Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:32:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIconic Indie Game Characters
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Iconic Indie Game Characters  (Read 12202 times)
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 11:54:05 PM »

IT BURNS!!!

I'm sure no one knows who these characters are, but they are iconic to me personally  Tongue.  This game has become one of the longest running inside jokes of mine.
Shabadage
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

TIGSource Oil Worker

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 07:21:06 AM »

How about this little badass?  I'm sure almost everyone in here has played Gunner 3 at some point.
Icedemon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 03:11:15 AM »

the guy from la mulana, and the guy from full throttle... defenitely...

A Viceroy forerunner...

Viceroy studios is a community based freeware gaming enterprise dedicated to making freeware games.

check the link:

www.freewebs.com/viceroystudios

word.

fucker
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 05:24:25 AM »

the guy from la mulana

You mean this LOSER?

Cave Story and La-Mulana are two of the shittiest games to be called platformers.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:35:45 AM by fucker » Logged
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 06:19:41 AM »

What about id software's and Apogee's early stuff? Commander Keen, Duke, Doom guy, etc.

Maybe some old Amiga PD stuff would qualify aswell? Maybe not. It's hard for an indie dev to establish iconic game characters because methods like merchandise, comics, cartoons and promo can not be pushed as agressively, if at all.

Is Tux (Linux penquin) indie? I think he made it into games.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 01:11:09 AM »

the guy from full throttle... defenitely...

That's not an indie game.  Huh?  And I don't consider Apogee and id indie either, even though I appreciate their work.
Oaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 03:17:32 AM »

<------ BlobbitRoll Eyes

Lachie Dazdarian
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 08:02:37 AM »

Well, Cedric from Bernie's Cedric and the Revolution is not really an iconic character, but he damn should be one.

I recently discovered Bernie's brilliant old-style adventure games. Cedric is such a lovable and fun characters from the first minute that one simply can't believe he is playing a freeware adventure game from 2006, and not a LucasArts classic from 1994. Cedric has the charisma of Guybrush Treepwood and Roger Wilco, if not more than both of them.

Yes, you heard that right.

You can download the game in question here: http://www.origamihero.com/games.php#3

I also wanted to mention Knytt. Nifflas is a genius.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:25 PM »

Alex from Alex Adventure quickly became pretty iconic for me.

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2007, 01:29:28 AM »

Hmm, well this is a damn tough one. Trilby certainly goes in there somewhere, and the usual favourites (Come on, Balrog? Hands down the greatest character from that game. The Boulder gag was classic!). My vote for influence though goes to;

Reimu Hakurei

The face of bullet hell! Even if I prefer Alice Margatroid myself ¬.¬

And on the other side of the spectrum I vote for Ciel;

To be honest, her swords are probably about as iconic as her. Although Arucied possibly tops her if we're talking Tsukihime, in Melty Blood she is God. Or I have worrying obessions. Or both! But lets put it this way; If there is a God, you can bet your ass he knows how to Sword-Spam.
Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »

Ben Jordan, is the closest thing we have to Larry, Indy and Gabriel Knight as the protagonist of many acclaimed advenure games.

Knytt, with a cameo on Within a Deep Forest and with a sequel on its way, he's already an iconic indie character.

How's Ben Jordan compare to Larry? And Indy and Gabriel Knight? Shocked I never understood the fuzz about the Ben Jordan games. Tried nr. 1 and closed it as fast as I opened it. Then later, I gave the Deluxe version a try, and closed it even faster. I also tried nr. 3, after much pressure from others, and it was just kinda ok, bit below average for an adventure game.

Most iconic characters... I'd go for Balrog from Cave Story, the noodle-munching Indy guy from La-Mulana, the blob from The Blob and, even though he doesn't have a face, but due to the emotional attachment, the main character from Missing. Oh, Bernard & Hank can't be missing as well.

I got a feeling I'm forgetting some, so I'll probably post more when I remember them.

Raf Vermeulen
Swabbleflange
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »

ChevyRay
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »

Iconic? Ogmo first comes to mind.

http://helixgamesinc.com/screenshots/jtwo3.PNG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: