Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:34:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-BEEP-
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: -BEEP-  (Read 89917 times)
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »

Puzzle time!

namragog
« Reply #461 on: June 13, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »

dude theres a big tree outside my house and at night it looks like the train from escalated strange, freaky as hell.. just thought i'd let you know.

also nice tentacle mioeuf

How does that happen am I invading your mind.
mioeuf?

I watched that four times.
namragog
« Reply #462 on: June 16, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »

New, better bus + movement tweaks.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »

Just wanted to drop by and tell you that the art in the game is awesome.

I like this one:

Everything fits, the rainbow, the scenery... And looks kind of still, like abandoned. My art reading is crap, but this one clicked with me. I saved it and use now it as wallpaper.

It's kind of Metroid...

Yeah.
namragog
« Reply #464 on: June 18, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »

Wow, thanks  Epileptic

Here's part of the design doc I'm working on for fun. You've earned it.

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 18, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »

Wow, thanks  Epileptic
Nope, Thank YOU for making this.

Also, I wasn't expecting that kind of mechanics. I should be expecting, though. This game oozes style. Hand Clap

Yeah.
namragog
« Reply #466 on: June 18, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »

Wow, thanks  Epileptic
Nope, Thank YOU for making this.

Also, I wasn't expecting that kind of mechanics. I should be expecting, though. This game oozes style. Hand Clap

It's people like you that keep this thing running. I would have probably given up a long time ago  Embarrassed
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »

I second that sentement. I think the art here might be my fav on any TIGsource devlog ATM...but I'll reserve gushing too much until I see gameplay Smiley ...how'd you learn to do your pixel art btw?
namragog
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »

I second that sentement. I think the art here might be my fav on any TIGsource devlog ATM...but I'll reserve gushing too much until I see gameplay Smiley ...how'd you learn to do your pixel art btw?

Yeah, my biggest fear with this game is that the gameplay is going to suck... but I've been working on that before I even made the graphics, and I'm still tweaking it, so I'm sure it will turn out fine  Grin

As for learning pixel art/art in general, back in September I said "I will make a game!" and I realized that I would need good, or at least mediocre graphics to continue creating the game. So I looked a couple things up, found out that graphicsgale is the best application for pixel art (for me anyway) and started peeing all over the keyboard. This is what I got:

Not bad. Actually, it was terrible. However, at the time I thought it was cool, so I decided to continue. "Enough practice! Time to make a mockup for my game!"

And This is what turned up:

...maybe I was too excited. Nevertheless, I carried on, and began to make the game.

It evolved from this:

To this:

Then this:

This:

This:

This:

This:

This:

This:

This:

This:

And finally to where I'm at right now:

----

Obviously, those aren't the same exact levels, and the last two are specific rooms, but the idea is the same. You can see how my skill progresses over the few months I have been working on this. You may say "Namragog, a few months? But you started in September!"

Ah, yes. But I had no computer for three months, so how could I work on pixel art, hmm?

And there you have it. Pure stinkin' practice.

(The last image isn't actually where I am right now. Sssshhh...)
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »

Fantastic, you showing the evolution on the art. Quite inspiring, I might add.

Yeah.
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

Your pixel art is awesome mostly because of how unique it is, and I'm beginning to understand what it reminds me of...H.R. Geiger's work (the guy who made the design for the original Alien movie). Something about the patterns used in your foreground/background graphics is just bizarre...it's really difficult to put my finger on what's so alluring about it...but suffice it to say it's a style that is rarely pulled off. With the added ghosts it sorta looks like Beetlejuice meets Alien.

And I'm sure gameplay won't suck if you've thought it out thoroughly...but it'll be hard to top the visuals. Are you going to get someone to help with sounds/music, or were you going to do that yourself?
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: June 19, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »

I love these first pixels you popped out so much. So creepy and bright at the same time.
Grotesque and stuff. It looks like you finger painted with pixels, and it's awesome.

I love your new style just as much. These just. I dunno. Something about them makes me happy.
namragog
« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2012, 06:13:58 AM »

Fantastic, you showing the evolution on the art. Quite inspiring, I might add.

Hey, I still suck, and I'm still learning. Hahaha

Your pixel art is awesome mostly because of how unique it is, and I'm beginning to understand what it reminds me of...H.R. Geiger's work (the guy who made the design for the original Alien movie). Something about the patterns used in your foreground/background graphics is just bizarre...it's really difficult to put my finger on what's so alluring about it...but suffice it to say it's a style that is rarely pulled off. With the added ghosts it sorta looks like Beetlejuice meets Alien.

And I'm sure gameplay won't suck if you've thought it out thoroughly...but it'll be hard to top the visuals. Are you going to get someone to help with sounds/music, or were you going to do that yourself?

Wow, um, H.R. Giger's work is pretty fucking scary though. I'll take that as a compliment, but jeez. His stuff. Whoah. Aaahhhh.

Do you really think the visuals are that good? They still make me want to vomit candy canes. That shit hurts, too.

The music is a secret~

I love these first pixels you popped out so much. So creepy and bright at the same time.
Grotesque and stuff. It looks like you finger painted with pixels, and it's awesome.

I love your new style just as much. These just. I dunno. Something about them makes me happy.

That is exactly the problem here. I love those so much, and I'm trying to make my new stuff look similar, like a better version of those, but I'm always worried that it'll clash with the other stuffs. I think I have a plan though...
thebarryman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »

Really nice style. I love the creepy-as-hell sun! Are there any videos of the game in action?
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »

Wow, um, H.R. Giger's work is pretty fucking scary though. I'll take that as a compliment, but jeez. His stuff. Whoah. Aaahhhh.

Do you really think the visuals are that good? They still make me want to vomit candy canes. That shit hurts, too.

The music is a secret~

Again, "good" wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe the sprite art, it's weird an unique...hmm, which I guess is "good". With so many boring indies out there, I'll take unique and freaky over polished and realistic any day of the week. I'm basically saying that I really like the general direction the art is headed in is, and it's also probably good you're not completely satisfied with it yet...it'll keep you from getting lazy and producing a product that you could have improved...I also feel that some sprites are still better than others.

And I guess stuff like the foreground in this image is what gave me the HR Geiger feel. That sort of creepy bio-mechanical design pattern seems to mesh well with a game titled Escalated Strange. Can't wait for music and gameplay...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:07:17 PM by IndieGamesDig » Logged
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 20, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »

Yesterday, when I saw your mention of Giger, I found it really misplaced. I don't see "Giger" there, because I fail to see the amount of organic imagery Giger imposes upon his creations. And general bad taste throughout. The guy has some cool stuff, but I find it boring looking at sexual imagery rather than offensive or even disturbing.

namagog's art is quite his own. Only he can tell us where he took inspiration from.

Of course, that's me rambling. If you have a Giger vibe, I'm cool with it, though I fail to see the connection.

Yeah.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 20, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »

Obviously he got his inspiration from electronic circuitry.
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »

Yesterday, when I saw your mention of Giger, I found it really misplaced. I don't see "Giger" there, because I fail to see the amount of organic imagery Giger imposes upon his creations. And general bad taste throughout. The guy has some cool stuff, but I find it boring looking at sexual imagery rather than offensive or even disturbing.

namagog's art is quite his own. Only he can tell us where he took inspiration from.

Of course, that's me rambling. If you have a Giger vibe, I'm cool with it, though I fail to see the connection.

I guess I got that feel from stuff like the repeating ribbed edges on that foreground image, anywhere among the circuit-board stuff that you see curvature, that black tower, also the general darkness I guess gave me an Alien vibe. Honestly, after you mentioned it, alot of the designs seem like the sort stuff you'd see on a Predator ship or something...I guess I sorta grouped the two franchises together in my head Apoplectic. I'm not a Geiger expert, alls I know is that he designed the aliens and the hive.

And I'm of course not implying that Namragog took any inspiration from Geiger, Namragog's art-style is very unique and it's difficult to find things to which I can compare it...and it was actually meant as a complement btw, Giger even if he was a weirdo freakshow, did managed to come up with some extremely creative shit.
namragog
« Reply #478 on: June 21, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »

Failing to combine Miyazaki and Hellboy. Hahaha

Obviously he got his inspiration from electronic circuitry.

Not at all.

namragog
« Reply #479 on: June 24, 2012, 04:24:51 AM »

For next week or so, I'm concept-ing and not working much on the game itself. Now is the time to ask me questions~!

Oh, and today is my birthday.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic