Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:55:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity C# and Shader Text Tutorials
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Unity C# and Shader Text Tutorials  (Read 79797 times)
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »

My fourth Unity C# tutorial is online: Star, an introduction to custom editors.

This tutorial shows you how to create your own custom editor. You will make a star component that uses a dynamically generated mesh. Then you will build a nice inspector for it, add WYSIWYG editing, and allow editing right in the scene view, while supporting undo, redo, reset, prefabs, and multi-object editing.

Have fun!

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »

I've been waiting for this, thank you!

ambethia
Level 0

Hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »

Thanks, Jasper!

I went through the clock and runner tutorials already. I really like how you setup the sidebar questions, letting people just blow right past the things they already understand. Any chance you're going to update the graph tutorial to use the new particle systems?
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Smiley Yea I thought those sidebars were a good idea.

I haven't tried out the new particle system yet, but I'll investigate it in a few days.

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »

I've updated the Graphs tutorial! It now uses Unity's Shuriken particle system.

ambethia
Level 0

Hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »

Oh man, you're the best!
Kei
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

I'v just skimmed through your tutorials and its very well made, I use Unity but all my scripting is done almost exclusively in JS, I can do basic conversion to C# but not much more than than that.
Since a lot (almost all) of the extensions and tools for Unity is written in C# I really need to get a better grasp on understanding it and your tutorial looks like it should help give me a nice starting point with Unity+C#.

I'll do my best to throw some coins your way when I can get a few myself, looking forward to more tuts from you.

Thanks for the contribution  Gentleman
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 04:04:31 AM »

Smiley My pleasure. If you're already familiar with working in Unity with UnityScript (JS), then I'm sure you'll blaze through the tutorials.

Kei
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »

Haha, I just went through the first 2 tutorials, it was very very fun.
It all ways giggle like a school girl and bounce off the walls when ever I finish something and actually get it to work,.  Hand Shake Left Corny Laugh Hand Shake Right hehe dunno if that's considered nerdy or what.

I specially love the way you have key terms hi-lighted with additional explanations, though I already know a lot of the terms, its a very good quick reference for neophyte programmers. One thing though, (personal, I think) Some of the wording used, and sudden formulas thrown in may be confusing to those less mathematically/technically inclined like those that are just getting started with programming (but hay that's what Google/research is for right?).

All in all, your tutorials are a 9.0-9.5 on my Richter scale, it would definitively be one of the first things I would recommend to anyone getting into C# + Unity.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »

Smiley Cool you enjoyed them!

So far I haven't yet met people who were confused, so it seems fine to me.

kacper_weiland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »

Great job man!
I want to work with Unity in future and I think your tutorials are very good place to start.
Thanks!
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »

Smiley Great! Have fun with Unity!

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »

My fourth Unity C# tutorial is online: Star, an introduction to custom editors.
Really nice ! You deserve you tip ^^

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »

wow, excellent tutorials man!! just was looking at the star one

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

Beer! Thanks!

Chris Pavia
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »

The editor scripting part of the star tutorial has been invaluable to me sir! I would love to see more editor/GUI scripting stuff.
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »

Smiley Great! As Unity's own documentation is rather lacking, I thought it was a good idea to make a tutorial about editor scripting. Learned a thing or two about it myself as well while making it. There's definitely more ground to cover, however don't expect a new tutorial from me very soon.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »

Great! As Unity's own documentation is rather lacking,

I agree.

Thanks for this set of tutorials! I will definitely use them one day. (When I will need to use Unity for some more advanced game probably)

iTreefish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 04:15:55 AM »

Hiya all!

I'm having trouble getting particles to show up in the Graphs tutorial. I've gotten up to just before changing the resolution variable to currentResolution (so just after adding the first Update method) but no particles show up when the game is started.

After typing in the code myself I went back and just copied and pasted the different sections to make sure I had it all in right but still no joy. Could something tutorial breaking have changed in the update to Unity 4?

Also, the clock tutorial was great!
Thanks!

EDIT: My eyes must be failing. I found I had not disabled "Play on Awake" within the Particle System section. Doing so made all the difference.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:02:35 PM by iTreefish » Logged
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »

Thanks for these!  I read through the Star one and learned a fair bit.  I'm looking forward to going through the others!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic