Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:09:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAvoision
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Avoision  (Read 1599 times)
Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »

Avoision is a simple, fast-paced arcade game I originally created in 2011 and have since ported to HTML5/JavaScript (so now you can play it without installing anything).

Overview:
The rules of the game are pretty simple: you control a green square and try to capture a red square. It sounds easy and, at first, it is. However, after each score, a new moving obstacle is added to the screen that you must avoid in your quest for the next red square.

In order to encourage reckless abandon, the faster you capture the red square, the more points you score--so don't be afraid to live life on the edge! It may sound a little too simple, but please give it a shot--I've found it to be fairly addictive.

Side note: I should, of course, mention that an old Flash game called Eskiv was part of the inspiration for Avoision. The main differences are the graphics, sound, scoring system, and levels of difficulty.

Features:
  • Fast-paced, old school arcade gameplay
  • Retro graphics and sound
  • Multiple levels of difficulty
  • Keyboard, mouse, and touch controls

Background/Progress:
I originally created Avoision in 2011 using a custom game engine (based on SDL, OpenGL, Lua, etc.) for Windows and Linux. After getting frustrated with installers and supporting multiple platforms, I later decided to port the game to HTML5 (using the canvas element) and JavaScript (tested on Chrome 27 and IE 11).

Moving development to GitHub and the platform to HTML5 has made rapid development a reality. I can merge two branches and instantly the updated version is "released." This is a huge improvement over having to build installers (booting into multiple OSes in the process), post files online, etc. Anyway, I encourage you to give HTML5 another look if you passed it up originally (as I did).

GitHub page:
https://github.com/jaredkrinke/AvoisionJS

Play Avoision here:
http://jaredkrinke.github.io/AvoisionJS

Download from the Windows Store (for Windows 8.1):
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/avoision/75208ce3-78d0-45c8-8547-d32fc08adf08

Link to the old (non-HTML5) Avoision web site (including installable packages for Windows and Linux):
http://avsn.sourceforge.net/

Screenshot:

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:55:49 PM by Deraj » Logged

Try my HTML5 games: SIC-1, Chromium JSU
Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »

A lot has happened since I posted about Avoision 0.7 here back in August of 2011. I have since switched environments from a custom game engine (SDL, OpenGL, Lua) to HTML5/JavaScript.

On the one hand, I've added the additional dependency of an HTML5-capable browser. But on the other hand, I've eliminated the need to download and install anything and made releasing updates essentially seamless (I literally just merge two branches and push the update to GitHub).

I'm sure this game won't run in every browser (such is life on the Web; I tested on Windows using Chrome 27 and IE 11), but at least I feel like the barrier to attempting to try the game out has been substantially lowered Smiley

I hope you like it!

Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »

Not sure if anyone viewing this forum is on a touch device, but I improved the touch joystick substantially a little while back. Just go to fullscreen mode and pretend the right side of the screen is a joystick Smiley

In case anyone's curious, the main update was to make the joystick consider both the angle and the "extent" (really distance since it's 2D).

Let me know if it works for you or if you run into trouble. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic