Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411841 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 08:15:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral8-bit Musicians wanted!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 8-bit Musicians wanted!  (Read 1838 times)
Hyperboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:26 AM »

Hello, everyone! This isn't entirely game-related, but I'm hoping this is at least the right forum.

Two of my friends and I, all of us avid gamers, are starting a rap group by the name of Gumboozle. Now, we hope to have a lighthearted approach to everything, and considering that we are all artists, make our personas very cartoony and exciting. I'll break it down for you guys:

I am Gene, and I go by Gene Machine. I'll wear a slim black suit and tie on stage. I'm the designated hype man, which means I dance around and sing choruses and such.

My friend Gabe is the lead rapper. He goes by Galvosaur and wears a luchador mask onstage.

My friend Greg is just Greg. That's the joke. He has no gimmick. He's the other lead rapper.

Here's a picture I drew depicting us:

I'll cut to the chase, and explain our dilemma. Up until now, this has all been a lot of talk and we're kind of becoming a joke amongst our group of friends. Here's why:

We need beats.

We can't record any music until we have beats. Unfortunately, it's hard to find talented musicians who would want to collaborate. So, I wanted to go on here and ask if there was any musicians that would be willing to work with us? There's no money in it, and it's strictly for the fun of it. We're not making any money off this.

I loved Joakim Sandberg's soundtrack for Noitu Love 2, and I contacted him to see if he was interested in this project. But, he is very busy and I understand his lack of interest. However, I was wondering if there are any 8-bit musicians on here that would be able to do that kind of thing? His songs are almost the exact kind of music we're looking for: Intense, upbeat, melodic, catchy, etc.

So, if you are someone who does that kind of thing, let me know. If you know of someone that might be able to help us, let me know of that as well. Thank you for your help everyone! Smiley

-Gene

Miya
Level 0

Wtf was that?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:50 AM »

Sounds like epic to me.
Hyperboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:33 AM »

I would like it to be. Sad

The plans we have for this are outstanding. We're cartoonists, we know how to market something. Think of Gorillaz, and how famous they are. People love to mix cartoons and music.

...But we need help... Cry

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:59:20 AM »

not to be a brat or whatever.. but isn't 8-bit music, like NES chiptunes (ie basic waveforms, triangle, square etc.)? The soundtrack in NL2 definitely had instruments and was reminiscent of the 16-bit SNES era.  Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:38 AM »

not to be a brat or whatever.. but isn't 8-bit music, like NES chiptunes (ie basic waveforms, triangle, square etc.)? The soundtrack in NL2 definitely had instruments and was reminiscent of the 16-bit SNES era.  Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
Ohh, you're getting picky now, Doc Tongue But of course, you are correct. Wink

olücæbelel
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:04:27 AM »

I can't help you, but this seems amusing. We agree, cartoons and music are a pretty good mix. Now,

A) Luchadores are awesome (Actually, what's the plural of Luchador?)

More impotantly

B) Gene, use this thread to, you know, show off a bit. Put up some choice cartoons, or tunes, or something. Build Hype, as you would put it. I'm sure we won't mind seeing your stuff to much, eh?  Smiley

Erm, other than that, good luck with all of this! Sounds fun.
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:01:43 AM »

My issue with threads like this is that the author hasn't brought anything to the table.  Yes, I see that sketch you made, that's lovely, but why should I want to work with you?

I'm willing to work with anyone who can show me 1. they have a modicum of talent and 2. they will finish what they start.  In this thread, you haven't shown either of those things.

Everyone has big ideas, but very few people can actually make them happen.

Upload some raps to generic loops, and you'll probably get more responses.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
Hyperboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »

Thank you for the responses, everyone! I appreciate it!

I suppose I'll show you guys some stuff I've done in the past. I didn't want to start plugging stuff at first, but I suppose it makes sense in this kind of thread.

http://www.hyperboystudios.com
That is the website for my Flash cartoon series, Hyperboy. I plan to finish it at 6 episodes. Give them a look!

http://hyperboy.deviantart.com/gallery
Here is my deviantART gallery. Check out my artwork there! Smiley

http://galvo.deviantart.com/gallery
That is Gabe's deviantART gallery. He is much more prolific in the field, and has somewhat of a name. It's amazing how many talented artists he knows.

http://www.entervoid.com
Gabe started this website, and it's been running for a long time now. It's got a ton of members, and is very popular amongst budding comic artists.

http://namnik.deviantart.com/gallery
That is Greg's deviantART gallery. He's just getting started with all of this artsy junk, but he's got the potential to be great.

PS - You're right, it's not technically 8-bit. I just wanted to make this thread sound catchy. Wink

PPS - We'll try and find some generic beats to rap to. Just to show off a bit.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:40:19 AM by Hyperboy » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic