Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 12:58:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBomberman/Dynablaster "clone"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bomberman/Dynablaster "clone"  (Read 6208 times)
kronholm
Level 0

BlitzMax user

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:05:05 AM »

Been working on this for some time now, since the 12th of march, so about 1½ months now. I'm using Blitzmax, and I'm pretty much a beginner to programming, so go easy on me Wink As you can guess, it's ongoing work. I've set myself a mechanics deadline of 3 months, so I've only got 1½ months left. 2 months for graphics, leveldesign, sound. Music will probably be outsourced as I can't really do that myself.

I've made one game before this one, but I never finished it. I grew tired I guess. I doubt that's going to happen with this one though, I'm lovin' it!

The graphics look like utter crap, I know. Consider them placeholders. I don't see a reason to spend a lot of time on graphics until I have a working game, same goes for sound and music.

When I say "clone", I mean that's it's not a clone in the exact meaning of the word. It will be better than Bomberman, with more features, online play, online scores and such. I'm currently working on the UDP networking part, and I'm about to start on getting the powerups to work.

I wrote the UDP client/server from scratch to get to know the mechanics and whatnot since it interests me. For those of you unfamiliar with Blitzmax, it does provide networking libraries you can use. It's the latest offspring of Blitzbasic developed by Marc Tiffany, and it's object oriented and multiplatform. You can find more info on blitzmax.com if it interests you. What I like about it, is that I don't have to worry too much on technical aspects that don't interest me, for instance opening a graphics window. You can just dig in and get started on your game mechanics right away. I love that.

Anyway, sorry, a bit longwinded.. But like I said above, go easy on me, I'm a newbie Wink

Here's some content to stare at Smiley

Player sprite, at startup the game makes various colours for other players based on Hue to save some space.

Early version of the timeattack mode, implemented scrolling because of it:

Not-at-all-completed ingame editor:

Screen of a test app I made to test how UDP was. Clients could control their own dot around with their chat text attached. It was actually pretty entertaining for such a simple program, that was surprising. Game will have chat as well, in speechbubbles over the players head. So you can say "pwnd" and whatnot when you kill someone, if that sort of wording is your style.

You can also see some videos of some aspects of the game on my youtube account here: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=luderhamster ---- but they're probably not too entertaining to watch Wink

Let's hear some comments!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:17:51 AM by kronholm » Logged

Cheers, Dan 'pezz' Kronholm.
kronholm
Level 0

BlitzMax user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:05:43 AM »

I'm sorry about the pagestretching. What's the general opinion here, should I edit my post to just include links to the images or what?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:12:02 AM »

I'm sorry about the pagestretching. What's the general opinion here, should I edit my post to just include links to the images or what?

Nope!  Well, only if you want to.  I like to see the screenshots in the post itself, personally. Smiley
kronholm
Level 0

BlitzMax user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:16:46 AM »

Yeah, me too Smiley

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »

Checked out the youtube videos, very cool especially the network stuff. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

btw, what app are you using for vidcap?

kronholm
Level 0

BlitzMax user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »

I'm using camtasia studio for video capture, it's great for this purpose and many other. Thanks for you comment Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic