Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:14:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Humble Indie Bundle #3
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle #3  (Read 40973 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »

Plus inflation.

At a rate of 3% inflation, in 20 years 500,000 dollars would be equivalent to having $271,897. Assuming a decay of 3% and a growth of 5% per year(which seems incredibly high to me) you'd effectively have $721,423 in today's money. Assuming you pay out $25,000 a year to live, you'd have money for just short of 29 years. Assuming you're in you're 30, you'll be broke after you turned 59. You'd have nothing left. At the somewhat frail age of 59, you'd also probably have very limited means of procuring income, aside from government or family support. This 29 years would also only last assuming no disasters ever occurred and you never, ever, ever, stepped over the $25,000/year limit. Oh, and naturally it's assuming that your inflation and interest rates never change-- that's important too. You certainly wouldn't be living a luxurious life.

[EDIT]
to note, I'm not trying to pick on you, but I thought it would be fun to do the math and challenge how well someone could actually do it.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »

i heard mc hammer just used his bankruptcy as a ruse and actually secretly still had millions at the time, and just didn't want to pay all his bills. bankruptcy law is crazy that way

and yeah, inflation would affect it, but that's assuming you use *all* the interest and don't add some of the interest to the total. if you live on 20k instead of 25k, you could add 5k to the total each year, which might keep pace with inflation

that's also assuming you never make another cent from your game after the humble indie game bundle, never make any more games or sell them, etc. etc.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »

Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to assume what someone would do and what would happen over the course of the rest of their life.

Overall though, I think moi was right that you couldn't really live off of it for the rest of your life. While it's possible, you'd have to either die young or give up most luxuries of life.

Nix
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »

or invest well
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »

not with just 166000 dollars (which is what indie bundlers earn in average)
If you earn  less than 300k, You have to keep working (except if you're derek yu, in which case you just keep playing xbox on your couch and forget about making games and managing forums and compos)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »

i think derek's working on spelunky xbla

Zaphos
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

"Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do shit."

I find this strange. Last I remember it didn't have radio buttons and was just a textbox.. Huh.
Why did they even give the $100 option explicitly? That doesn't seem very humble.
I think they're split testing a variety of ways to select the amount to pay?  So it randomly shows a different UI to some people and sees if they pay more or less as a result of that.
AshfordPride
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »

It's taken you guys three bundles to catch wind of this shit, you nerds are always two steps behind.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »

Four. Don't forget Frozenbyte. Durr...?
AshfordPride
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »

Four. Don't forget Frozenbyte. Durr...?

They should stop numbering the indie bundles so people, like me, don't realize how many there have been.

The next one should just be 'The Bundle'

Followed by 'The Humble Indie Bundle: Don't Go Back to Jonathon Blow Lake'

Moving on to 'Bundle X'

Then we can just reboot it a few years later.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »

Humble Bundle versus Steam Summer Sale: The return of Derek Yu: In Space

Steel Storm is better than the description let on. Feels sort of like if they took Gradius and gave you free roaming, except without the one hit kills. I dislike how floaty the controls are, but the basic game is a good solid base.

The passing jibe of "Sorry there's no easy mode" when I went to quit was a little unexpected.

I have two free weeks of minecraft. I have a buddy who has a private server, but it's currently down because of problems with griefers or something. Where do all the cool TIG kids play minecraft multiplayer online?
Sakar
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »

Where do all the cool TIG kids play minecraft multiplayer online?
I play on my private server
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »

that said, anyone who gets into the humble indie game bundle will never need to have a job ever again, because based on past bundles they're likely to make hundreds of thousands of dollars each, so it's a bit disingenuous to use that pic there. the actually poor indies are not the ones who get into the humble bundle

This x 1000. The level of entitlement on this shit is sickening. I think I'll buy it for one cent with all proceeds going to the charities.

Theophilus
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »

You're only donating one cent to charities? cheap ass.

Cheesy
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »

i bought it for more than a cent, but i also gave it all to charity. to be clear, i don't have anything against them earning a lot of money; it's great that they're doing so. but to expect to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars and *still* use a picture of a poor person is what rubs me the wrong way. and i know they probably can't live on the money for the rest of their lives, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but they're still earning more money in one week than any of us earn in a year. when you do that you should give up the right to make someone feel guilty about paying less than a dollar by saying you have no food, particularly when there are other people who actually can't pay for food

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »

Yeah, people like P-Eres and me know what it's like to suffer thru poverty while doing this shit... We ain't no indie elite hipsters tryna cry poor when they pullin 10 k a minute... sheeeit... we keep it real cuz dat's alll we gotz bruh. P-eres up in this bitch with phu-banz. WORD.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2011, 08:13:11 PM »

Yeah, people like P-Eres and me know what it's like to suffer thru poverty while doing this shit... We ain't no indie elite hipsters tryna cry poor when they pullin 10 k a minute... sheeeit... we keep it real cuz dat's alll we gotz bruh. P-eres up in this bitch with phu-banz. WORD.

I see you've been reading the TT's on Twitter.  Big Laff

@Jimmy
I see. I wasn't aware of that!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »

I find this strange. Last I remember it didn't have radio buttons and was just a textbox.. Huh.
Why did they even give the $100 option explicitly? That doesn't seem very humble.
I think they're split testing a variety of ways to select the amount to pay?  So it randomly shows a different UI to some people and sees if they pay more or less as a result of that.
MERCHANDIZING EXPERIMENTS...That's what they're doing with the venture capital money that apparently noone wants to talk about except myself

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »

well, my family is poor but not as bad as some. on the poor side i have no health care, no car, and only a few hundred dollars in savings, but on the wealthy side we still have cable television, air conditioning (in the living room, but not in the bedrooms), an xbox360, and two computers, so things could definitely be worse (there are definitely poorer indies than me)

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »

It's true that anyone in on a 'humble' bundle is hardly begging for food, but man, there is NO way to win when it comes to image as an indie.

Tell people you're not making any money, and you get an earful of "Obviously you suck at making games and you deserve to fail so I'm gonna pirate all your stuff to teach you a lesson"

Tell people you are making money and you get an earful of "Obviously you're a soulless sellout who traded artistic integrity for gold-plated dickwipers, you don't need any more money, I'm gonna pirate all your stuff to stick it to the man"

Quite often you get both at the same time. Smiley

... I wonder if you'd get less hassle if you really were buying ludicrous bling with your proceeds and posting about it all the time. Probably not though.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic