Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:36:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMuslim Massacre
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Muslim Massacre  (Read 21739 times)
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »

yea, i beat Osama on the first try  Evil bloody pixels  Evil
But this game has nothing, to play it again  Lips Sealed
Reminds me a bit to "seal hunter"
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »

With a theme like this, there is no "don't take it so seriously".
Yes, there is.

This is a German speaking.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 04:42:10 PM »

I know it's supposed to be taken second degree( or is it?) but I find it a bit too gratuitous for my taste.
I know I'm supposed to laugh along and pretend I'm cool, like when you go to a chan site and everybody does "nigga" jokes and hey it's cool because someone will pretend "they don't really hate black people".
Or maybe I'm too old to enjoy this shit?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:54:37 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ortucis
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

I think changing the name to 'Terrorist Massacre' (suggested in some other forum) would pretty much not offend anyone since everyone is just upset cause it has 'muslim' in the title.

I was just upset that the instruction button didn't work for me at first and during the intro visuals stopped and only the voice remained. This couldn't be intentional since the game didn't skip to main menu after the dialogue ended. :|
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »

I'll have to agree with moi. When dealing with these subjects, taste and tact are pretty important factors in how you handle it, and this, while obviously touching on important topics that should be explored a lot more in games, does it with a lack of both.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »

<insert controversy>

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

Keep in mind this is only a beta.

Part of what made making this game fun is drawing on a number of stereotypes and then turning those stereotypes into varied, challenging enemies from a gameplay perspective.
ortucis
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »

I think the speed of the enemies should be reduced a little. When there are 5-6 on-screen you can quickly shoot and dodge, but when you are being chased by like 20 on-screen with suicide bombers in the group then aiming at everything on-screen in the clutter is not accurate and you just end up running around (worse, with pistol) shooting slow bullets while enemies move around with you dodging the bullets in process.
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »

Out of curiosity, what was the reaction like on Indiegames when it was posted?  Did Tim take it down? Shocked

He had no problems putting it up, but one of the indiegames.com corporate cock suckers came on to take it down.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »

I guess Tim might not have been aware of that part of the deal when Indiegames changed. People have been giving him flak about it, I hear.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »

With a theme like this, there is no "don't take it so seriously".
Yes, there is.

This is a German speaking.

I second that.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:09 AM »

Out of curiosity, what was the reaction like on Indiegames when it was posted?  Did Tim take it down? Shocked

He had no problems putting it up, but one of the indiegames.com corporate cock suckers came on to take it down.

But hey, have fun entering the Doritos contest or the Dr. Dobbs Challenge! Let's make big bucks!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 03:58:44 AM »

Tried it - as a game, it's quite fun!  I like the way the ground cracks when you drop a grenade on it.  I beat Osama my first try!

The game's obviously satirical... especially with the long-winded quote from GWB at the beginning.  I imagine the most offensive part would be the 2nd and 3rd bosses, once you put them in, but I doubt anyone who would decry the game would get that far.  It does make me recall that ridiculous jihad against the Danish newspaper.

Anyway, you managed to make an entertaining game that pokes fun at American neocon uber-patriotism/warmongering and religious fundamentalism/extremism both.  So that's good.

Bug: the screen was stretched past the ends of my monitor for some reason.  It was also off-center.
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 05:13:03 AM »

stuff

I'm glad to see some people can see that the game makes legitimate commentary rather than just being made for the sake of being offensive.

Although I think a lot of people just expected it to be blatantly offensive because of other things I make, which is fair enough.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:14 AM »

It's not meant to gain attention by pissing off as much people as humanly possible, but simple "pokes fun" at certain aspects of the whole "America vs Terrorism" thing and Muslims being generally equated with terrorists by a lot of people.

That's how I see it, at least. In the end, only you know what you really tried to convey. Maybe you just wanted to make a fun shooter, but also wanted to break up the monotony of always shooting zombies and monsters. Not ever game has to carry a deep message :D

Edit:
In retrospect, I basically just repeated what Derek said without the intention to actually do so Huh?
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 05:50:34 AM »

I guess Tim might not have been aware of that part of the deal when Indiegames changed. People have been giving him flak about it, I hear.
More flak than when I was on there?

The artist formally known as "Javet."
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26:26 AM »

I thought it was pretty cool, didn't get very far though on my laptop touchpad. Found a glitch although it might have just been something goofy with my computer: I got stuck at the bottom of the screen and could only move left and right but not back up.

As for the name, I think that if you are trying to make political satire the name is fine but if you are going for a game that you want to be well liked by everyone you should change it to terrorist massacre like suggested before.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:48 AM »

That destroys the point though. The conflation of Islam and terrorism is part of the problem in the modern media.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 06:31:36 AM »

More flak than when I was on there?

I dunno, but I saw some flames against him on some other games he's posted.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:51 AM »

As for the name, I think that if you are trying to make political satire the name is fine but if you are going for a game that you want to be well liked by everyone you should change it to terrorist massacre like suggested before.

Can't ever please everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic