Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 07:09:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSkyward Sword
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Skyward Sword  (Read 78510 times)
JoGribbs
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »

Imma attempt to revive this topic because reasons

Old E3 roundtable where they talk about TP-style dark world light-seed collecting action, where you don't have a sword and you have to sneak past enemies!
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »

girahim is best ever

Lo
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »

You know, I thought Spirit Tracks had some of the most interesting dungeon designs in the series.......and I kinda dislike Zelda (well, I still need to check out Link's Awakening).

Skyward looks pretty darn great. That sky world looks pretty amazing and TOTALLY fitting for using the planetoid concepts from the SMG series.
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 04:04:46 AM »

=

Puh  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 04:08:02 AM »

girahim is best ever
He looks so emo. I wonder when we have hipster enemy?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 04:32:52 AM »

Emo? He looks like one of those crossdressing J-Pop singers if anything.

Have you noticed how Zelda has been getting progressively more animu-like since the N64 era?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:38:28 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:25 AM »

Ok, your right though his hair style is emoish to me.

Uykered
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »

My favourite parts are the door cutscenes and motion controls, best game ever!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 05:35:35 AM »

I'd argue that, rather than becoming more 'animu', it's simply reflecting the concept art more which is always influenced by the manga and anime of the time.

Twilight Princess itself seemed heavily inspired by Miyazaki's films. Not sure what to say about Skyward Sword, apart from what Miyamoto's already said about impressionism.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 05:46:52 AM »

But in LOZ and Link's Awakening, the actual in-game graphics looked nothing like that. Though that may have been due to technical limitations.

Also when I say "animu" I'm not talking about, like, Miyazaki, I'm talking about stereotypical anime tropes like expository storytelling and over-the-top flamboyant characters*, the graphics are only one part of the equation. I mean Zelda is far from being Final Fantasy or sth right now, but the series has been slowly moving in that direction, one step at a time.

*yes i know there are animus that don't contain these things
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:52:40 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »

well, link to the past and links awakening looked like typical japanese games did back then, but one thing that's important to remember, even though the japanese character art style has been prevalent in the zelda series, it has always had its own style, so it hasn't slowly been shifting into animö, it's always been there.

My own art-boner have always been for the lovely noses in the zelda series:

Weird, I know!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:52:02 AM by eld » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »

Zelda GB start the trend of flamboyant and wacky character, and majora push it a bit further.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »

And OOT started the trend towards expository storytelling.

BTW you guys don't have to be so defensive, I'm a huge Zelda fan and I didn't mean what I said in a negative way at all, it was just an observation.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »

You certainly don't remember the beginning of zelda 1 (huge wall of scrolling text), the beginning of zelda 3 (explain the holy war and the 6 sage) complete with zelda calling you and explaining everything to you once you reach her. I see a clear ramp up but it was there from the beginning.

COME ON, it's an observation on an observation did I sound defensive or take it negatively?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »

Nintendo promise the next zelda will be 2 to 3 times longer than the longest zelda twilight:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qp1E--5elcM

They might also call the game zelda craft

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »

I guess Zelda for me is like sex (or pizza): even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Although I tried replaying Twilight Princess about a year ago, and I quit a couple dungeons in out of disgust.  I don't know what that says about me.

@doomlaser, mark johns
leonelc29
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

zelda craft

or The Legend of Monster Hunter Link.

but it's still pretty awesome.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »

Isn't that way too long? I usually find myself struggling to finish Zelda games. But I'm not a big Zelda fan, so yeah.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »

I like my zelda around 20h too

this one have 100 mn of cinematic (what!)
have more than 100 dev on it (biggest number for a zelda game)
and might play like 100 h (or more)
Miyamoto sure love the 100 number in that tgs speech.

Also he said that if it don't meet the sales target, there might not be zelda game anymore, I guess the dev work hard as if it was the last zelda they ever made, so they pack the game with as much thing they can to deliver epicness.

I hope it's better than twilight who largely overstay its welcome, if it wasn't for midna, the game would have no redeeming quality. At least we might have some ganon origin story.

Bandages
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »

I've always hated the "if this doesn't sell well we might not make any more Sad((((" teaser. Mario Extreme Bungee Tennis 8 probably only sold 5 copies ever and they still made a 9th one. Nintendo loves their original characters and they will march them into new games until the heat death of the universe.

This is the first console zelda game I actually feel a bit iffy about. Probably because this is the first console zelda game that I will play that I am old enough to be a cynical ass and have my own opinions about what makes a good video game. If it does the same thing as any of the other platformers - that is to say, if it has interesting dungeons with some level of difficulty such that I can't just autopilot through everything- then I will be happy. If it has interesting characters, then I will be super happy. If it manages to have interesting characters, good dungeons AND drawn out frivelous sidequests for ridiculous and garish loot rewards, I will return to a primal state of childlike glee and clad excitedly whilst drool falls from my gaping mouth.

When's the darn thing come out, anyway?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic