it be?

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »

at the moment kinda a heavily atmospheric FPS exploration / puzzle game, and also a way to experiment with narrative.  
The main thing with the narration is ideally at times it would be awesome if the Player feels as if they are the main character, using a tool (playing the game) to solve puzzles and discover things.  Though that may be tough since I need to provide other scenes where it isn't from the Player's point of view, but I've been thinking of doing something a bit like montages, and keeping all the camera viewpoints from familiar positions that make sense for a point of view shot or even actual cameras surveying things.  Still really in the early stages of planning that stuff!  

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:03:40 PM »

Sounds fantastic. Find a good story for it.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »

been working on quasi-functional ground-based observatory and satellite plotting... using coordinates of real observatories.   Orbits are a bit simplified, areas become accessible based on line of sight to satellites and their streams of data... not sure what to do with the observatories yet.  
  Hand PencilNinjaHand Any Key

*edit*
stuff like HAARP, Arecibo, EISCAT, the Sura Ionospheric Heating Facility, the Very Large Array, etc + other interesting things as I find them for sending/receiving signals...  There will also be fictional ones too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:12:52 AM by XRA » Logged

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 03:08:45 AM »

got some faked elliptical orbits working and the line of sight stuff works too from ground locations.  the ground stuff probably will gradually become available (based on something) allowing more uninterrupted connections to satellites and increased time in levels...

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:12 PM »

I think I'm in a bit of a slump, trying to figure out what to focus on... momentum has slowed. I was at a 10 hour game jam this weekend and burnt too much time on the satellite/selection UI stuff, I think it needs to be simplified.  I did get some eyes on what I'm doing, most people were satisfyingly confused/wtf  Huh?

This evening I took post-it notes and wrote down all the important level themes, montages/scenes or key moments I could think of, and stuck them on the wall.  That helped give an overview of what I'm dealing with and I can move them around as needed, I haven't tried ordering them just yet.
http://twitpic.com/5zoomn

The level themes seems like a good idea though, there are six total at the moment, well seven if you count the potential final one.

I think my goal for this week is to get a skeleton of the game in place, even if it means absolutely placeholder box levels, I think having all the pieces I can think of, in-place and linked, will help me balance the actual content creation / building process, along with identifying what is lacking etc.... what do you think?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:32:27 PM by XRA » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »

Good idea with the post-it notes. That'll help to keep sure that you don't go crazy with lack of direction.

Having props pre-designed can help a lot, though you probably won't be able to get every item you could think of designed, and will most likely go back to designing something you need later. I think that just going about things logically, and especially having logical bounds on the levels can help a lot. Not having boundaries can really kill development, as you don't know which direction the level should go in (which is part of the reason why I stopped development on one such project of my own).

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »

FOLLOWING +1
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »

for your follow, I bring an uneventful screenshot of what I'm doing tonight:

Roughing in / greyboxin level geometry in SketchUp. One of the many things I love about SketchUp is making something a component, then tiling it a few times, and working on the component while seeing the changes update to the tiled parts... great for making modular chunks.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 03:48:28 AM »

started messin around with SketchUp to 3D Coat workflow again, baked out a normal map.  Trying to find a fast technique for adding surface details, this was attempt # 8 or 9..  Tired

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 06:29:44 AM »

Nice pillar. Very good normal map. So, I see the game will be in 3D, and will use GLSL or HLSL, right? It's looking good.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »

@SolarLune, I'm using Unity3D and their shader lab stuff, it uses Cg/HLSL 

I'm a little worried that what I'm doing (and haven't yet shown) could potentially be handled as a vertex shader and be very fast, but I'm not sure how to write out all the vector related transforms I'm doing on object's positions and scale.  I might look into it but it could be just a waste of time..

Tonight I improved performance by what seems like some huge amount, by converting my old code that used Unity's ArrayLists into fixed-size arrays.. really fast.  Now my biggest issue to tackle for performance is draw calls.  I was thinking maybe if I create a skeletal mesh that just puts each object's verts assigned to a bone, that might be faster.

namragog
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »

Following this like a brick road. A yellow one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic