Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411282 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:39:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSurvival - In production
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Survival - In production  (Read 22663 times)
increpare
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »

The meters on the right aren't working yet
What, stage-right?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »

I love survival games.

That said, I haven't read the entire thread, but have you by any chance heard of a game called Wilderness before? See http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/wilderness-a-survival-adventure. If you don't know it, you should really play it. It's up on Underdogs if you need to know. Anyway, it's an extremely detailed simulation, and once you get over the weird crippled IF parser interface, it's actually pretty fun to play. Steep learning curve though. But I though you might find it interesting as inspiration.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »

The meters on the right aren't working yet
What, stage-right?
Left, I apologize.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Jrsquee
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »

Time to spam the thread some more! Just so you guys know I'm still working on it.

That's being rendered by the game's engine. The '@' is movable with the cursor and numpad keys and can't walk over trees. The meters on the LEFT aren't working yet, they're arbitrarily drawn there, cause I procrastinate a lot.

Using Clubs as trees is all the rage man.

Now, onto some simple random map generation and implementing the turn-based structure!

Looks hot.  I'm really looking forward to this! I'd really like an OS X version...

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »

It's being coded in C++/Allegro. Should be easily buildable for Windows, Mac and Linux. Grin

I'm even keeping from using a Windows-only Allegro extension to use text and fonts, and instead I'm using bitmap fonts. It's a lot more work, but I feel it's worth it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:47:11 PM by Melly » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:49 AM »

Why are thirst and hunger in red while the others are in green? Is it because they're more, like, immediate and fluctuating?

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »

More inspiration! I think exposure should be as central as hunger and getting mauled. Getting wet and/or cold are really easy ways to die. Also the possibility of disease should be explored; dysentery from seemingly fresh water, and infection from small cuts can be deadly. Poison ivy et al. Eating the wrong plants and mushrooms. Methods of signaling: mirrors, radios, flares, stones in a field spelling HELP.

Making fire through lens, match, friction, flint and steel, wildfire.. Fishing with spears, with nets, with baskets... Making same...

The possibilities for this game are exciting to me.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »

yeah, I intend to explore all those possibilities, or as many as I'm able. I never read Hatchet, and I'm not sure I'd be able to right now. But thanks for the tip.

The green meters are the ones that the more you have of the better you are, and the red ones are the more you have of the worse you are. I couldn't find a word that represents the opposire of hunger and thirst, separately.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:01:13 PM by Melly » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 02:08:52 PM »

So, could use some help. I'm trying to find a good map generation algorythim, especially for wilderness/forest areas. If anyone could help me with that a bit that'd be awesome.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »

Might be a useful thread

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »

The possibilities for this game are exciting to me.

Yes! I love how much can be done with this concept. It just seems like this concept fits perfectly into the rogue genre, I am surprised that someone hadn't already thought of it. There is just some much room for improvisation in a game like this.

Keep up the great work Melly Beer!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:44 PM »

Decided to play around a bit and write my own simple map generation code:

As you can see it's only got some basic rules to it, no smoothing or anything, but I'm kinda proud. Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »

As you can see it's only got some basic rules to it, no smoothing or anything, but I'm kinda proud. Smiley

As would I  Grin

I can't wait until I start actually coding in C++ and come out with something tangible. Watching the development of your game has really inspired me to start thinking about different concepts for rogue-likes (and this thread is a great wealth of awesomeness as well). There are so many great ideas being thrown around here. Now that I think of it a Non-Traditional RL compo would absolutely kick ass! Anyways, this is definitely on my most watched list for sure.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »

Hatchet is a good book and great source of inspiration if you find the time to read it.
I agree with fartron about exposure/body warmth being a key issue. I'd add that to your meters at some point if I were you. It would be great to have to stock up on pelts in summertime or else get slaughtered during the winter.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »

The meters will only be functional once I get more gameplay going on, and that might take a while.

Once they are however I'll be sure to add temperature as a key factor.

Other ideas:

Scent. You have a scent that may attract some animals, especially if you're bleeding or something like that (though I'll have to do more research on that). The wind affects how your scent travels from you (scent trails will be computed for all animals and you, as well as food and excrement. You might not want to do your natural business in a position in which the wind can carry the odors to your camp. Tongue

Also, you do have to manually defecate and urinate. Or you can hold it in until you can't anymore. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:24:08 PM by Melly » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 03:17:03 AM »

I want to get the most badass hunting knife in the game, and then smear myself with shit to attract tons of bears to kill  Evil

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 07:31:18 AM »

I can't wait to see the bladder and bowels meters. Or the console feedback. "You seem to be constipated." "You feel a burning sensation..."

Seth
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »

make it so if you don't have a high plant recognition skill level you might use poison ivy to wipe
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »

I love the concept, im really eager to play it! I was actually thinking of a simular idea but in a more x-com / civ style. So keep up the great work!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

So guys, I posted on the unusual RL's thread about the other idea I just had about a Cube-based RL. I'm actually thinking of pursuing that one first and then this one, as I feel it would be simpler to make overall, with a simple type of random world generation and less items and stuff to interact with. I'm still thinking though. I feel that both ideas are awesome enough to pursue. Grin For more information go to the non-standard RL thread.

EDIT: New pics of the improved map generator. Still simple though.

The problem is that the way the map is 'built' it tends to create diagonals from the top left to the bottom right.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:10:54 PM by Melly » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic