Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:23:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDotA 2 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168
Print
Author Topic: DotA 2 Thread  (Read 312795 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3320 on: June 17, 2015, 07:08:10 AM »

I wish Lol had updates like this... Sad

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: June 17, 2015, 07:11:41 AM »

I wish Lol had updates like this... Sad
I'd settle for being able to play with people in the US, but Riot and Blizzard both seem to be dead set on staying in the stone age when it comes to region locks.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3322 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »

Lol when people on Reddit complain 24/7 about having 100 ping from the East Coast, how much do you think people will complain when they have 200+ from Europe?

"Rito plz why don't I have 8 ping connecting to the US? Koreans get 8. No wonder their esports power is so much greater. Trash company, trash workers."

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: June 18, 2015, 01:11:56 AM »

Downloading the Reborn Client and the Workshop Tools at home while I'm at work.

Anyone know if the workshop tools stuff is updated too already? I'm so giddy.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: June 18, 2015, 01:26:06 AM »

I've been told that there is a new set of tools you can launch by clicking on something called "Reborn Tools".

I don't really know anything yet. I'm probably going to download the update later tonight and check out the tools myself.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: June 18, 2015, 01:41:07 AM »

Personally I'm excited and I hope that Dota 2 customs becomes the next Big Thing. Pretty much everybody I know on Steam has Dota 2 installed so getting a game together with friends on a map you created should be a piece of cake.

Valve has IceFrog on their team, and that guy probably has more experience modding Warcraft 3 than anyone. Considering this and the fact that the SC2 Arcade has still failed to catch on, I'd say they are in the perfect position to capture the old custom mapping ecosystem and channel it through their game.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 18, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »

Btw here is the Dota 2 Modding subreddit which could offer some valuable info: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Modding/

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3327 on: June 18, 2015, 02:54:45 AM »

I look forward to playing an RTS in the DotA game.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 18, 2015, 03:33:30 AM »

Personally I'm excited and I hope that Dota 2 customs becomes the next Big Thing. Pretty much everybody I know on Steam has Dota 2 installed so getting a game together with friends on a map you created should be a piece of cake.

Valve has IceFrog on their team, and that guy probably has more experience modding Warcraft 3 than anyone. Considering this and the fact that the SC2 Arcade has still failed to catch on, I'd say they are in the perfect position to capture the old custom mapping ecosystem and channel it through their game.
From what I understood of their writeup, I really like their setup. The "Top 10 Popular" tab and being able to mark your favorite maps so you find lobbies of them easily means there will be healthy bulk of popular, alive 'classics'.

A "Launch Page" for every map + the workshop integration + the popular maps thing seems to mean the death of the endless confusing clusterfuck of minorly edited versions of a map that you had with Battle.Net.
Like Footman Frenzy? Probably will be playing the version that ends up in "Popular" tab. New version comes out / trying to join lobby? There's one definitive version on the workshop with its own launch page.

Gone are the days of "DOTA EM AP, PROS ONLY, DL = KICK!!!"

So stoked.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3329 on: June 18, 2015, 04:51:03 AM »

i suppose you didnt play sc2 arcade then?

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: June 18, 2015, 05:11:40 AM »

i suppose you didnt play sc2 arcade then?
I didn't; but from what I heard / can see about this is that Valve put in ways to give the underplayed / new maps a chance. As far as I know, that was sc2's main problem, right? Only a few maps reaching critical mass being played.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: June 18, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »

I didn't; but from what I heard / can see about this is that Valve put in ways to give the underplayed / new maps a chance. As far as I know, that was sc2's main problem, right? Only a few maps reaching critical mass being played.
I think the SC2 arcade has plenty of other problems that prevent it from getting really popular, but of course we can only speculate. For me there are at least 3 reasons why Dota 2 Customs will be a bigger deal than the Arcade is/was:

1. Valve has a greater passion for community-driven content than Blizzard, it's what they've always done and continue to do. They are simply putting more effort into this aspect of their games.
2. Dota 2 is immensely popular as a free-to-play title on Steam. There's a huge audience for this game already and this means any custom maps created with these tools will have an untapped market waiting for them with open arms.
3. The world of Dota 2 is a better fit for the custom maps that most people want to make. You've got a pretty varied cast, with many units of different races/classes, and a handful of "neutral" forces that can be used as monsters in a RPG type map.

Compared to Starcraft 2's situation:
1. Blizzard ignores the needs of the SC2 mapping community, or implements requested features much later than expected.
2. Audience for Starcraft 2 is primarily competitive players. Not many people "casually" play Starcraft due to the complex micromanagement and stressful gameplay.
3. Most RPG maps in SC2 are Terran vs. Zerg. 99% of foes are Zerglings, Hydralisks, etc. That gets old quickly.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: June 18, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/mOT8Bxw.png

I'm doing things!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: June 18, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »

Trigger warning pls

(My download restarted, grah. I'll ignore the map editor stuff and skip right into the scripts goodies, haha)
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3334 on: June 21, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »

I played a game in the wee hours of the night and I had two people on my team with 25 MMR. Well, 24 and 25. I didn't think it was actually possible to get MMR that low. I figured it must be deliberate smurfing of the account? Problem is... They also PLAYED like bad MMR. One of them was a Pudge that ended up 2-19, didn't gank at all during lane phase, and unless he was deliberately trying to hook me away to save the opponents from my terrifying damage output, couldn't land a thing...
I was playing an AM but I just couldn't carry hard enough. It was a first pick random, so I was heavily counterpicked... f*ckin' Viper.

As is coding.

Krabwerk
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: June 25, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »

Are there gaming companies on EU servers who have a team and want to play against other game developers?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:44 AM »

http://www.dota2.com/international/live/

Biggest event of the year is starting in a couple of hours, apparently. I've been off Dota for a while so I'm not entirely informed about this stuff.  Tongue I'll be sure to tune in for the high stakes matches though.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »

Tongue I'll be sure to tune in for the high stakes matches though.
Then you should watch early, since the loser's bracket first games are all best-of-1 single elimination, loser goes home games.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: August 03, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »

Production values are really great this year. Stream keeps disconnecting for me though :x

starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3339 on: August 05, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »

Wow. So many upsets this year, and it's only the first couple days. EHome 2-0'd Secret, MVP.P 2-0'd Empire, and I think everyone expected C9 to at least make top 8, though they're a bit too inconsistent to bet on higher than that, though they certainly could've taken the tourney. It's a shame Na'Vi got knocked out so fast, but it's just not been the same without Puppey.

Looks like that post-DAC roster shuffle worked out pretty well for the Chinese teams.

As is coding.

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic