Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:11:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhantom Island
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Phantom Island  (Read 19294 times)
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »

I'm waiting this game.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »

YEAH, ME TOO. THIS GAME IS HOT. I WOULD PLAY HER.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »

Well. It's been a while.

So, I quit my job last year to work on this full time, because it needed a thorough beating with the rewrite hammer. This was due to it becoming ludicrously overcomplicated from a programming standpoint (seriously, the way I was doing my enemy behaviour was stupidly over-engineered and, frankly, poop), and the scope of the game was drifting somewhat and there was a lot of pie-in-the-sky stuff in there.

Weirdly, since going back to basics, I've actually managed to include more features than I ever thought possible in the first place (and I've got most of 'em working already). This is going to be a game for people who like to solve puzzles of ALL kinds, while playing through a (hopefully) funny narrative and smashing a load of enemies in the chops with scads of different weapons. I suspect that might make its appeal somewhat niche (as you have to like platformers, puzzles which require figuring out clues and/or logic, and stupid jokes), but it's the game I've always wanted to make.

Oh, and while graphically it looks like crap at the moment - because it's all my own temp art - don't worry, Ptoing's still on board and he's gonna make it look super nice. Also, BMcC's joined the crew and is gonna make it sound super nice.

So, just to prove I've actually done some stuff - here's a short video of me messing around in a test room.

Obviously, there is still a TON to do, but there's also a CRAP-TON of stuff which I'm not showing in the video because I need stuff to talk about in subsequent posts on the devlog, which I hearby vow to update weekly/weakly. Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2018, 08:02:50 AM »

Stop being productive and give us another pig ignorant episode.

On a more serious note, given that you've binned off full-time work to do this have you set yourself a deadline or milestones to at least try and keep things in check?
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »

We are proper behind on Pig Ignorant, it's true. :|

I wanna do a KickStarter late this year, but obviously I need to actually build up a following for the game first, and truthfully I don't think most people are gonna pay much attention to it until it looks a bunch nicer (no matter what original features it contains).

And I have a TO DO list rather than a schedule at the moment as there's a LOT of iteration needed to make it feel nice (I'm still tinkering with the controls a whole bunch) as well as a few key systems which remain to be built. Once those core elements are nailed down (which again, requires a certain amount of polish to really do with any certainty) I'll be able to quantify everything that remains to be done in the game (basically building the world).

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
peterhull90
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2018, 03:16:30 AM »

Signed up just to say:
I'm waiting this game
Good luck!
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »

Ha, cheers! I'll deffo nag you to do the Mac port. Wink

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2018, 01:55:09 AM »

If there's one thing I love in games, it's secrets. Lovely, lovely secrets. And because I'm building a mysterious island which is jam-packed with the sods, I needed a nice way of hiding and revealing said secrets.

The way I do this is through a combination of camera bounds and a fog-of-war system which allows to me to hide hidden areas either in the darkness, or behind bits of foreground.

Camera bounds fall into two types - they're either single, in which case when you enter them the camera is constrained inside of them, or they're compound, in which case when you enter a new camera bound it's added to the room's overall camera bound, effectively expanding the room.

For the fog of war, I basically build patches of tiles to obscure each secret area I want, and when you enter the area, those patches disappear, revealing what's behind them (and altering the camera bound in the process). They also allow for multiple secret areas to abut one-another and be revealed in an arbitrary order - which might sound like a simple thing, but actually gave me a few headaches figuring it out, due to the way that when an area is revealed, it also adds tiles to obscure any unrevealed neighbour areas (so they don't just have hard edges to them).

Anyhoo, here's a pair of video showing it all in action, with each one revealing the rooms in a different order.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic