Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:32:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsProfessional writer and editor seeks games writing experience
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Professional writer and editor seeks games writing experience  (Read 1268 times)
moonkid
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »

Hi all,

I'm a writer looking to get into writing (or editing) for games. I already write about games, and my work has been published on Gamasutra and Beefjack and in PC Powerplay magazine. I also write about other stuff, which has been published around the place, and I'm a qualified book editor. But I'm a creative at heart, and mere journalism isn't enough to scratch that itch.

I'm very aware that this is tricky business to get into, and that good writers often aren't as valued as they should be in the games industry. I think this is changing (just look at the difference the writing makes to a game like Bastion!), and I'd like to do what I can to boot it along in the right direction.

I am in the process of starting an indie studio with a few other guys, but it's taking a fair bit of time to get things rolling, and our first release isn't going to be all that heavy on the words in any case, so for now I just want to get some practice.

What I'm looking for is: any project at all that could benefit from a writer or editor. Whether its a text-heavy RPG, or a game of very few words, I'd like to think I can make those words the best that they can be. I'm interested in starting new projects from scratch, or in polishing things that already exist until their wordy bits shine like varnished comets (or anything in between). I'd be most interested in working on games that are original or unusual in some way, but I'd be foolish to be too picky at this stage.

If you're making money from my work, I'd obviously want to be paid, but I'm just as keen to work for nothing on some non-commercial projects, in order to build up a bit of a portfolio.

I've so far worked on just one project: an AGS adventure game demo, which you can find here: http://www.jennsand.com/vetluciedisastrous/vetLucieDisastrous.php (judge me only on the words, not the complete lack of sound or animation!)

And here's a link to another rather relevant piece of my work, a Gamasutra feature on Game Jam 2011: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6313/life_inside_a_game_jam.php

Anyone interested, reply or drop me a PM. I'd also appreciate any advice on other places I could go to seek out suitable projects.

Cheers!
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »

Here is a good place to test your skills.

http://www.choiceofgames.com/

They accept externally written games, and they pay you. Not much, but more importantly, you can get feedback from an established audience.

Read some of the top titles to gauge their quality bar. Then take a swing at writing one yourself. Seriously. Their system is the easiest of all for writers. Basically, you can write your game in a text editor. It's pretty simple. Your writing skills will be properly exercised.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:53:54 PM by Musenik » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic