Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:33:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSurvival - In production
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Survival - In production  (Read 22713 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

Well I would prefer Survival over Cube but I've never seen Cube. I guess if you have experience from Cube you could make Survival even better in the end though.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »

I'm still deciding, working on the engine for Survival in the meantime. However I'd really want to make a Cube roguelike that captured some of the crazyness of the movies (especially the first).

New pic, randomized trees:

One of the things I'm worried about is making sure that randomly generated maps really make each playthrough different from the earlier ones, instead of just mildly different. I have to do much more than just randomly sprinkle the landscape with stuff, as people would still find and do the same things, just in a different order and speed. Part of that will be the randomization of the items you find in the plane wreckage, for example (only a very few from a large pool).

Also need to improve the color choice for the elements in that picture. They're blending a bit too much for my tastes.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2008, 06:53:44 AM »

A cubeRL could be good, but I hope that you come back to this project again if you decide to set it down.

I've been trying small experiments with terrain generation lately, though I haven't gotten very far so take my advice with a grain of salt.

That thread I linked earlier contained a quote I got from The Making of DF about world generation. Although creating something the scale of the DF world is unnecessary for this project, there's still some relevant ideas.

Creating an overhead map, whether you ever displayed it to the player or not, could help with distinguishing the terrain. Each cell of the map could translate to an X by X region in the game, inheriting all kinds of information to make it a specific and unique region. Starting with a heightmap doesn't mean that you have to display a z-axis, but it might help determine where the treeline is, where the swamps, rivers and lakes are, the temperature, etc.

Once a region is well defined, you can fill it up with the appropriate plant and animal life, at the appropriate density, with some perlin noise or whatever.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

I know nothing has been posted in awhile but I am really curious to how the project is coming along. Sorry, I am pent up with anticipation (and am a sucker for new RL concepts).

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:34 AM »

Ouch, sorry skaldic, this is kind-of on hold for now. Working on it was a pain in the ass at one point and I'm currently working on a Commonplace Book game.

I do plan on continuing it, even if just to finish the console engine. Alongside another fairly big game idea I have. Not sure when either will be done, if ever.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic