Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:30:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMost Anticipated Unreleased Indie Games (2011 version)
Poll
Question: Which indie games are you most looking forward to being finished? (you may vote for any number)  (Voting closed: November 13, 2011, 10:01:11 PM)
The Underside - 48 (2.8%)
Fez - 120 (7%)
Avaus - 2 (0.1%)
Velella - 6 (0.3%)
Subversion - 27 (1.6%)
Closure (remake) - 14 (0.8%)
Spelunky (XBLA remake) - 69 (4%)
Another Metroid 2 Remake - 13 (0.8%)
ArcMagi - 10 (0.6%)
Saturated Dreamers - 50 (2.9%)
Card Saga Wars - 26 (1.5%)
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: 2 - 23 (1.3%)
Bob's Game - 5 (0.3%)
Mondo Nation - 15 (0.9%)
Age of Decadence - 9 (0.5%)
Indie Game Brawl - 24 (1.4%)
Minus World - 12 (0.7%)
Brain-Damaged Toon Underworld - 26 (1.5%)
Voxatron - 41 (2.4%)
Scoregasm - 5 (0.3%)
The Witness - 56 (3.3%)
Journey - 43 (2.5%)
Dust: An Elysian Tale - 24 (1.4%)
Monaco: What’s Yours Is Mine - 59 (3.4%)
Retro City Rampage - 29 (1.7%)
Spy Party - 42 (2.4%)
Tuning - 15 (0.9%)
Captain Jameson - 12 (0.7%)
Nexus City - 8 (0.5%)
Antichamber (Hazard: The Journey of Life) - 15 (0.9%)
Joe's Game - 20 (1.2%)
Infested Planet - 11 (0.6%)
Grapple Buggy - 7 (0.4%)
Trine 2 - 13 (0.8%)
Cletus Clay - 11 (0.6%)
Tiny and Big - 6 (0.3%)
Nidhogg - 41 (2.4%)
The Balls - 4 (0.2%)
Aces Wild Baby - 5 (0.3%)
Snapshot - 12 (0.7%)
Polymaniacs - 2 (0.1%)
Dungeon Defenders - 6 (0.3%)
Lotties Dungeon - 6 (0.3%)
Driftmoon - 8 (0.5%)
Confetti Carnival - 3 (0.2%)
Vessel - 6 (0.3%)
Avernum (remake) - 6 (0.3%)
DaggerXL - 6 (0.3%)
Dead State - 8 (0.5%)
MadHouse HD - 8 (0.5%)
Spuck - 7 (0.4%)
Sword of Legends - 7 (0.4%)
Hadean Lands - 4 (0.2%)
Marian - 18 (1%)
Overgrowth - 48 (2.8%)
Eversion 2 - 13 (0.8%)
Ceillus - 9 (0.5%)
Owlboy - 69 (4%)
Melolune - 17 (1%)
Cinders - 10 (0.6%)
Myriad Online - 4 (0.2%)
Dstroyd - 3 (0.2%)
Rigonauts - 3 (0.2%)
To the Moon - 9 (0.5%)
La Mulana (Wii) - 33 (1.9%)
Cave Story 3D - 18 (1%)
Diamond Trust of London - 6 (0.3%)
Cell: Emergence - 2 (0.1%)
Children of Liberty - 2 (0.1%)
Asylum - 3 (0.2%)
Lone Survivor - 11 (0.6%)
Dyad - 4 (0.2%)
Rockfish - 6 (0.3%)
Iconoclasts - 47 (2.7%)
The Binding of Isaac - 29 (1.7%)
The Archer - 34 (2%)
Café - 26 (1.5%)
An Invitation to Neverwhere - 3 (0.2%)
The Indie Game Legend 2 - 15 (0.9%)
The Real Texas - 7 (0.4%)
Solipsius - 4 (0.2%)
Scrolls - 17 (1%)
Cobalt - 18 (1%)
Resonance - 3 (0.2%)
Akuchizoku - 4 (0.2%)
Naumachia: Space Warfare - 7 (0.4%)
Jet Thunder - 2 (0.1%)
Skullgirls - 20 (1.2%)
The Salvage - 8 (0.5%)
Hyper Princess Pitch - 10 (0.6%)
Miegakure - 15 (0.9%)
Loot Pursuit - 2 (0.1%)
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution DLC - 2 (0.1%)
Dead Block - 1 (0.1%)
In Momentum - 1 (0.1%)
Chivalry - 3 (0.2%)
Skulls of the Shogun - 4 (0.2%)
Natural Selection 2 - 6 (0.3%)
Gemini Wars - 2 (0.1%)
Take On Helicopters - 1 (0.1%)
Valdis Story A.C. - 7 (0.4%)
Hawken - 15 (0.9%)
Dicta Boelcke - 1 (0.1%)
Sketchbrawlers Kicks Ass - 2 (0.1%)
The Island - 6 (0.3%)
Blocks that Matter - 3 (0.2%)
Solar Reboot - 5 (0.3%)
JForce: Unstoppable - 6 (0.3%)
Phantasmaburbia - 4 (0.2%)
Intelligent Frog Family - 2 (0.1%)
Tick Tock Isle - 8 (0.5%)
Legend of Iya - 3 (0.2%)
Generic - 1 (0.1%)
Life+ - 5 (0.3%)
Super Banana Nababa - 18 (1%)
Total Voters: 202

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Most Anticipated Unreleased Indie Games (2011 version)  (Read 27044 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »

Beep is released on Steam.

What about In Momentum or Take On Helicopters (As far as I know, it's by the Arma guys but self-published so *kind of* counts as indie?)

How indie are Paradox titles given the success of Magicka?

Gemini Wars from Camel101?

Natural Selection 2?

Skulls of the Shogun no longer considered because of MS publishing?

Chivalry?

Scrolls?

Atomic City Adventures?

Dead Block?

Dungeon Viva?

Naumachia?

Followups to the Steel Storm series? (I work on this one!)

i removed beep after confirming that it's out. scrolls is already on the poll. for these other games, could you give some links? i haven't heard of any of them. but i'll try to look them up and add them as i confirm they exist
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:46:16 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »

Yes it is different tastes. In my experience of indie games, many have shallow gameplay. I feel vacant playing them, either because the game is rote and there's nothing to think about, or that the things to think about are just not interesting.

There are no doubt some exceptions, and in par a lot of commercial games also fall into this group. The difference is that commercial games often attempt to make up for this defect in some other ways, by having impressive music and impressive graphics and impressive mood. Focussing on these sensory areas is not ideal, but it's just how the majority of commercial games are now.

As you can probably tell, I don't play many games. I think the last one I bought was 4 years ago. I played more games when I was a child.

actually in that case i suspect (as you say) that it's just that you haven't yet played very many indie games, because what you describe totally doesn't match with my experience

have you tried the games i mentioned as having taken several years to finish? at the very least, you have to admit, say, aquaria has gorgeous graphics (and imo the best soundtrack of any indie game), so saying that indie games don't have impressive music, graphics, and mood makes no sense to me. and glum buster's and spacechem's gameplay blow any commercial game i've ever played out of the water

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »

I'm here to be part of the same scene you are.
Oh I'm not talking about you or even professional game devs in general, it's just that there are a bunch of "high-profile" commercial "indie" games (Braid, Fez, Super Meat Boy, etc.) and developers that seem to get all the attention. The indies who are actually successful don't post on TIGS anymore and have retreated to a bunch of secret forums. Ideals like staying independent and doing things your own way seem to be on the decline. It all seems both more cliquish and more commercialized than when I first started lurking here.

Don't get me wrong, I still like this community and I like a lot of the people here, but I'm growing more and more disillusioned with the "indie scene." Or maybe it's always been like that and I was just naive, idk.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »

Games which I missed on the list are Desktop Dungeons, of course (4 pages and nobody mentioned it?!), and the impressive-looking Naumachia: Space Warfare by AuraSection: http://naumachia.aureasection.com/

added naumachia. desktop dungeons was nominated before but not included because this is a poll about *unreleased* indie games, not games that are in public alpha/beta (and thus basically released) like minecraft and desktop dungeons and dwarf fortress and so on -- so it doesn't make sense to me to say you're looking forward to playing those games because you can already play those games (as they exist publicly now and as they are constantly updated)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »

I'd like to say The Salvage but I don't think a release date was ever mentioned in the devlog thread.  Hell, I don't even know if it's still in development.  Hypothetically, if that were going to be released for the end of 2011 that would definitely be my first vote.

the poll isn't limited to games with a 2011 release date; the "2011 version" is not meant to imply that the games will all be released in 2011, just that this poll is being held in 2011, so i'll add it to the list

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »

I'm here to be part of the same scene you are.
Oh I'm not talking about you or even professional game devs in general, it's just that there are a bunch of "high-profile" commercial "indie" games (Braid, Fez, Super Meat Boy, etc.) and developers that seem to get all the attention. The indies who are actually successful don't post on TIGS anymore and have retreated to a bunch of secret forums. Ideals like staying independent and doing things your own way seem to be on the decline. It all seems both more cliquish and more commercialized than when I first started lurking here.

Don't get me wrong, I still like this community and I like a lot of the people here, but I'm growing more and more disillusioned with the "indie scene." Or maybe it's always been like that and I was just naive, idk.

i think this is true and a problem but the way i think of it is that those people who go out of touch with the community after they become successful simply joined a separate parallel "successful indie scene", with the normal "hobbyist indie scene" still existing alongside it, so i don't see how it's the fault of the first indie scene that some people leave it to join a separate second mainstream-indie scene

and it sort of has always been like that, yes. even as far back as the late 90s / early 00s there were separate communities for hobbyist developers and successful shareware game developers; the two communities always existed in parallel, with one focused more on what looks cool and making dream games and the other focused more on what makes money, marketing, business issues, increasing traffic, etc.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »

Sword and Sorcery is out, isn't it?

i am unable to find confirmation on that after some cursory googling. anyone know for sure? i found some links to some reviews, but no link to a 'buy' or 'download' page

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »

Sword and Sworcery is definitely out. I own it and I've finished it. Here's the the iTunes page: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/superbrothers-sword-sworcery/id424912055?mt=8
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:07:18 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »

i think this is true and a problem but the way i think of it is that those people who go out of touch with the community after they become successful simply joined a separate parallel "successful indie scene", with the normal "hobbyist indie scene" still existing alongside it, so i don't see how it's the fault of the first indie scene that some people leave it to join a separate second mainstream-indie scene
I never said that. I don't know whose "fault" it is, but I feel that TIGS, at least for a short while seemed to bring the professional and the hobbyist scenes closer together. I found that exciting at the time and it was what inspired me to pick up game development again (I hadn't done anything in that direction for almost 4 years when I discovered TIGS).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »

I never said that. I don't know whose "fault" it is, but I feel that TIGS, at least for a short while seemed to bring the professional and the hobbyist scenes closer together. I found that exciting at the time and it was what inspired me to pick up game development again (I hadn't done anything in that direction for almost 4 years when I discovered TIGS).

i think it still does to an extent -- there are still a few successful indies who post here regularly, like derek etc., but i think it's less than before yeah. but there are still lots of people here with professional-level skills, and even if they aren't yet successful indies there's a wide spectrum of developer skill here, from beginners just learning how to use game maker to professional programmers and artists

but in particular the frontpage seems very commercial-centric lately. you have to go back 9 posts before it even covers or mentions a freeware game (station 37). but that's largely my fault, there are lots of great freeware games i've been meaning to review (like podunkian's puppy game) but haven't had the chance / been too lazy

and okay, removing sword and sworcery

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »

fuck i meant to click nidhogg but i clicked the balls instead

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »

i think this is true and a problem but the way i think of it is that those people who go out of touch with the community after they become successful simply joined a separate parallel "successful indie scene",
You're talking about Derek Yu?
We need a new really indie leader.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »

no i mentioned derek as having stayed with the community despite becoming successful, unlike many others; he was a counter-example to the trend, not an example of it (or perhaps the exception that proves the rule?)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »

i'm nominating a game myself:

hyper princess pitch by ultimortal!!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

Jet Thunder?

cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

I nominate Miegakure

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »

Looks nice, Ultimortal always makes good stuff.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »

added, but remember to include links when you nominate games cause some of the game names are hard to google / confirm

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »

This looks real nice

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Amirai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »

This is a great idea for a list.  It's the type of thing I think has been needed, since so many games are hard to find out about so having a list of all of them in one place is very helpful.  It would be great when you type up the links if they could be sorted by genre or something.

Could you add loot pursuit to the list?  www.loot-pursuit.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic