Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:04:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRotate
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rotate  (Read 2453 times)
Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »

Rotate
Rotate is a third person 3D puzzle game, with 2D gameplay. Set in a mechanical steampunk world. The player has to guide the ball trough the level from start to finish, by rotating the world around the ball and thereby affecting the direction of gravity. The player must avoid traps that may kill or harm the player, and reach the goal of the level safely.

Engine
Unity
Platform
iOS & Android

Team
Programming & Design
Matias Christensen (me)
2D & 3D Artist
Simon Nyhus
Composer
Landon Podbielski

Concept & Artwork

Rough Prorotype
Controls: Left & Right arrow keys

I am trying to keep this project small as i have a limited amount of time to work on it each week. And as i am still a novice game designer, i am trying not to bite of more than i can chew and rather make a smaller more polished game.

More stuff coming soon!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:51:28 AM by Mattivc » Logged
poe
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »

Wow this looks great, I'll give it a try soon.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »

That's really cool! The ball could be faster tho...
Bursar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »

Sounds like a variation on Cameltry, and I love that game Smiley
Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »

Sounds like a variation on Cameltry, and I love that game Smiley

I hadn't heard of that game. I will see if i can get some emulator action going and give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Oh, there is a iOS port. Well that is handy.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »

Those models are gorgeous. Enjoyed the prototype too; the final bit with the electric barriers was tough, but satisfying to do correctly. Well done in making an iOS game that interests me. Coffee Lots of small, tight levels would be perfect, I think.

Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »

A small update with a gameplay mockup. Keep in mind this is just a mockup, but it migth give you some idea of what the final gameplay might look like.

Also added a game logo to the first post.

ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

Hmm, kind of like a steampunky Loco Roco.  Smiley
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »

Very cool. Except the fact that it probably won't run on my LG GT540. I wonder how much polys/quads there are on one scene  Who, Me?

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »

Looks very good and feels nice! Though level was little hard. I think you should tweak the speed of ball and controls a bit somehow. Or simply make sure there is some easier levels first! But I understand that it was just rough prototype! I'm interested where this will go and which kind of levels you will come up. Also, the mockup looks very good.

Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »

Very cool. Except the fact that it probably won't run on my LG GT540. I wonder how much polys/quads there are on one scene  Who, Me?

I should mention that the game is primarily aimed at iOS, and a Android port is a bit of a maby. Even with a engine like Unity, developing for a segregated marked like android can be a challenge.

I really do want to try and make it for android as well, but that will most likely be some time after the iOS version.

Rigth now my low end aim is for it to run on at least a iPhone 3GS. And hopefully even a iPhone 3G, although that might be a challenge. Currently my development device is a iPad 2, and then i will optimize it for lower end devices towards the end of development.
Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:50:18 AM »

Here is another update.

Our composer has created some concept tracks for the game.

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4

Pleas tell us what you think of the concept tracks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:14:53 AM by Mattivc » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:36:47 AM »

I don't like the fact that Unity is slow for android sometimes (I mean loading the whole scenes are slow). Too bad it won't hit android  Huh?

Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »

I finally got some spare time to work on this project again. I am currently working on a level editor within unity. Haven't done much editor scripting in Unity before, and i am finding it surprisingly easy to build the editor tools i node to quickly build levels.

I have also made a decision regarding the visual style of the game. Being inspired by the awesome puzzle game Cogs. So i am going to try to make the game entirely out of 3D elements. Including the Menus and GUI. This will need some further experimentation to see weather this works out, but i am hoping this will differentiate this game a bit.

Also, here are some pretty pictures from our artist.

Main menu background concept:

Concept for checkpoints and level start & goal.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic