Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:18:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignRock, paper, scissors as an RTS with a twist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rock, paper, scissors as an RTS with a twist  (Read 3636 times)
HannesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »

Imagine a real-time strategy game where there are three kinds of resources: tree, iron and stone, used to create paper units, scissors units and stone units respectively. They are significantly advantageous to each other following the usual RPS pattern.

The twist: the resources aren't evenly occurring. Say, there's 3x stone, 2x iron and x tree.

This should have a certain impact on the game, and I'm curious to know in what way, and that's what I want to discuss. It doesn't seem obvious to me how it'd turn out, despite me being a maths kind of person. Some key questions:

• Will it affect the distribution of units? If so, how will it be related to the occurrences of the resources?
  • Will there be significantly different tactics, or will all games evolve similarly?
  • What will be most important in order to win?
  • How will gameplay differ from a game with even resource occurrence?
  • What would happen if the most occurring resource won against the least occurring instead? (e.g. 3x stone and x metal)
I'm eager to hear your thoughts. Smiley
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/rock-paper-scissors-in-strategy-games.html

rps with unequal payoff

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »

There's an anime that explores unbalanced RPS, though it was even more complicated. But I can't remember its name nor have a coherent thought about the subject, so a what great contribution I brought into this discussion. Roll Eyes
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:15 AM »

hunter x hunter is riddle with this (naruto have some passage about it too)

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »

Here we go.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »

Add some business/frontier elements with influence from some 4X titles & you got a hook.

Making them companies would be sweet (Paper company, Scissor manufacture, Mining facility)
where you choose one & operate, competing with the others would be cool.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »

There's an anime that explores unbalanced RPS, though it was even more complicated. But I can't remember its name nor have a coherent thought about the subject, so a what great contribution I brought into this discussion. Roll Eyes

The game itself was balanced. Everyone had the same number of rocks, papers, and scissors, and I'm pretty sure they all had 3 of each. The fixed number of each card added a predator/prey, target the weak sort of thing. The lack of rules combined with the naivety of the protagonist for the sake of plot progression made it seem more complex than it really is.

throughly entertaining show tho
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »

The game itself was balanced. Everyone had the same number of rocks, papers, and scissors, and I'm pretty sure they all had 3 of each.

Ah yes, you are correct.
Zetsaika
Level 0

Hello there.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

Initialy we can see the luck as a major point in the game. If the possibility to scout is added, them the game will turn out as a "Counter-Counter-Counter" game, where you just need to know what your oponent is doing to counter it.

At this point we cannot forget that macro and micro management counts towards winning and with that the RPS will loose its spotlight, unless it would be so vital to the game that player skill cannot make Paper have a victory over Scissors.

It's kinda hard to imagine it without further info.

I don't know if its clear, but i can resume with one question.

Will the game focus on the RPS or on the RTS?
gmx0
Level 0

The Messenger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »

Probably has no bearing on the topic at hand but relates to Rock-Paper-Scissors

How To Win In Rock Paper Scissors Every Time

Its not at all equal!

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »

This thread reminds me of this battle-dice game I concieved one time.

You have 3 kinds of dice, 20-siders (Captains), 12-siders (Generals), and standard 6-siders (Grunts). Each came prefabricated with one "star" side (Captains had two), and had 3 HP, 2 HP, and 1 HP respectively. The remaining faces could be customized with swords, shields, and shots however the player saw fit. In truth, they could cover their "star" space with one as well, but that's not tactically recommended.

Each side rolls their army. Any Star rolls go first - they're totally invincible for the turn, and can one-hit kill any other die on the field. After that, whoever had the fewest remaining dice would go first, attacking the other side:

Shields > Shots > Swords > Shields (ala RPS)

...and then the other side could retaliate with whatever dice they had remaining. Caps and Gens had to be taken out within the turn however, or their HP was auto-recovered. To keep things fair, the players began with basically the same +/- 1 HP amount of dice on their sides. It tips a little by the luck of rolling stars, but a good RPS strategy could make at least one of your dice nearly unstoppable to some certain forces!

For instance, you could have one grunt with 1 star, 1 shield, and 4 shots. Stars aside, strategic imbalance COULD triumph over pure luck! Wink

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »

While I've always thought the idea of 'weighting' RPS games is interesting, I think in an RTS or general strategy context it'll be hard to do so without one side becoming little more than a force-of-numbers unit-spam - in this case, stone, because it's the most abundant. Could an extra layer (which could potentially remove this problem) be added whereby certain tools from certain types are needed to extract the resources, but always a different resource to the kind of tool? So you need to balance both the units you are creating from each of the three, but also the resources you are keeping back to acquire different resources in the future, say:

You need iron to chop down trees; wood to build struts in mines to extract stone; and stone to heat to smelt iron. That's just a one-second suggestion (and doesn't TOTALLY make sense), but something along those lines.

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »

Quote from: Ultima Ratio Regum
You need iron to chop down trees; wood to build struts in mines to extract stone; and stone to heat to smelt iron. That's just a one-second suggestion (and doesn't TOTALLY make sense), but something along those lines.

That's fascinating.

- You need to have iron BEFORE you can make axes and saws with which to chop down trees,

- You need wood BEFORE you can make mineshafts and minecarts with which to extract stones and ores.

- You need stones and ores BEFORE you can build the stone furnaces with which to smelt the iron ore into iron metal.

It's like the chicken and the egg!
This reminds me that in Age of Empires 3 you had to rely on treasures and shipments from hometown to get resource gathering going. And in Dwarf Fortress it would be practically impossible to survive if you didn't have the starting supplies.

Perhaps players could select how much of which resource to start with.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic