Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:59:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSurvival - In production
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Survival - In production  (Read 22661 times)
Jrsquee
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »

Interesting suggestion skrew. Who know into which direciton my game will go. I might surprise you. Grin

Also, my inspiration was that guy named Bear Greaven or something like that, who eats decapitated crickets and squeezes elephant feces in order to drink the water that comes out.

You totally need to do all of that in game!

Also:  please make a Mac version please.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »

Yey, sounds good Smiley

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 11:52:28 AM »

Interesting suggestion skrew. Who know into which direciton my game will go. I might surprise you. Grin

Also, my inspiration was that guy named Bear Greaven or something like that, who eats decapitated crickets and squeezes elephant feces in order to drink the water that comes out.

You totally need to do all of that in game!

Also:  please make a Mac version please.

Right now I'll probably be doing it in GM. I was trying to learn a proper language, FreeBASIC, but it was undergoing many big changes due to the developers adding object oriented programming into it and the documentation simply didn't work anymore, so it was too frustrating. I thought of having Terry help me learn C++ and make it with that, but according to him I'd need at least a few weeks of learning with that monstrous language until I could do anything game-related in it, and I'll be damned if I'm that patient.

So I guess there won't be a Mac version for now, unless I find myself learning a cross-platform language quickly enough that I can just transfer all the work done in GM into it without much trouble. Maybe Python...

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »

Animals can be trapped for anything you may think of using them for.

Anything.

Just be sure not to get your face clawed off in the process.
A raft made out of raccoons?

If you say yes, words will not be able to describe my delight.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

Melly, you wanna help me design RLML (see the roguelike ideas thread) and see if that's useable at all?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »

Is RLML cross platform, cause I'm interested in that.

Also, with guidance by the awesome Terry I have begun learning C++ and Allegro, at least enough of it to make this in it.

But anything is possible.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 06:49:10 AM »

This is one of the few roguelikes I might actually play. I love those survival-style books like Hatchet or Into the Wild, so this should be fun. I like the idea of a raft made out of raccoons. It reminds me of Dwarf Fortress telling me "The drunk grabs your left elbow". Not actually impossible, just really really daft.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »

Newsflash, I'll be making this in C++ with Allegro. Terry da man is helping me, cause the language is a muthafucking beast.

increpare
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »

Newsflash, I'll be making this in C++ with Allegro. Terry da man is helping me, cause the language is a muthafucking beast.

wheeeeeeeeeeee Smiley  Best of luck you guys!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »

Isn't Terry helping everyone with like everything?

Cool, and good luck guys!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »

Terry is everywhere, doing everything.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 04:03:58 PM »

Terry is everywhere, doing everything.
And everyONE, I like to believe.  Wink
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »

Awesome. Say more things like this :D

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 04:21:54 PM »

I plan on staying here a bit longer, so I guess I will do that soon enough!  Cool
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »

O_o

Great idea Melly Beer!

On the issue of the setting/environment I think it would be cool to choose where your flight is going and then randomize what sort of environment the plane will crash in. That would also give it a crapload more variety and replayability.

It would be cool to see little survival tricks added into the game as well. For example if you don't place your food up high in a tree you will attract bears to your campsite.

Also, cannibalism, making improvised weapons out of available materials and tracking/hunting for fur and food would all be great additions as well.

It would also be kind of fun to ahve some sort of delirious/insanity meter that would gauge your character's mental health. You always here stories about people losing their marbles when out in the wilderness without human contact for awhile. Delirium could set in due to witnessing traumatic events, be constantly bombarded by the elements or having to commit unspeakable things yourself. When delirious it would screw with your ability to assess your needs and also the ability to keep yourself out of danger due to hallucinations and such.

Anyways, best of luck to you, I'll be watching this one Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »

Oh, a character stat you could add could be "perception" which would affect how well he/she notices things like animal tracks and hidden caves and stuff, and the better perception they have the more detail they'll get, like what kind of animal left the tracks and how long ago, and whether places are safe to sleep or eat or not. A very rare item you could find in the crash could be a survival guide or nature book, helping you instantly become proficient in a single area, like making traps, or identifying plants. I like the idea of choosing your flight destination and having the locale based on that. Just don't crash in the middle of the ocean  Tongue

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »

This is all that I have working properly so far, the barebones of a console simulator in Allegro. I'll be limiting myself to 16 colors, HOWEVER I decided to change the pallete, because the original is UGLY AS SIN. It's got shocking pink goddamnit.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »

Just a little post to let people know this is still going, albeit a bit clumsily. I was thinking about the different goals you may have in the game and the different ways you could call for help or get anyone to notice you.

You're on a very isolated wilderness, but that doesn't mean there isn't any semblance of civilization. It's just very little of it and very far inbetween. Finding any other human being capable (and willing) to take you out of the wilderness would end the game with a victory.

Bits of civilization could include:
Lonely huts in the woods, most often abandoned but sometimes populated, though you have no idea if it's a nice family with a working phone or a crazy deformed old man that wears the skin of human hikers;
Roads, either dirt or asphalt, and that influences the rate with which vehicles travel in it and the type of vehicles. Finding a nice traveler going to the city is good, but finding a bunch of hillbillies with very odd ideas of how to treat hitchhikers isn't;
Hunters, usually of the nice kind, can also help you. Just be sure that they don't confuse you for a dear;
Forestal guards are pretty self-explanatory, but they'll probably be the rarest type of human you'll ever find.

I'll post more ideas later, give me your own too.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »

I like the idea of a Deliverance sort of scenario with evil hilbillies. Of course you  can make short work of them with your trusty bone knife  Evil

Keep up the good work, Melly!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

Time to spam the thread some more! Just so you guys know I'm still working on it.

That's being rendered by the game's engine. The '@' is movable with the cursor and numpad keys and can't walk over trees. The meters on the LEFT aren't working yet, they're arbitrarily drawn there, cause I procrastinate a lot.

Using Clubs as trees is all the rage man.

Now, onto some simple random map generation and implementing the turn-based structure!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:32:40 PM by Melly » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic