Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:07:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDawn of Battle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dawn of Battle  (Read 1113 times)
Fugsnarf
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:12 PM »

I thought I would make a DevLog of what is to be my first original and serious game to be released. It's called Dawn of Battle.

Dawn of Battle is an individual turn-based PvP game which is to be hosted over a server. You can think of each battle as being much like an older turn-based RPG such as Final Fantasy. Each individual gets his/her own turn, and each team its own turn as well. In your turn, you choose from multiple options of attack.

Controls-
The controls are very simple. You use the ASDF keys to choose the corresponding choice in the menu that comes up during your turn (F to attack, D to defend, S to access the techniques and magic menu, and A to access the specials menu). You target your enemy by clicking him/her with your mouse. Most selection will be done using the mouse.

Gameplay-
When you enter the game and choose to fight, you must choose a character. Each character has a certain element and certain abilities. You can then choose a type of battle (1v1, 2v2, etc) and the type of field for battle. Not only do characters and their attacks have an element to them, but the field does too. Let's say a water element character is up against the fire element character. The water element character's attacks will do more damage as it is. If the field is also a water field, the fire element character will take even more damage. Fields could also give other types of buffs or debuffs to the right elements.

Techniques, magic, and specials all use SP (special points). SP is gained every time you use a normal attack or defend (more for attacking, less for defending). SP is also preset at a certain level at the start of battle, depending on the character and their buffs. Naturally, specials tend to use more SP than magic or techniques. However, each move can use a different amount. Currently, every character has 1 special and 1 technique. Eventually, I will add more.

Enough text walls though, I'll get into a lot more detail in later logs. Let's show some artwork of the characters that are currently completely sprited and implemented into the game already.

I plan for all of the characters to have specific names.

You may notice that the spear girl has no assigned element yet. That is because I haven't chosen one for her at this moment.

You may also notice the three different attack styles: short, medium, and long range. In battle, there are two rows. Characters take less damage in the back row, and more in the front. However, short ranged characters can only use their attack in the front row. Medium and long ranged characters can be in either row. Medium range stands for characters that use melee weapons, but can still be in the back row (the spear girl, for instance).

The wizard is an interesting character, as you can actually choose his element. The current black wizard is simply a null elemental display sprite. In-game, you can choose between a lightning, fire, or ice wizard, all with different colored robes.

There are many more characters planned for the game and being worked on than just these five. We hope for it to be a very balanced environment.

That's all for today. By the next log, I should have a test server up for anybody to join. I also hope to do some video logs in the future perhaps!

Due to still using placeholders for the field backgrounds (Final Fantasy tiles), I didn't really want to show any actual in-game screenshots. However, I suppose I can give a little teaser of a 1 versus 4 test battle I did.

Until next log, see you all later!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:51:47 AM by Fugsnarf » Logged
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »

snip
The sprites look quite nice; I am not fond of the title.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:54:16 AM by Inanimate » Logged
Fugsnarf
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »

Well then, what do you think it should be called? I don't think it's the greatest name in the world, but I personally don't mind it. I'm always up for input though.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic