Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:44:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs7 Grand Steps
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: 7 Grand Steps  (Read 23771 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 01:04:26 AM »

Just saw the post in the topic about PyGame's relevance. It's a little different, but the overarching idea kind of reminds me a bit of King of Dragon Pass, and that idea makes me more than a bit excited to see what the game actually plays like.

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »

Hey Johnki,  KoDP was certainly an influence, but the core mechanic is entirely different.

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »

All of the scripts have come back from the editors, and I've wrapped up a last minute design change. Time to crank the counter to 80% !!!

About the design change. In one generation, the family head will have up to three small stories presented about him or her. Originally they were choice based stories, but now they are personality based. Instead of choosing how the character reacts to a situation, at the beginning of a generation the player picks a personality type for the head of that family. The 'day in the life' stories then react based on his or her personality.

Heroic legends are still choice based adventures, but now their outcomes can affect the head of the family's personality. Heroic legends can change a person. Pretty cool.

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »

Played the demo :D And enjoyed it, lots. I played the tutorial a number of times since that seem to give me more rounds than New Game option ^^; even if just a few bit more.

And I couldn't help it, even though I do know making a game (especially one so filled with stories and details - and looking at one of the review of... well one of the game review site out there, I forgot which, but it has the ruling family screenshot and advice to king option on war or not, it seems that the game is huuuge and the demo barely touch it all) is no easy thing to do, I did thought "FINALLY~!!" when I first saw the demo link on the website and then was all "NOOOOO!! only the demo!!?" But congratulations on finally having (completed the game? is it completed? or is it in the bug finding and polishing stage) and released the demo.

You might not remember but I was the one who asked about the game some (almost) 2 years ago XD when it was expected to be released in the (as per your word) optimistic estimation of dun dun dun... early 2011. This is now 2013. And so YEEESSS Finally.

Looking forward to spring time and the released game. Will there be any early order and suchs? If so when will it start? And any estimate on the price? Because I now has started working and therefore am earning my own money as in comparison to 2 years ago. So I'm definitely saving some on this XD Yay~!

Fan-Girl Mode ON
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:02:09 PM by Ailea » Logged
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 04:47:01 AM »

Yea, Ailea!

Thanks for the reassurances. It's great to hear after a long development period! The game is not quite finished. I have a list... :-)  Weather the list shrinks or grows depends on the next round of testing, which started this week.

When the progress bar on this forum-thread hits 90%, then you'll know that we're in the final phase of getting it out the garage door.

cheers,

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »

o: I do hope the game reach that 90% before spring come ^^

And I would like to say me! me! Can I test??? But I know if I do I'd just be playing instead of bug finding or looking at what needs to be improved/fixed etc etc etc. And so good luck to the testers. Lucky you.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »

I loved the demo. Great job with this game

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »

Thanks again, Ailea, Andy.

The best way to help, right now is to spread the word. Fortunately, the game is getting a lot of good press to point to, even a couple video bloggers loved it.

http://killscreendaily.com/headlines/ever-wanted-play-game-life-set-copper-age-heres-7-grand-steps/

http://indiestatik.com/2013/01/08/first-playable-demos-of-7-grand-steps-released-to-celebrate-igf-finalist-status/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/08/the-generation-game-7-grand-steps-demo/

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/7-grand-steps/preview

Oh, and a video blogger interviews me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHgtEaCNMU

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:55:11 AM by Musenik » Logged

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »

Say, I noticed that the .exe installer for the demo is up on the site. So I downloaded and installed it. But... about 5 seconds into the game it gives out the error 'This game was interrupted by the monkey.' and close on itself. ><!!?
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »

Thanks for posting that!

Re-download the file and re-install. I've replaced the bad file.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:54:35 AM by Musenik » Logged

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »

Another something for you to work on. Seems like a minor error though. Happens when I completed the legend for hero (the next legend I chose after the tutorial social round) in tutorial.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 93, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 42, in main
  File "main.py", line 68, in gamemain
  File "faceEngn.pyo", line 90, in RunFaces
  File "begatAround.pyo", line 776, in Core
  File "fnfEvents.pyo", line 107, in PumpEvents
  File "fnfEvents.pyo", line 250, in HandleTimedEvents
  File "scoring.pyo", line 77, in ScoreBeads
  File "scoring.pyo", line 95, in ChangeScore
  File "family.pyo", line 86, in AddScore
  File "goals.pyo", line 307, in AddPoints
  File "goals.pyo", line 417, in Reached
NameError: global name 'saveGame' is not defined
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »

That was a good bug find. I'm surprised my testers hadn't found it, but it's possible their build doesn't have this recent change.

Fixed, and resubmitted to the website. Thanks again for helping out Ailea. I'll make sure you get a free copy of the beta, if your still interested in buggy betas... :-)  Now less buggy because of you!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:39:02 AM by Musenik » Logged

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »

Well, the zipped demo didn't have those bugs so they are probably only in the recent build.

Now, I am at work, so have yet to try out the new demo. And no problems, I am a little surprised myself that I haven't gotten bored of playing the demo yet XD (considering that it covers only a short period of time). And yay~~!! I definitely am still interested in buggy beta :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM by Ailea » Logged
Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »

Dun Dun~~

Here's another. I think it happens when I try to click on the owl? Character have yet to marry despite almost reaching the end of his life (I chose the option about following his destiny when the pop up about him being unmarried came up and a woman pop up but refuse to marry him when he tried...). Anyway, I am not sure if the error is caused by that or not... but I thought I should mention it anyway just in case.

And here's the log:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 93, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 42, in main
  File "main.py", line 68, in gamemain
  File "faceEngn.pyo", line 90, in RunFaces
  File "begatAround.pyo", line 776, in Core
  File "fnfEvents.pyo", line 105, in PumpEvents
  File "fnfEvents.pyo", line 95, in UpdateHighlight
  File "faces.pyo", line 146, in SetHilite
  File "faces.pyo", line 163, in GainHilite
  File "tales.pyo", line 176, in TransitionIn
  File "LocStrs.pyo", line 22, in Get
KeyError: None

And lookie even a screenshot for you. Though I don't know if it'll help. And... by the way, will there be save slots?

Oh, and another question... I already discovered the 2nd track (what do you call the different tracks by the way?) and the went down to play the lowest track while doing social advancement legend, when it's done I got uplifted into the 2nd track instead of the 3rd. Is that because I'm on the lowest at the time I got uplifted? So does that mean I must be playing on the 2nd track to get uplifted into 3rd?
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

This one will take a bit more work, but thank you for bring it to my attention. Tomorrow, I have to do taxes, but then I'll get right on it. I suspect it's a string that's missing from the demo build, but is in the full build. We'll see.

Edit: It wasn't what I thought it was, but the solution was quick to fix. (The advantages of waking up in the middle of the night.)

Fresh builds up. What else have you got, Ailea? Bring it! :-)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:35:38 AM by Musenik » Logged

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »

Yay ^^ Good for you.

Went out and play with my cousin yesterday :D. So I just tried the new build, so far I haven't encountered any problem through the tutorial route. Have yet to try out the new game option though.
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »

The 'regular game', (new game option) is a bit more challenging than starting with the tutorial.

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 02:11:48 AM »

Played the regular game, no problems encountered there too ^^
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »

Whew! Thanks, Ailea.

Ailea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »

Hmmmn... been playing the game over and saw this one. Probably not a bug but... since I'm not sure what it is exactly, I shall ask. (By the way any news on the game progress?)

What Point exactly did we earned here?

There doesn't seems to be any different in bead counts nor does it adds anything to the avatar (in the hovering over info)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic