Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)ascii animator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: ascii animator  (Read 36684 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »

Is there a way to blow up the window? I have a high resolution screen and poor eyesight...

Zoom is on my list of TODOs. But until then notice that in ascii-paint.cfg you can change the font-file entry. just manually make a font bitmap that is bigger.

cheers,
b

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »

Is there a way to blow up the window? I have a high resolution screen and poor eyesight...

Press +

It might save your life someday.
namre
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »

GASP!   Hand Shake LeftEpileptic Hand Shake Right

You are so awesome, sir.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »

I've implemented a new file format into ascii-paint, the Ascii Paint Format, which uses an .apf extension. This format  is more flexible than the .asc format. As well as storing the image, it can store program settings (like grid width), and will be able to handle future additions to ascii-paint, like layers. (It also conforms to the RIFF standard.)

But it needs testing! If you want to help, please download the latest 0.3.3 release, from here (https://bitbucket.org/bpio/ascii-paint/downloads/ascii-paint-bpio-0.3.3-beta.zip). Then try and load "animtest.apf", does it work? Good! Now try to make an image, with custom grid settings (visible,width,height), save it with an ".apf" extension, then change all the settings and image, reload the file, and hopefully your old grid settings (and image) should load. Thanks! Smiley Oh, and while you're at it, you can test fullscreen mode. (ALT+ENTER)

Zaphos
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »

Tested full screen and that worked okay except for some reason the <--> slider UI for dragging numeric values (grid width and height) seemed to be glitching out a bit, it would jump to one and then not move, and/or the cursor would teleport?

File loading/saving seemed to work for me.  Is the format documented anywhere?  It'd be nice to have a spec in case I want to write a loader for them.
jabbyjim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 06:39:08 AM »

I love this program!!!!!!! but all of you are much more talented than I am.

Would anyone be interested in contributing to a game I am making that needs ASCII graphics?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 04:20:35 AM »

Tested full screen and that worked okay except for some reason the <--> slider UI for dragging numeric values (grid width and height) seemed to be glitching out a bit, it would jump to one and then not move, and/or the cursor would teleport?

File loading/saving seemed to work for me.  Is the format documented anywhere?  It'd be nice to have a spec in case I want to write a loader for them.

Cheers dude, I'll take a look at the slider issue. And yes, I plan on documenting the file format soon (once I add multiple layer support.)

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 01:28:56 AM »

Bump, program updated, see OP.

rogerlevy
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »

Cool.  Add a keyboard shortcut that scrolls the canvas to the next "frame" in the animation automatically, and I will make something awesome with this.
Zaphos
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »

Sweet to have layers Smiley

Possible bug: It seems like, with the save dialog -- if you don't type .apf at the end of the file name, it doesn't output a file?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »

Cool.  Add a keyboard shortcut that scrolls the canvas to the next "frame" in the animation automatically, and I will make something awesome with this.

I was thinking of implementing an 'animation' mode which shows just the current frame, has a timeline, keyboard shortcuts for changing frames, etc. I've got a few things to fix first..

Sweet to have layers Smiley

Possible bug: It seems like, with the save dialog -- if you don't type .apf at the end of the file name, it doesn't output a file?

Cheers thanks, and I'll log the issue and take a look when I can. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 05:10:10 PM »

minor update to 0.4.1 (see OP)

priomsrb
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »

Hi. I was the original author of ascii paint. I have to say I was quite surprised when I heard about this program today.

@eigenbom: Wow this is really cool. It never occured to me to add animations to ascii paint. But you pulled it off and it works great. I also like how you made parts of the UI simpler (especially getting rid of the primary and secondary color system). Also I really like the copy and paste. Finally the layers are also an awesome addition. It feels like a real painting app now Wink. One thing I did get confused about was the color bar. I found it tricky to select a background color. I was also confused the letters underneath the color bar like BFS, FBS etc. It would be nice to have a tooltip for that text to explain what it does. Anyway great work. It's really nice to see how much everyone likes it so far.

For people using the program, I just have a small tip: You can press <CTRL+Left Mouse Button> to drag the canvas around. <CTRL+Right Mouse Button> to reset the canvas view. Also press <TAB> to hide/unhide the UI.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:29:24 PM by priomsrb » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »

Hi. I was the original author of ascii paint. I have to say I was quite surprised when I heard about this program today.

@eigenbom: Wow this is really cool. It never occured to me to add animations to ascii paint. But you pulled it off and it works great. I also like how you made parts of the UI simpler (especially getting rid of the primary and secondary color system). Also I really like the copy and paste. Finally the layers are also an awesome addition. It feels like a real painting app now Wink. One thing I did get confused about was the color bar. I found it tricky to select a background color. I was also confused the letters underneath the color bar like BFS, FBS etc. It would be nice to have a tooltip for that text to explain what it does. Anyway great work. It's really nice to see how much everyone likes it so far.

For people using the program, I just have a small tip: You can press <CTRL+Left Mouse Button> to drag the canvas around. <CTRL+Right Mouse Button> to reset the canvas view. Also press <TAB> to hide/unhide the UI.

Hey! (Shafqat is it?) Great to hear from you, and awesome work with the software design of the original ascii-paint! It was not too tough to implement the new features. Smiley (although you mustn't look at my source, its now too overly coupled for my liking, but does the job!)

I bet it was weird to hear that your project had been resurrected and took on a new life! I've been chatting to Jice, throwing around some ideas about its relationship to libtcod, but I also should have contacted you just to let you know what I was up to. My Word!

Yeh, the documentation and how-tos are sort of scattered between the overview, guide, and the changelog in this thread, making it a bit tricky to get used to the program. I'll add some more tooltips and help stuff to it when I get the chance.

Anyways, I'm glad you like what I've been doing. Smiley

jice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »

This little jewel is now tightly coupled with libtcod  Beer!
http://doryen.eptalys.net/2011/09/libtcod-ascii-animator-win/

Just an idea : what about using the layer system for animation instead of a single tiled frame ? would make both frame navigation and transparent frame overlapping easy to code and use.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »

This little jewel is now tightly coupled with libtcod  Beer!
http://doryen.eptalys.net/2011/09/libtcod-ascii-animator-win/

Just an idea : what about using the layer system for animation instead of a single tiled frame ? would make both frame navigation and transparent frame overlapping easy to code and use.

Yay Smiley

My initial goal, that led to this gif mayhem, was to use ascii-paint to build a sprite sheet, and to be able to specify multiple animations in the one image. As most games engines probably support sprite sheets.

The layers thing sounds good (and I believe the gimp supports animation this way), but I would like to have multiple layers per frame (as in my mech animation).

If there's enough interest in furthering the animation stuff, I'll add what was suggested in this thread - an animation mode which shows just the current frame, possibly an overlay of the last frame, and keys for navigation between them. I could still use the underlying layer tech to provide the transparent overlay..

UberSprode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »

I'm an avid reader of Game Developer Magazine, and guess what I found when I opened up this month's issue!

They even included my badly made nyan cat!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »

I'm an avid reader of Game Developer Magazine, and guess what I found when I opened up this month's issue!

Haha, that's awesome. Those pics look nice printed out big. Smiley Thx for posting!

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2011, 02:25:56 AM »

Nice, my monster's there as well.

Another munching face to celebrate.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:33:25 AM by kYn » Logged
14zerozero
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4