Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:19:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCovering the cracks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Covering the cracks  (Read 3651 times)
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »

Nobody can be a master of everything. Some people are fairly good at most things, and some of them are indie game making wonder people. But what about the rest of us?

How do you cover up the cracks in what you produce? Is there something you just cannot do? What do you do about it?

Personally, I can't do anything involving sound or music. I can't compose anything. At all. What's a developer to do?

For retro/prototype sound effects I use sfxr by DrPetter. It's an automatic sound effect generator basically. It's really cool. I highly recommend it.

I also can't draw. Or do pixel art. I've been doing bits and pieces, practising, but if you want a quick fix for space ships then I can recommend this Shmup Pixel Craft Generator. Sorry I can't find a proper website, but you can download it. Which is the important thing.

So, how do you deal with the things you can't do? Do you just practice at it, or is there a secret thing you use to make everything better?
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »

Kinda neat way of covering music cracks:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2084.0

If you need stuff that is...higher fidelity than midi, I believe you can import midi loops in Garage Band and convert the instruments to better patches?

Also, good way of covering cracks, especially if you've got something almost finished, is to COLLABORATE!  This is useful AND fun Smiley

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1002.0

cup full of magic charisma
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »

Graphics are my big weak point. I'm currently trying to compensate it with using really, really minimalistic pixel graphics and I'm also looking into roguelike development, which doesn't require real graphics at all.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »

No Fecking way! Those sound effect majigs are outstanding! Procedurally generated genius.
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »

Graphics are my big weak point. I'm currently trying to compensate it with using really, really minimalistic pixel graphics and I'm also looking into roguelike development, which doesn't require real graphics at all.

On a very similar note to Adam's music generation thingy:

http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=10804

I think you could make some pretty swell roguelike graphics with this!
Aaron G.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »

I'm a competent artist but a horrible animator.  I have to come up with all sorts of clever tricks to reduce the number of animations characters require.

I'll always ask myself if there's some way I can program the animation instead, like simple, simulated dresses instead of pants, or enemies that roll instead of walk.  I think every problem has some sort of a creative solution; indie designers just need to be ready to let their personal limitations inform their vision.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic