Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:40:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)I'm a total beginner!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I'm a total beginner!  (Read 7661 times)
Bumpeh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »

To start things off, I know you guys must have dealt with this kind of thing a billion times, and I'm not entirely sure if I posted this in the right place, so sorry for that, but here goes...

I'm currently 15 years old and I'll be starting my sophomore year in high school in a few weeks. Halfway through my freshman year I became interested in programming, specifically Video Game programming. Since then I've been studying and working things out, I've been taking baby steps and I try not to let my ambitions get too... well ambitious. So I need some help and I figured best place to go is forums! So here are my questions:

1: I took a computer class in my freshman year and I plan to keep taking them all through high school, I've started to study programming languages, specifically Java. Is this a good move if I'm not completely enlightened on computers yet? Or should I try a different language that will build up to it.

2. I'm still having trouble working out how to pace myself, should I bit huge chunks of information and eat it for breakfast every day and be sure to study everyday, or should I study more lightly and go slower.

3. If this is the right path for me, what are the best ways to study languages, specifically meant for game programs, I hear people say practice and mess around with the source code, but if I'm in there and I don't know what I'm doing it won't accomplish anything.

Thnks for taking the time to read this and help an aspiring programmer.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »

http://www.superfriendshipclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15

[EDIT]
and specifically:
http://youcanmakevideogames.com/

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »

1. Java is actually a pretty good place to start off. It is object-oriented, and has fairly similar syntax to several other languages. Once you are confident in Java, it is not very hard to transition over to C# or AS3. (depending on what platforms you want to target) I'd recommend that you continue working with Java for now. There are plenty of game-related libraries and engines that run off of Java, so you won't have any shortage of tools.

2. Go as fast as you feel comfortable going. If your brain feels overloaded, then slow down a bit. If you're starting to grasp things more quickly, then speed up. Some programming concepts will come more quickly than others. And above all, keep practicing. Nothing will teach you faster than practical experience.

3. First, learn the basics of your language's syntax, and practice using its various tools. Once you can read that language pretty well, start looking at examples, and playing around with changing them. This will help you to practice reading and interpreting code, and figuring out how other people have solved problems. Its also a great way to find various tricks you might not have thought of on your own. I learned an enormous amount about general game design when I started digging into the source code for Flixel and FlashPunk.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »

For making games with Java I would suggest using lwjgl (http://lwjgl.org/). Good luck to you Sir Gentleman.
Bumpeh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »

Ok thanks guys, you've helped a lot, but now I have another question. Where is the best place on the internet I can start studying java syntax, I've looked up cheat sheets and that look sort of foreign to me and I don't think it will help much. I've been watching these video tutorials by New Boston, are video tutorials good for learning? Should I just watch them once practice a little and move on? Or should I try to master every single little detail? I'm sorry I have so many questions that I'd really like to have answered. Again thanks for your time.
Sakar
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »

thenewboston tutorials definitely helped me get started with Java, so I think those will help. Really though, the best way to learn the syntax of the language is to use it. Expand upon the tutorials, try changing things in the example code, etc. That will give you a much better understanding of the language than just reading about it will.
Bumpeh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

I'm currently 15 years old and I'll be starting my sophomore year in high school in a few weeks. Halfway through my freshman year I became interested in programming, specifically Video Game programming.

It will probably be some time before you can make video games. I recommend a two pronged approach:

1. (non-game) programming. In the 1980s, almost every teenager could do a little BASIC programming. BASIC was/is very simple to learn, and you needed to know it to operate the computers of the day. It's become less fashionable nowadays, and I hardly ever see it suggested on forums as a language to learn with. Try it and you might like it. Smiley

2. Experiment with game editors, such as those included with the Blizzard games. When it comes to writing triggers, you'll be developing programming skills, and seeing instant/playable results.

It's a big advantage to be competent at maths and physics. As you're learning these subjects at school, ask yourself "how could I compute that on a machine?"

Well, to be honest I've been able to understand java so far, so if I keep going at it and just continue to study and practice with Java I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I mean your right, I probably won't be able to do the big stuff probably for awhile. Anyway thanks for all the help guys!
diyconservatoriesuk
TIGBaby

Most people don’t act stupid – it’s the real thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »

I'm a total noob as well, I only know a little of php scripting and totally zero in java so I hope you can give a good reference.

DIY Conservatories
DREAM CONSERVATORIES ONLINE LTD was formed to introduce quality and service into the DIY sector.
Rainchild
Level 0

(define schedule (lambda (hour) 'programming))

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »

If you feel ambitious enough, you could always learn a dialect of Lisp such as Common Lisp or Scheme.

Some beginner material that I would suggest if you are interested:
Practical Common Lisp
Land of Lisp
A Common Lisp tutorial directory
Lisp Forum

~Rainchild
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »

The bit of advice I typically offer in these threads is to look up and study computer science course material(e.g. a college syllabus or textbooks) after you learn some programming language syntax, as that's probably the last major threshold to cross before the possibility of programming "anything" becomes real.

(That said, CS gives a warped view of the programming world with its emphasis on academic correctness/provability/optimality. It's entirely possible and even preferable to use "dumb" or "caveman" techniques in game programming, if it makes it easier to change the design. See John Blow's talk on this for more.)

And in the meantime there are many other skills to develop in "executing" a game design besides coding - making the content, adding "polish" elements, bringing the game to a shippable state, and promoting it are all huge endeavors that involve both named and nameless skills, and you have to have experience at all of them to know what is involved and whether it's out of scope for you. Always be starting something, and you'll be on the right track. Finishing something is even better but you can't expect to get it right until you've failed a few times with those "nameless" skills.

Bumpeh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »

So, schools starting soon and I'm taking some CS classes so that's a good start. But I've also realized something, Java isn't used for many games that are out there, most are C++, but C++ is mainly for 3D from what I know of. I'm interested in making 2D games, would it be best for me to not worry about java for now and try to take up some other language like say C#?
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »

There is no tie between C++ and 3D programs aside from good C++ code runs faster good Java/C# code. Java is used as a scripting language inside some Game engines like Unity (which is free and awesome). If you want to write your own shaders and collision detection functions C++ is the way to go. If you want to just make a game Java or C# will be enough.

Also pay very close attention during physics class. They give you the equations that govern reality. It is not too helpful for the average teenager, but if you are interested in making a game world it is priceless knowledge.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
TheShadowFog
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »

I would use Java.
Nix
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »

Java is the fashionable language of the day. A lot of people now use it. Even some universities teach Java instead of C++ now.

Java is the standard for higher level education, at least in America. This isn't really a great choice though. Python is much better for learning to program without fussing with the language.

C++ is perfectly fine for 2D, but it isnt a great language to learn with.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »

yeah, i wouldn't say that java is fashionable among indie game devs at all. it's one of those languages only a few die-hard java fans (like cas of puppy games) use. although perhaps it's becoming more fashionable now that minecraft was made in java

in any case you can make a good game in any language, but some languages will allow you to make games faster than others; since you're only 15 i'd recommend starting with an engine like game maker or unity, or if you're up for more of a challenge, flash using flashdevelop and flixel or flashpunk. when i was 15 i used qbasic to make games, which is good but not a modern language so i wouldn't recommend it except *solely* for learning and not to make an actual game

Bumpeh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »

So I've decided to go with C++ for the time being, my friend gave me a pdf tutorial and 2 links on how to use SFML and SDL, does anyone else have any tutorials or final advice?
Nix
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

When you get frustrated, set it aside and don't be afraid try again later. Work with something simpler during that time.
MadSage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »

C++ is a wise choice if you are serious about persuing a career in game development. It's been the language of choice among professional game developers for more than a decade, and you can create games for all the major platforms with C++.

Java is similar in many ways to C++, but is not as widely used.  It has gained popularity recently because it is the primary language on the Android platform.  However, you can use C++ to develop Android games, with a small amount of Java.

Similarly, Objective C has gained popularity in the last few years because it is the primary language on the iPhone/iPad platforms, but again, you can develop games on those platforms in C++ with a small amount of Objective C.

My advice - stick with C++.  I started programming 27 years ago (when I was Cool and my approach for most of that time has been to learn only what I need to know at any one time. It's pointless learning a language you know you're not going to use in the future. You don't even need to learn everything about C++. For example, you don't need to learn about casting and templates - I rarely use them.  If you're looking at some sample code which uses them, then read about them so you understand the code.  It's pointless cramming your head full of stuff you're not going to use in the near future.

PC or Mac (whichever one you have) is the obvious starting platform.  You will need a C++ compiler - Microsoft do a free one for Windows.  Learn the basics of the language by following tutorials - experiment with the tutorials.  Once you feel comfortable with the language, take a look at SDL.  It's a library you can use to draw 2D graphics, read the keyboard and mouse etc. without worrying about the complexities of the graphics hardware and other stuff.  This way you can quickly get a spaceship or something on screen, start moving it around, begin to create a simple game and have some fun with it.

At each stage, research and learn only what you need to know.  Copying other people's code is fine too, but make sure you understand what it does, and always look for alternative methods.  Good programmers will find a solution and begin coding. A great programmer will think of multiple solutions and determine which is the best.  Wink

I hope you find that useful.  Good luck!

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »

This question is common enough that I put together a somewhat... lengthy answer to it.  I promise if you read the entire thing, and yes... it will take a while, I guarantee you will no longer be a complete beginner when you get to the end.

I want to be a game developer... now what?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »

one thing that helped me when I was beginning to learn program was Challenges. I would give myself small challenges to code and then learn from there. so examples I did were

- grid based Movement
- Setting up Collision
- simple Enemy AI.

these helped a lot because each one had different stuff that I needed to figure out on my own. and they were stuff I could build on later. if you took the three examples above you could make a pac-man game. this of course worked for me, and I learn much better when I see the implementation of the code as opposed to it just written down.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic