Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:13:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHipsters and indies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Hipsters and indies  (Read 24866 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »

yeah i agree with that -- liking a small part of culture and saying that a larger part of culture is bad is still liking culture. just like saying you like apple but hate microsoft and walmart isn't anti-corporate

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »

Sinclair, you have filled my brain with hipster knowledge.

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »

To me, these labels can be superfluous, especially if you're trying to "compare" the two terms. "Independent," in the videogame sense, usually means something like "independently funded" (not backed by a major publisher, thereby more free to develop their game as they wish). It isn't a specific genre, but rather calls out the type of creative process or development that can go into it, which can in turn lead to a unique outcome. This can make the term "indie" valuable if it is used appropriately.

I hear "Hipster" thrown around all over the place (people refer to my town as the local "hipster capitol"), but it always means something different. The only somewhat-unifying case that I see it used in is in fashion, but who cares enough to talk about fashion. People outside of the status quo are called "hipsters", and that's the most concrete thing I've really seen.

So I'd say just go through life without worrying about what to label things  Smiley

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

"I'm a hipster and I play Earthbound"

Other guy says, "You know, that game has a cult following now, you are not the only one who likes it"

"What do you mean I hate Earthbound what's a Earthbound"
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »

As far as I understand, the "hipster" type of person is usually into "cute" stuff like manga, weird pop bands and old video games, and I think that's the reason why indie game development and hipsterism seems to go hand in hand right now. But I'm sure there are just as many fat, longhaired metalheads as there are hipsters in the indie game scene, but we don't see them quite as often.
Yeah, at least to me there seems to be some connections with hipsterism and indie(games). I remember at least Phubans talking about being almost becoming indie-hipsters or something.

So I'd say just go through life without worrying about what to label thing
Pretty much my attitude, but encountering this hipster thing everyplace, and rather often here in TIGS got me thinking how it was connected to indieness.

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »

So I'd say just go through life without worrying about what to label thing
Pretty much my attitude, but encountering this hipster thing everyplace, and rather often here in TIGS got me thinking how it was connected to indieness.

It's kind of weird, the only reference to a "hipster" I've seen are people who probably don't play games at all. Generally describing "indie music fans that dress funny". I guess that goes to show the uselessness of the term Tongue

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
Dragonmaw
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 12:06:21 AM »

Hipster is sort of devalued as a term. Partially because it especially seems to be applied to weirdo urban youngsters.

IDK, I've met a lot of people that are regularly called hipsters, and I can't definitively say that ANY of them are hipsters, with the potential exception of my ex-girlfriend. That's only if you include the whole "i liked this before you, therefore i am superior and you are a poseur" behavior though.

It seems to be especially prominent on the west coast. Applied to young, urban, extremely liberal, socially conscious young adults.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 01:58:08 AM »

icycalm is the only hipster

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 07:45:18 AM »

WELL. Ive never seen a hipster. Who has seen a hipster here? Has anyone ever seen a hipster?

Okay well. Sorry, Im not sure I want to... "rock the boat" here, but. Oh whatever I will just come out and say it.

I think hipsters are fictitious. Its not that they're just a little undefined or abstract concept that no one really agrees on. No, they are a complete invention of our imagination. Ive been to a hip club that played obscure music recently... it was empty. No one was there. There were cobwebs on the seats. They are a collective hallucination. Ive looked for the nearest Hollister branch on google maps, and Ive been there to see some hipsters... it was an empty, closed down, boarded up barber shop. I asked an old lady there, wasnt there a Hollister here? She cackled and called me a fool...
They represent our own minds conspiring against rationality. They're like Santa Claus,the boogeyman,unicorns and ogres. Its just a modern day urban tradition to believe in them. Deep down, we all know the real deal. We know its just something we use to keep the kids in line, or even to scare ourselves. We got to break the shackles and rise up against the idea.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:06:50 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »

icycalm is the only hipster

"there was only one christian, and he died on the cross" - nietzsche
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:28:13 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

I'm a hipster without a trust fund. Giggle
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »

hipster is a term which doesn't mean anything anymore. it either means poser, or guy who reads poetry, or thich rimmed glasses and scarves, or someone who does everything ironically, or people who dress perfectly normally and play old video games, or people who are fashionable and spend a lot on clothes, or BLUH WHATEVER

the point is, hipster now basically means "someone who does things you dont like"

Lo
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »

Next person to post is a hipster
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »

Last person who posted is a hipster.

PARADOX.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »

not a paradox, you are just both hipsters
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »

Peanutbuttershoes wears shoes made of peanut butter to be "ironic."
Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »

I've been called a hipster and I've been asked if I am a hipster.

My honest response is just that I like to look for new things and I like the avant garde because I like to be surprised. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy something my friends like just that I actively search for things I haven't experienced before.

You may think whatever you want about that but I just wanted to share.

Small note:
In Stockholm every other person is a hipster according to media but from I've experienced Swedish "hipsterdom" and the American counterpart don't always match.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »

if you are an ex marketing/advertisement student who decided to change carreer to stick it to the man, or if you post on Tigsource...you know what you are...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »

URA PANMDA  Panda
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic