Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:57:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatformer (no title yet)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platformer (no title yet)  (Read 1481 times)
davidv
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »

Hello, this is devlog about my new platformer (no title yet). I am making this thread to get feedback and tips and because I must now complete it.

About : there is only one map in this game, which you must go through, but its full of monsters, traps and you cant just quickly run to its end. Explore its corners to find various items which can help you.
Hero:

Its first game I want to complete and thats why I use Game Maker, to make thinks easier (I was programming in Java previously).

New updates very soon!

(Sorry for some mistakes, but I am not very good in English language)
davidv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »

First update

So I started making the game engine, and for now I have movement and collision with map (which isnt tile based like most Game Maker platformers, but drawn as sprite).

Here is how it looks :

Feel free to comment (if you have what).
davidv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »

Update 2
I havent made so big progress from the last update as I wanted to do, but that is mostly because I was upgrading my Game Maker to Standard.

-added moving clouds as background. They spawn on random position and travel to the right with random speed. (the only think they need is more sprites)
-added lives, currently 3
-started working on first monster, wild boar. Its friendly, but later (when I add items to the game), it starts chasing you when you hold apple in your hands. When you throw the apple away the boar throws down enemies on its way to it.

Here is screenshot :
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:04:44 AM by davidv » Logged
davidv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »

This isnt an update, but because I havent received any feedback yet, I must ask. I was making changes in graphics and ended up with resolution 320 x 180 (16:9), which is pretty small. Whould you play in this resolution, or do you normally close such small games? Here is screenshot for ilustration :
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »

The game I'm currently working on is 320x180 exactly, so I'm in favour of it Coffee

I like the boar idea, quite a natural puzzle element. It'd be cool to ride on his back too, although that might be a bit over the top.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »

From what I've seen, many cool games here use tiny resolution, especially GM games. However, they often include a magnification/zoom option for ease of playing. Even the popular monster Spelunky here is a mere 320 x 240. Don't even sweat it.

Curious about the creative direction here - is the boar gonna be some primary sidekick (maybe one of a few, like DKC animal buddies), or do you plan on doing a whole action/reaction system with animals and food throughout the game?

davidv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:59 AM »

Thank you for answers.
Curious about the creative direction here - is the boar gonna be some primary sidekick (maybe one of a few, like DKC animal buddies), or do you plan on doing a whole action/reaction system with animals and food throughout the game?
Because I want the player to concentrate on exploration, the animals will play important role in gameplay. I dont want to force player to interaction with them (like you can just miss the boar), but they can help you (or endanger you) in various situatins. I am currently working on more of them, probably some mix of fantasy creatures and animals.

The biggest problem in the design its for me now the combat, because I am not sure how to make it. I dont want the game to be some button-pressing madness, but some fights can make the game more challenging too.

Some news at the end :
-added joystick support (I am currently testing it with X360 wireless joystick and its working perfectly)
-new sprite for hero (still not what I want but better then other tries)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:18:07 AM by davidv » Logged
Sketcz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »

I adore low res games, as long as you can maximise the screen (alt and enter for pretty much everything, right?)

Big chunky pixels filling the entire screen looks gorgeous.
davidv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »

I adore low res games, as long as you can maximise the screen (alt and enter for pretty much everything, right?)

Big chunky pixels filling the entire screen looks gorgeous.
Yes I like that too, I am definitely going to find out how to make it possible with Game Maker  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic