Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1301753 Posts in 58009 Topics- by 49079 Members - Latest Member: westclif

June 24, 2017, 06:03:54 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogs5734L3R
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]
Print
Author Topic: 5734L3R  (Read 98906 times)
Canned Turkey
Level 10

Always The Devil's Advocate

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:53 am »

Factions

Factions exist as just groups of robots with different functions, but at the same time they constitute a single whole, i.e. the System. At some point of time System was unified and all robots were serving one great purpose. But the recent failure in System's inner working caused a split. After this, the System Advisors began to pursue different global purposes. How story event will develop going to be, based on which side 5734L3R will stand. So game will have several endings.

Each faction will have unique types of robots (beside standart types, like guards, loaders etc) as well as the visual style different from the others. Therefore, player can always distinguish between different factions (in any case, I will try to achieve this). In addition, the factions will mark their territory with unique signs (check the post picture - signs on the left from robots).

These are not just signs on the walls, but objects that provide certain information for player.

Social chips

Belonging to one or another faction is determined by a social chip.  By default, 5734L3R doesn't have any chip, so he is not belong to any faction.  So if he steals this item, he will not only have a new identifier, but also enjoy all basic privileges of the faction to which the social chip  belongs. 

Also inside faction social chips will have different levels of access. Thus guard will have access to more  privileges  and locations than loader.

Faction puzzle example

However, there can be confusion here, despite special faction signs. As in the case of this location:

There are still conflicts between two groups, so it's impossible to unequivocally attribute the territory to either of factions.

Let's take a closer look at the situation depicted on this gif. As I said earlier, this location has an undefined membership status. Therefore, here there are robots of both factions, as well as lasers with different colors.

These lasers are  harmless for members of a certain group - emerald lasers harmless for red robots and red lasers  harmless  for bugs.

As you can see on this screen, the path of the red robot is longer than what it is shown on gif. It's because of the emerald laser blocking his path. 

To solve this puzzle, player must find a way to turn off one of the lasers and set the elevator in such a position to provoke a conflict between robots.

The task is complicated by the fact that at the moment 5734L3R  doesn’t have a social chip and this means that the robots of both factions are hostile to him. Another difficulty is that it’s necessary to somehow preserve the functionality of the robot of one of the fractions. After the 5734L3R finds a social chip, intact robot will cover him from other faction robot attacks.

Interesting update Smiley

Are you planning on having advanced movement options for the player? Watching that GIF it was my gut instinct to think 5734L3R was going to duck underneath the laser shot at him.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2017, 11:49:40 pm »

Are you planning on having advanced movement options for the player?

What you mean on "advanced movement options"?

Canned Turkey
Level 10

Always The Devil's Advocate

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #522 on: May 07, 2017, 07:09:04 am »

Crouching, wall jumping, anything like that.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: May 08, 2017, 08:50:56 pm »

Crouching, wall jumping, anything like that.
Maybe, I'm not sure now.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: May 09, 2017, 07:16:27 am »

Algorithms

Here is some raw prototype gifs, technical info and links to something you can touch with your hands right now. Today, let's talk about algorithms. Specifically, external tools I use to test/prototype stuff for the game.

Welcome to OpenProcessing. It's a minimalistic site where you can test things out without much overhead on top using JavaScript. I will cover several examples via several posts and today it'll be pseudo-3D effect.

https://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/408645

That's the sketch that was made before integrating into the game code. Simple, messy, but works. Idea behind pseudo-3D effect was to render the object 2 more times with according matrix distortions so it look like a side of the object. That's why I call it pseudo - there is not really a lot of 3D math involved. Just some 2D matrices. In-game implementation a bit different, but idea still the same.

Entire function fits into:

1. Start at [scaleX*.33, 0, 0, scaleY*(sin(angle) or cos(angle)), 0, 0] matrix. sin used for first, cos for second texture.

2. Multiply it at [1, 0, tan(-angle % PI), 1, 0, 0] matrix.

3. Translate matrix to new anchor depending on rotation angle. (formula depends on texture and angle)

4. Translate matrix on front texture x/y position minus camera position.

5. Apply parent matrix and render.

6. Repeat for second texture.

But just throwing in link and talk a bit about it is boring. Let's show some examples.

That's how it looks in-game. I don't even know if this effect will be used at all in the end, but hey, experiments!

But what if we mess with the code a bit?

First, let's tint textures in different colors, so you can see what actually gets rendered where. Red texture is first rendered side, green - second.

As you can see, it's just same texture drawn with different parameters (disposition, rotation, skewing and scaling). But what if I will use something with transparency, not just simple rectangular shape?

That's... Interesting. This effect does not work well with complex shapes, obviously. To mimic 3D effect in that case, we'll need at least minimal 3D math involved, polygon data (vertex/UV + textures for sides) at least. I'll throw in a few more examples of messing with parameters and breaking algorithm, because why not?

Let's remove scaling. Originally sides are scaled to 33% of texture width.

This actually produced interesting result of side visually appearing wider than front part. In reality they are identical. Go figure. And why not disable readjusting of translation anchor to accomodate for rotation of object?

And we got all rendered sides snapped onto single point, without actually rendering all sides.

Oh, and let's add this to every object on scene (well, except lasers as they use different rendering routine), because again, why not?

Apparently this shown that I did a lazy job implementing algorithm and it ignores sprite origin and flipping state. But as long as this intended to be used on rectangular shapes without transparency, we don't have to introduce too much complexity anyway.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:07:12 am by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: May 30, 2017, 10:38:47 am »

Yes, we still working on this!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: May 31, 2017, 04:47:19 am »

Just different WIP stuff from my current work on 5734L3R.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: June 04, 2017, 03:57:38 am »

New robo, Hevy Enforcer.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic