Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:17:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsBest gaming program
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Best gaming program  (Read 10998 times)
MrJ
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:29:31 AM »

Hello, im kinda new here, and i dont know where to post,

what program you guys usually use to create games?
i want to create an rpg game, but i dont know what program to start with, im still studying game maker, i havent bought it yet, but if you guys can recommend some, please tell me
Vimmelv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:06 AM »

GCC

or ICC
MrJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »

well can you clarify GCC and ICC, still working on abbreviations here   Smiley
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:26 AM »

GameMaker's pretty good.

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:54:55 AM »

There is no "best game 'program'". If you really want to seriously make a game, you use a programming language or try to work up to using a programming language using Gamemaker or something.

Also- starting out making an RPG is like saying you'd like to start being a doctor and immediately doing open-heart surgery.

Toucantastic.
Vimmelv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:08:24 AM »

well can you clarify GCC and ICC, still working on abbreviations here   Smiley

GNU Compiler Collection and Intel C++ Compiler
MrJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:12:48 AM »

There is no "best game 'program'". If you really want to seriously make a game, you use a programming language or try to work up to using a programming language using Gamemaker or something.

Also- starting out making an RPG is like saying you'd like to start being a doctor and immediately doing open-heart surgery.

i know there is no best game program, from what i mean from the title, what is the most reliable and easy to use game program for RPG type games, and as i said sir, im still studying game maker (creating some silly games), im just asking for a good program for rpg games so once im experienced enough, ill start with the rpg,
genericuser
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:45:27 AM »

I'd like to advertise a guide I set up earlier*, which lists a few starting points.

*which, granted, isn't completely done
increpare
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:03:56 AM »

There's a popular program specifically targetted for making jrpgs called rpgmaker.  Some good things have been made in it.
MrJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »

well thanks for the link, i was trying to find one of this, might have missed it
Mr_Goober
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:25:21 AM »

Different software/engines/languages are oriented for the developers' tastes.

For example, designing a 2D game is not recommended in something that is designed to make 3D games (BlitzBasic and Blitz3D). Game Maker also has capabilities to make a 3D game, but it is very limited. GM was made primarily to make 2D games.

There's also a variety of engines and programs you can use to get the same result. Using C++/OpenGL or C#/XNA. Or maybe BlitzMax or DarkBASIC?

The equilibrium here is to find what is comfortable and flexible, but simple enough that you won't have a hard time ironing out syntax errors.

EDIT: I use BlitzMax and BYOND
MrJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:45:38 AM »

Different software/engines/languages are oriented for the developers' tastes.

For example, designing a 2D game is not recommended in something that is designed to make 3D games (BlitzBasic and Blitz3D). Game Maker also has capabilities to make a 3D game, but it is very limited. GM was made primarily to make 2D games.

There's also a variety of engines and programs you can use to get the same result. Using C++/OpenGL or C#/XNA. Or maybe BlitzMax or DarkBASIC?

The equilibrium here is to find what is comfortable and flexible, but simple enough that you won't have a hard time ironing out syntax errors.

EDIT: I use BlitzMax and BYOND

could you post a link sir for those program? i want to try those, ive been searching google for a program, but i cant find, almost all i found is you need to pay.. Sad( the link of your program would help me alot sir.
Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 05:54:33 AM »

Well if you really just want to do rpg games then get Rpg Maker VX or some other version of it.

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »

Hey Mr. J

There's actually a free version release of DarkBasic Pro:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?id=2000&m=view_product&page=free

The problem is it IS *supported by ad's* and it may come with license issues (like you can't sell your game, unless you purchase full version of DB) I'm not sure on that at all. It may be worth checking it out.

I checked out a Dark Basic trial yeeaars ago. It was pretty cool, but didn't know enough about code to actually do anything, and the time trial ran out..! Now I'm using GameMaker, really great program. And, despite it's rep as a 2d program, is fairly capable at 3d.. it's got a good core of simple, basic 3d functions, fully capable of making fine 3d games

Since your looking at making an RPG, I have to say for me you have 2 main choices: It's GameMaker, or RPGMaker (version whatever)

GameMaker will offer you tons of flexibility over your game, and it isn't 'limited' so when your project is finished (in the next 10 years!) you'll be able to make virtually any other genre, even 3d games.
Issues: You will need to learn to become a competent programmer with the GameMaker Language(GML), and yes, it's an easy language, but it will take time! The GM community is a fantastic place for help, though.

RPGMaker: Never used it, but even as a non-programmer I'm relatively certain you'd still be able to pick it up, and use it.. and as you get better with the program, I think there's a relative amount of flexibility *with in that genre*. But when your game is done, it's another RPG game.. Sad

Xardov
Level 1

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »

If you're just beginning, I suggest you try out ActionScript 3.  It's free, and it's pretty easy.  You can also make flash games with it.  http://flashdevelop.org

Beer!  Blog / Twitter / Google+  Beer!
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:06 AM »

I want to recommend PlayBasic. There is a free version. It has loads of 2d graphics features that you can easily use. Not to mention functions for music/collision/etc that do a lot of boiler-plate work for you. If you run into trouble you can ALWAYS ask in their forum for help and they will MORE than willing to help quickly. The syntax highlighter and manual document the language VERY WELL.

I also want to recommend this because it is NOT a what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, you do actual programming, giving you a head start towards whatever you'd like to use in the future as far as more main-stream programming languages go.

www.playbasic.com
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:11:27 AM by Trevor Dunbar » Logged

Toucantastic.
MrJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 02:52:34 AM »

I want to recommend PlayBasic. There is a free version. It has loads of 2d graphics features that you can easily use. Not to mention functions for music/collision/etc that do a lot of boiler-plate work for you. If you run into trouble you can ALWAYS ask in their forum for help and they will MORE than willing to help quickly. The syntax highlighter and manual document the language VERY WELL.

I also want to recommend this because it is NOT a what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, you do actual programming, giving you a head start towards whatever you'd like to use in the future as far as more main-stream programming languages go.

www.playbasic.com

thanks for recommending this, ive been trying some program making simple game, but some doesnt suit my taste, well ima try this when i get home, im putting up the list in which i will use and which i will buy. if i run into trouble, ill ask here in the forum. btw i can create my own sprite here right?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:44:16 AM by MrJ » Logged
nexus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »

Well, I started out, using Visual Basic for basic programs like file editors (save game editing for xbox 360 games) then after that and only file editing I anxiously moved over to c# and grasped the syntax in a few weeks. After finding out about the XNA framework and I could use it with C# I instantly started working on XNA.

I haven't released a game in XNA at the moment (I'm still learning for the most part) and have been working on a couple of games concepts.

I've noticed that game development in it's self (if it never required any code) is still hard. You still have to make a game that makes sense and has graphics that don't kill people's souls or damage thier eyes.

It's hard as a game developer, although I'd say go with XNA you wont regret it.
ink.inc
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »

game maker
if you have trouble with that then
rpg maker
if you have trouble with that

im sorry i can't help you
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:12:28 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Theophilus
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »

I've noticed that game development in it's self (if it never required any code) is still hard. You still have to make a game that makes sense and has graphics that don't kill people's souls or damage thier eyes.

duh
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic