Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:13:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrixie Treasure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Trixie Treasure  (Read 57440 times)
MaloEspada
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »

i think the current one is ok. if you are going for the look in the fourth one, i'd sugest fixing arms/legs so they look better
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »

Yeah I wasn't too happy with the arms in the fourth one. Won't be using it though anyway.

Today I added crouching and crawling. Eventually you'll be able to crawl to the edge of a ledge to hang from it. Her hair had to largely disappear for the animation. It's just behind her I suppose. Smiley

I think wall-jumping as an upgrade is probably fairly likely now, probably via grippy super shoes. I've also got another couple of likely upgrades in mind, though I don't want to give too much away.

My aim is that all upgrades should naturally add to the player's movement capabilities, so moving around the environment gradually becomes more and more interesting. I don't want the typical "oh now I can break that type of block" thing, it should be more natural.

I'll also try to make it feasible story-wise that all this stuff will be lying around.

Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:11 AM »

Love the style of this game. And the animations are awesome. I'm keeping my eye on this one.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 03:46:50 AM »

This looks really good!
If you're using WASD for movement, then could have holding shift and walking make her run.

...or you can have her run by default, and hold Shift or a command key to walk; perhaps a way to compensate for lifting/carrying something perhaps?

Either way, I like the simple-but-divine art direction and the concept already. Certainly staying tuned. Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »

I'm finding the double-tap to run quite good at the moment. It feels right to actively initiate the run rather than holding a button to run all the time.

Lifting / carrying stuff is unlikely as I want to focus the game on the agility aspect of Trixie (in Treasure Treasure she could jump higher, and Troy could push heavy things / carry objects). I came up with another decent upgrade idea today that'd work well as a final upgrade, and fit with the others nicely. Having said that I'm not wholly against putting some carryable objects and stuff in later; she's not a total weakling or anything after all. But only if I feel like the game needs something adding to it.

~~~~ Picture Interlude ~~~~

That's the aforementioned Troy.

~~~~ Picture Interlude ~~~~

Thanks for the animation compliments, I'm glad they're going down well as they're obviously a major focus of the game. Currently up to 94 animation frames total, plenty more to go in.

Today I did a first pass at wall-jumping. I think the next task will be to do some sort of editable scenery, and camera movement, so I can put a bit of an obstacle course together to test the core actions out.

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

Yummy pixels galore! Definitely looking forward to this.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »

Will she need "running shoes" before she can sprint, too? OMG, her treasures are gonna be shoes, aren't they?! Cheesy

Glad to hear the coding's not giving you too much trouble. I'm right at the dreadable start of recoding movement on one of my platformers. Plenty of collision/ability checks all over the place, bleah. And trying to run along curves, ala 2D Sonic (though not as generous, and I'll probably skip the loop-de-loops... fun stuff alright. (Will be once it's done, though!)

Sexy specs ftw! I'd like to check out this "Treasure Treasure," too. Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »

Haha, well she likes shoes but isn't obsessed with them or anything. Shoes just seemed a feasible item that would let you wall jump. The other upgrades will be different bits of equipment.

The movement and collision and stuff has been fairly simple so far. I've not actually tested the slopes yet so I've got no idea if they'll work. The player movement is split up into tons of individual states (idle, walk, run, jump, inAir, crouch, crawl, hitWallInAir etc) so I have a lot of fine control over how each one behaves and how they link together. I probably wouldn't do it like that for a more arcadey game, which needs more flexibility and has way more overlap between states, but it should work well for this kind of explorey thing.

This is Treasure Treasure if you're interested: PC | Xbox 360

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »

I'm finding the double-tap to run quite good at the moment. It feels right to actively initiate the run rather than holding a button to run all the time.

Can I ask how it works?
And does it keep the speed even if you jump/climb ledges?

One of the reasons why I don't like double tapping it's that it usually does not keep the momentum if you jump/do some other acrobatic stuff, making it feel sort of disconnected experience.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »

So, double-tap and holding the direction initiates a run. It's also possible to double-tap + hold whilst doing something else, for example whilst falling through the air, and she'll start running once she lands.

Jumping, falling off ledges, wall-jumping, and quick-turns (skidding to run in the opposite direction) all maintain the momentum. Also rolling or sliding will maintain it if I add those.

Hanging onto and climbing up a ledge currently doesn't maintain it, as it brings you to a total stop. It might be nice to do something like, she can grab the ledge and somersault over it, if she's moving quickly and jumps up towards it. Carry the upwards and forwards momentum through. I don't think it'd feel right to fall downwards onto a ledge hang and spring easily up onto the ledge, though.

I mentioned the fuzzy double-tap controls. The jump is also a bit fuzzy in that you can press it before you land to immediately jump, and stuff like that. Same for the wall jump.

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »

That does sound fluid, especially if you add that ledge thing, you could even make puzzles/tight platforming bits for it. I agree on that you shouldn't be able to carry the momentum from falling and grabing a ledge.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

A very rough first pass, just to post some progress for the evening.

namragog
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »

I like where this is going.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »

I like where this is going.

Likewise. There's a lot of fun, nifty stuff you can do with that. Also:

"duh-duh-duh-DAH-duhhh"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »

*__*

HannesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 04:14:25 AM »

I can't remember seeing this kind of jumping corner case in a game before. The animation's great and it'll look very pretty if implemented right.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:35 AM »

"duh-duh-duh-DAH-duhhh"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pretty good! I saw a girl in a theme park once who looked like Trixie. And here she is in Rock Band 3, just for fun.

I can't remember seeing this kind of jumping corner case in a game before. The animation's great and it'll look very pretty if implemented right.

Coolio, maybe I'm innovating in a 2D platformer then. That's quite exciting. Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 06:14:59 AM »

Here's a video of the current state of the wall jump and ledge flip.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »

Okay, the animation's awesome. Seriously, that's very fluid. I think that she should roll when falling from very far, but maybe you're going to add that. Great platforming!!!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2011, 07:23:51 AM »

Wonderful! I put a simple 'Wow.' as a comment to the video.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic