Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:57:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMuslim Massacre
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Muslim Massacre  (Read 21740 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

Hmm, I think that people are reading a little too into this.

However, at times like this many are quite sensitive to using these themes in entertainment. Hell, I was just thinking about this earlier while watching Hogan's Heroes. Here they are pretty much making the Nazi's into some kind of joke which just seemed somewhat offensive to me. Not that we can't laugh at the idea of a POW camp run by a bunch of bumbling Nazis, it is just the context itself. Now don't get me wrong, I have a very, well, unorthodox sense of humor so I can laugh at this type of satire, but that doesn't mean that I can't be offended somewhat at the same time.

In the case of this game however, I don't believe that Sigvatr was trying to provoke people necessarily. It just seems to me that he was trying to think of a catchy title. I mean, c'mon Muslim Massacre is very catchy with it's little alliterative slant.

Maybe you should have called it "Tenacious Terrorist Tussle" :D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »

I'm apolitical.
That's very highly unlikely.

Yeah, just tell me what my beliefs are, fuck head.
Zaphos
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »

I don't believe that Sigvatr was trying to provoke people necessarily.

... but provoking people is pretty much all Sigvatr ever does.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »

I don't believe that Sigvatr was trying to provoke people necessarily.

... but provoking people is pretty much all Sigvatr ever does.

lol...

I think Sigvatr actually meant to put a smiley on the end of that:

Yeah, just tell me what my beliefs are, fuck head Smiley

See, all better :D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2008, 02:22:51 AM »

Sigvatr, I think Increpare was trying to point out that no matter how apolitical you are, you have to support democracy or some such variant for the freedom it allows you to make various controversial games like this.

I'm not going to play the game, because the name has little to do with the gameplay, which makes it seem like needless controversy. It would probably take four seconds for you to rearrange the text to say "Terrorist Takedown" or "Taliban Toss-up", but you've just been a bit too stubborn on this point Lips Sealed
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2008, 02:44:06 AM »

we'll cut off your chonson! how do you like that, leboffski!

Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »

Sigvatr, I think Increpare was trying to point out that no matter how apolitical you are, you have to support democracy or some such variant for the freedom it allows you to make various controversial games like this.

I quite literally mean what I said; I don't care about politics and don't think about them and have no opinions.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »

That's impossible, Sigvatr, and an immature thing to say. No one is apolitical because it directly affects everyones life. You have moral beliefs that govern your daily life and just because you don't think about how they relate to the system you live in (which i don't think is even true), it doesn't mean the relationship is not there.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:21 AM »

Main Entry:
    apo·lit·i·cal
Pronunciation:
    \ˌā-pə-ˈli-ti-kəl\
Function:
    adjective

1: having no interest or involvement in political affairs; also : having an aversion to politics or political affairs
2: having no political significance
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »

Well, I think it is possible to completely disassociate yourself from the common held political values of the day. Hell, I do everyday. However, I guess this could be turned on it's head. I remember arguing with my grandpa about religion and I basically told him that what he believed was his own personal philosophy but he disagreed vehemently that it was not a "philosophy". Even if you don't have a adherence to any philosophical train of thought you still have a philosophy of not having a philosophy. So I guess you would call people that sever themselves from politics to be "politically neutral". But you would have to stick with it, meaning that if you are indeed apolitical you do not and cannot have any association with or opinion on the political issues of the day.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »

I'm glad to see some people can see that the game makes legitimate commentary rather than just being made for the sake of being offensive.

Although I think a lot of people just expected it to be blatantly offensive because of other things I make, which is fair enough.

So which is it, you were making a commentary or you just thought it would be funny? If the commentary in the game isn't political, what type of commentary is it?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »

Some of you guys are reading too much into the word 'apolitical' just for the sake of arguing over nothing. It doesn't mean you don't have any opinions at all. It's a word that's used to describe people who don't find politics interesting -- i.e. doesn't consider themselves as supporting any political issues or positions or parties very strongly, usually doesn't vote, etc.

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushie was apolitical as well, but he still got a fatwa pronounced on him.

Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »

It is commentary on how easily offended people can be, and the game intentionally tries to offend on that note.

I've always been interested in how people seem to take great offense from things that have nothing to do with them. I haven't heard from one Muslim anywhere where I have posted this game that they were offended (if there were any). Anyone who has been offended by this game has been offended because they probably think it would offend someone else, or that it would be their social responsibility to be offended by this, or at least put on the appearance of being offended.

I call it the chain of offensiveness.

Basically, my philosophy of this game is that if you were offended, you are an idiot.

If you were offended, you deserved to be offended.

As for American/Islamic commentary, I can't say I have an opinion. Human cultures have always seemed like bacteria to me; some of them consume each other, some exist next to each other with no problems, some develop a symbiotic relationship etc...

I don't hate Americans or Muslims, but I find both of their cultures disgusting and hilarious equally. It's not a politically orientated viewpoint, its simply an expression of my disgust portrayed through a video game.

And if anyone was wondering, yes, I am a completely antisocial sociopath. I even consider myself an intellectual sociopath. I take great pleasure if offending and aggravating others, especially the complex group relationships people form. Aside from that, I can have great respect for an individual.

I don't hate Muslims or Americans specifically, but I do hate the human race in general.

In short, the release of this game is a social experiment, and I enjoy seeing people argue with each other in response to it more than I enjoyed making it.

It's still fun and a funny game, though, from my point of view.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »

Anyone who has been offended by this game has been offended because they probably think it would offend someone else, or that it would be their social responsibility to be offended by this, or at least put on the appearance of being offended.

I think that's very true, yep.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

Not true in the case of Americans Smiley

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

What do you mean, Rinku?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »

What I mean is that most people who are getting offended over the "killing Muslims" part of it are not Muslim, whereas those who are getting offended over the "bashing Americans" part of it are American.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2008, 05:07:37 PM »

Hm, I'm American and I'm not offended by either. I think the whole argument is just silly.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2008, 05:25:19 PM »

Well, not all Americans would be offended obviously, just some.

asdasd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »

Only in a liberal western nation which supports freedom of speech could a minority have a website shut down. It wouldn't matter to me if the game was about terrorists killing US troops in Iraq, I would still hate to see it banned because no one has the right to silence anyone.

Can someone post a picture of the last boss 'Allah'? I can only just get past Mohammed and then I die.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic