Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:07:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHipsters and indies
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Author Topic: Hipsters and indies  (Read 24882 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »

Okay, how I define a hipster is by somebody that's ONLY into something because it's popular, and makes for instantly recognizable icebreaker material with people. Generally, they're the teens who smoke cigarettes for no other reason than the fact that it gives them the opening to ask for a smoke or light as an excuse to make small talk; or people who only "like" anime/cosplay because everybody-and-their-mother now does. They're also usually notorious for copypasting memes.

Liking something before it explodes into popularity is just having taste. And the reason why overpopularity is annoying isn't because of these hipster people. It's because when they do jump face-first in blind faith into a product or brand, from there on out it starts a supply/demand domino effect that leads stuff like Dragon Ball to become stuff like Dragon Ball GT (or DBGT: Final Bout), or stuff like Super SF2 Turbo to become stuff like SF: The Movie: The Game. Or "Angry Birds: The Movie/Cartoon," because that's clearly gonna happen now. Just wait.

Hipsters aren't inherently annoying (usually - although they are making the whole straight/bi/gay thing really confusing now where dating is concerned). They're just the tipping point of something awesome becoming something "accessible" and in actuality, totally bland and overmarketed that contains none of the cool nuances of it's original incarnations.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »

That's probably the most sensible thing I've seen in this whole thread.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 27, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »

This webcomic makes no sense. Only the guy in the flannel shirt and Kyp From TV On The Radio(tm&r) are hipsters. Hipsters aren't "impossible to define." They exist.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: September 27, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »

It's curious how you're discussing about how hipsters are now old and mainstream...
while down here I'm just starting to see the first ones appearing  Epileptic
And this is bad because my always-nerdy way of dressing will soon be hip.

It's like being in an ironic time-machine.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: September 30, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »

Actually the 'nerdy' way to dress has been a 'hipster' staple for over a decade.

@CA Sinclar, while I generally agree with you, I think this comic is more about perception then anything, I've seen people refer to someone similar to everyone on that list as a hipster(excluding businessman, and boring dude).

@baconman, your interpretation of hipster is unique.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »

BTW: What's happening with "hipsters" now is the same thing that happens to every subculture that gets exposed to the mainstream. It attracts bandwagon jumpers and posers, which in turn creates a backlash.

That said, what irks me about stereotypical "hipster" culture is its air of never taking anything seriously and feigning interest in things without ever going below the surface level. Everything, from what music you listen to your political views, becomes a kind of "fashion chic." Hipsters don't stand for anything, their culture is purely self-referential.
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 30, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »

This webcomic makes no sense. Only the guy in the flannel shirt and Kyp From TV On The Radio(tm&r) are hipsters. Hipsters aren't "impossible to define." They exist.

wait, you don't see the fixed gear bike guy and the twirly mustachioed / bow-tie guy as hipsters? It does seem impossible to define in any way that is meaningful to more than very small groups of people at a time.

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »

the guy with the bike is an athlete or a skater or a gangster (he also has tattoos and a baseball cap), not a hipster (hipsters don't ride bikes)

the bow tie guy is either amish or a member of the tea party, or from 1890, none of which can be hipsters

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »

Nah, fixed gear enthusiast with self referential 'cool' tattoos, hipster.
Anachronistically clothed dude who makes his own alcohol (Amish don't drink, or use buttons) with bizarre facial hair, hipster.

Not that it matters, it's mostly a label that people use for other people, or themselves, ironically.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

the guy with the bike is an athlete or a skater or a gangster (he also has tattoos and a baseball cap), not a hipster (hipsters don't ride bikes)

the bow tie guy is either amish or a member of the tea party, or from 1890, none of which can be hipsters

Then it's regional, because in San Francisco both these guys fit in and have massive hipster cred.

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »

what i wrote is overruled by that consideration, because in california everyone is a hipster. this is known as the california exception. even if you're an old granny who watches the home and garden network, if you're californian, you're a hipster

ink.inc
« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »

oh
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »

Guys, I would lke some explanations about the guy that looks like a unicorn

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Theophilus
« Reply #294 on: September 30, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »

Wrong-o.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: September 30, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »

I've seen people refer to someone similar to everyone on that list as a hipster(excluding businessman, and boring dude).

Wait. You've seen a dude that looks like an unicorn?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

Depends on your definition of unicorn

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »

it's obviously a fursuit

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »

It's a furrycorn

coolchic613
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 06, 2016, 05:43:14 PM »

My impression is that a lot of hipsters are actually nerds who try to be "cool" while still retaining their nerdy interests.
I think this at least partially hits the nail on the head. Rather many "hipster qualities" can be applied to specific nerds too.

Then again, definition of hipsters seem rather elusive. For example:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster
http://www.cracked.com/funny-4573-hipster/

First one gives rather positive picture of "hipsterism" while Cracked's definition adds in the negative aspects like feeling superior to others.

Nice. Thanks for this.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic