Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:14:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs5734L3R
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: 5734L3R  (Read 148339 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »

Got any other devlogs I need to follow to explain some mysteries? Wink
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »

Got any other devlogs I need to follow to explain some mysteries? Wink

Currently only this one.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »

Which variant of the hack menu do you prefer?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: February 22, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »

I like the last one. The overlay gives it a more hologram-esque vibe

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: March 01, 2017, 07:08:32 AM »

As physical engine we are using Nape. We have set it approximately so far (because there are more priority tasks on current stage), so now crates looks lightweight.
Meanwhile programmer got carried away during prototype development and added pseudo-3D effect to crates. Yes, it's 0% 3D, not even model - just a same frontal image rendered twice with 33% of original horizontal size and rotated/scewed trough matrix multiplication. + Colors were multiplied by 0.5 (= darkened).

PS: I know, there's a bit of disconnect with the environment, so walls and platform looking flat. We'll fix it, after end up with the main stuff.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: March 01, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »

This is looks really good! Did I see some stealth things there?

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: March 02, 2017, 07:47:46 AM »

This is looks really good! Did I see some stealth things there?

Yes, stealth things are planned!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

Ooh! that's really neat. You can also make it inconvenient some times, like a faction has a particular grudge against another, so turrets only activate for a particular chip. That would only work if changing chips weren't trivial though.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2017, 07:51:04 PM »

Ooh! that's really neat. You can also make it inconvenient some times, like a faction has a particular grudge against another, so turrets only activate for a particular chip. That would only work if changing chips weren't trivial though.

It's a good idea! Thank you!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2017, 10:40:04 AM »

Trying to fix readability of pixel font:

Is second version better?

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »

It's more readable but I think the first font is still better just because it's more visually appealing. I played with it a little to try and come up with a happy medium? imo it would be ideal to let players choose between a heavily stylized font and a readable-as-possible font, so they can have the pretty pixels if they're comfortable with them and something clearer if it's making the game difficult for them. That and/or transition to a readable font when text is moused over, possibly?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: March 08, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »

Readability comes first to me. But I like Pineapple's 3 choice!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »

imo it would be ideal to let players choose between a heavily stylized font and a readable-as-possible font

It's a really good idea! But I think will be better to make transition between font variants as option in settings menu, some part of players using gamepads instead mouse+keyboard.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: March 21, 2017, 04:42:16 AM »

Testing interaction of lasers with other objects:

Canned Turkey
« Reply #514 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »

Factions

Factions exist as just groups of robots with different functions, but at the same time they constitute a single whole, i.e. the System. At some point of time System was unified and all robots were serving one great purpose. But the recent failure in System's inner working caused a split. After this, the System Advisors began to pursue different global purposes. How story event will develop going to be, based on which side 5734L3R will stand. So game will have several endings.

Each faction will have unique types of robots (beside standart types, like guards, loaders etc) as well as the visual style different from the others. Therefore, player can always distinguish between different factions (in any case, I will try to achieve this). In addition, the factions will mark their territory with unique signs (check the post picture - signs on the left from robots).

These are not just signs on the walls, but objects that provide certain information for player.

Social chips

Belonging to one or another faction is determined by a social chip.  By default, 5734L3R doesn't have any chip, so he is not belong to any faction.  So if he steals this item, he will not only have a new identifier, but also enjoy all basic privileges of the faction to which the social chip  belongs. 

Also inside faction social chips will have different levels of access. Thus guard will have access to more  privileges  and locations than loader.

Faction puzzle example

However, there can be confusion here, despite special faction signs. As in the case of this location:

There are still conflicts between two groups, so it's impossible to unequivocally attribute the territory to either of factions.

Let's take a closer look at the situation depicted on this gif. As I said earlier, this location has an undefined membership status. Therefore, here there are robots of both factions, as well as lasers with different colors.

These lasers are  harmless for members of a certain group - emerald lasers harmless for red robots and red lasers  harmless  for bugs.

As you can see on this screen, the path of the red robot is longer than what it is shown on gif. It's because of the emerald laser blocking his path. 

To solve this puzzle, player must find a way to turn off one of the lasers and set the elevator in such a position to provoke a conflict between robots.

The task is complicated by the fact that at the moment 5734L3R  doesn’t have a social chip and this means that the robots of both factions are hostile to him. Another difficulty is that it’s necessary to somehow preserve the functionality of the robot of one of the fractions. After the 5734L3R finds a social chip, intact robot will cover him from other faction robot attacks.

Interesting update Smiley

Are you planning on having advanced movement options for the player? Watching that GIF it was my gut instinct to think 5734L3R was going to duck underneath the laser shot at him.
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: May 06, 2017, 11:49:40 PM »

Are you planning on having advanced movement options for the player?

What you mean on "advanced movement options"?

Canned Turkey
« Reply #516 on: May 07, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »

Crouching, wall jumping, anything like that.
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: May 30, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »

Yes, we still working on this!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: August 09, 2017, 06:06:31 AM »

Yet again system proven to be not good enough to solve arising problems. This time it was Input-Output module that lies at the core of every object that have interactivity. Lifts interact with buttons, push-buttons interact with lasers, terminals interact with AI. Problem is, it was one-sided event system without ability to know what connected to what.
Rewritten system behave more like "Wires". If object wants to interact with another object it creates output wire to that object and sends both events and state via said wire. This wire is always attached to both objects and provides more robust interaction between objects. I was struggling with implementation of smarter AI that can operate lifts and lasers in old system, because I had no way to know which button would lower the lift or what box to push in order to disable laser. With new system it's as simple as looking at the connected wires and implementing behaviour like "If laser blocks the way - just remove the box from the button" becomes trivial task of path correction.
But not only that system got new additions. AI movement state obtained quite a rework to support advanced paths, and not simple linear movement to avoid state overcomplication. Now they use a command list which is a stepping stone for in-the-work pathing based on level geometry.

Below is an example of on-the-fly path correction based on environment (in that case - laser blocking the path).

And same situation in the debug view to showcase both wiring (white/red lines that connect objects) and internal AI decision making in case of obstacle.

What happens here is injection of new list of commands directly to current command pool (in that case "walk to the next patrool node") and can be descibed in that way:

AI sees laser -> calls path correction routine -> inserts new commands before current command and proceed to execute them.

After correction just one command [WalkTo(node)] expands to [Wait(0.3s), WalkTo(button), WalkTo(node)]. In the future second command will be replaced by action of actual pushing object from the button with animation, but for now AI just walks onto the button to ensure the crate will be moved aside.

Bonus round, small parallax for the city in background:

AI now pretty much in working order and ready for implementation of new robot types as well as other gameplay systems. And I want to start piecing together first global map piece that would be used for first tech-demo build. That would perfectly show how systems will tie together and will help a lot in testing core systems in the real situation and not enclosed testing environment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:05:51 PM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:38 AM »

The project is very good ...
Blink I'm watching. Blink

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic