Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411804 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 10:01:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThinking about the game 24/7...and no escape...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Thinking about the game 24/7...and no escape...  (Read 5725 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

i find that if you think about the game too much, it'll never get done. it's hard to think about a game while working on it. i'd say i think about my game for less time than i work on it. and when i do think about it, i'm thinking about what i will work on next

so i'd say, don't waste time thinking about the game, work on the game instead

SECONDED

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 03:24:33 AM »

Yeah. Having a schedule is an extremely helpful thing. I'm working according to a schedule that I've set up for myself, right now. The difference it makes, at least for me, is very obvious. Right now, I have a schedule spanning from August 4th to August 22nd, with sets of deadlines that end roughly every other day, and the day in between doesn't always mean free time; it simply means I have two days to complete the next set of tasks.

This time, unlike the last time I made a schedule, I've been merciful enough to myself to put nothing on the weekends, but if I know myself right, I will still work on weekends if I'm not preoccupied. It's mostly a precaution, so that I do have the time to visit friends, and most importantly, my girlfriend, although I tell her she's always allowed to come by, but I might be working. Some company can still be nice. I guess this stuff evens out a bit from this next week on, though, as she's starting to work during weekdays herself as of this Thursday.

Anyway, the schedule with its deadlines gives me a great overview of what needs to get done, and I believe that's the most important part; without the schedule, I often find myself spending a lot of time just thinking about what I should do next; it's a lot better to concentrate that thought process into a few hours, make a schedule, and then just have it all there, and just do every point on the list, one by one. The schedule also makes it clear when this should be done (although I see no problem in working ahead of time if I finish up beforehand and am left with nothing to do, but still want to keep pushing the project forward; I do try to pack each day of the schedule full enough to span over an entire work day, though).

Then, of course, some thinking obviously needs to be done in between working days, because you will probably need more content and stuff like that, but even this could be scheduled as 'thinking time', if one would like. I don't do this, but it doesn't strike me as a terrible idea, since it would take this off of your mind as well; you would know for sure that you'll have time to think about this tomorrow, or whatever. Inspiration on the fly is however nothing to let go to waste, but as many people have said, that could be written into a notebook or a mobile phone.

Summary:

• Scheduled work
  • Scheduled thinking time, perhaps
  • Free days in your schedule, for social life
  • Taking notes of thoughts on the fly

Note that I'm doing this work for a personal company that I've registered together with a friend who's mainly a musician, so schedules and staying serious and focused might be more important to me, since it could mean the difference between salary and no salary, and I wish to stay a developer on full time, which means I need an income (which I don't have at the moment - currently trying to find some opportunities for governmental founding for new companies). Still, these ideas apply to anyone who wants to get things done, and who wants to get them done in an organised fashion, that doesn't take up all of their existence.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:34:07 AM by Skomakar'n » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »

so i'd say, don't waste time thinking about the game, work on the game instead
If you' re excited about the game and have the time/energy, then work on it as much as you can.
If you start feeling tired or burned out then you'll have to enter another phase, but as long as you have enthusiasm then keep working on it

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Reives
Level 0

I before E except after R

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

Feature-creep tends to happen too if you keep thinking about it instead of working on it.

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:54 AM »

Mindset really is everything when it comes to making the project work long-term. Making gamedev a "lifestyle" matters in that you only have a limited number of hours in your life. (1 year is over 1% if you live to 80) They can't all be work hours.

However, I don't think there's a "one right way" either. My strategy has developed over time:

Student: Open the IDE and feel too exhausted and stressed to consider working. Finish when pushed to do so(ludum dare etc.)

Working in industry: Make something kind of neat but rarely finish; get hung up over details quickly.

Indie(early): Work all the time on one project. Make little room for regular life; perpetually convinced the project is going the right way and "my" vision is correct, while failing to scope or plan correctly, so that bad ideas drag on for far too long.

Current: Try to do at least one thing every day; don't push unless schedule is high-pressure. Play other games to remember what I like as a gamer. Juggle indie game with some other project(currently, it's pyspades, which has been a great platform for messing around with gaming in another context and keeping my vision balance). Hang out with a good crowd, the best one I can find, so that I'm not dragged into other BS. Strive not for "my" vision but a divine vision - something that overcomes my flaws and fears.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »

Feature-creep tends to happen too if you keep thinking about working on it instead of working on thinking about it.

fixed
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 03:54:30 AM »

I find I know longer have anything to talk about to friends and relatives because the only thing that ever goes on in my mind is thinking about the game. I've decided to take an hour out at the end of each day to do something new and something interesting to talk to others about. I mostly fill this with watching movies, documentaries and books on psychology. The books on psychology are really nice as I feel I'm contributing to my abilities as a game designer but also giving myself something else to think about and deeply internalize.

The distance is very important to refresh your mind, otherwise you get one tracked down a single train of thought. Inspiration comes from everywhere, so don't be afraid to look around.
hopwep
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 05:48:28 AM »

I thinked A LOT about this, my ideas are, maybe help someone here.

-I will never again think in my project with grand ideas around it.
-I wont identify myself with my creations.
-I wont punish me for anything at all: advances, interest or whatever. Thats plenty stupid.
-I get and use all the time i need with no restrictions. Thats plenty important: thinking in the time you will need or the years, etc, sucks. I like to this and im not goign to think in games like this.
-A lot of mankind genies had a lot of poor personalities and personal lifes, dont be like they.
-Dont want to be the best. Only compete with myself and try to make the better posible, but with the security that i have fun with that.
-There isnt a problem if i dont do a thing in a day, days or in months if i dont have to do it.
-All dates and predictions suck.
-Start 'secondary' project and refreshing themes or ways. I have two humor ones, and five normal ones. All are rpgs,but i also program a pygame game from 0.
-Dont let anything like secondary.
-In the seconadry idea, dont get too limited. Learn all the things: programing, writing, designig, 3d, graphics, pixel, etc... dont get you limited and too centered.
-Dont try to obses or center too more in anything.
-Dont obses you trying to get a playable think: prototype, alpha...etc.
-There isnt a problem with trying to use all your time at max rate. But just thinking dont work, if you dont do anything practic in that thinking. I do some of thinks, for example, i develop the game history or ideas when im walking, in class, in job, no problem, then i write they when i get in hous or with a pen.
-Ever, ever, have balance. If you think-developing is ok, but there are other things and other things to dot. The balance is very important with all. Do other things. Read, watch, go to the street, study, live, and then come and create. I think is plenty better hte result.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:56:47 AM by hopwep » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic