Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:35:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLevel design via perlin noise (Suggestions?)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Level design via perlin noise (Suggestions?)  (Read 6174 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »

BLAM.

EDIT: Okay, so the vertically-offset "open on top" room needs flipped. Point is, calculation works now. One big dog down.

increpare
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »

tortilla chips with guacamole and salsa MMMMM
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »

This is damn cool, nice work Smiley get some code to rough up the resulting rooms without disrupting their high level characteristics and then throw decor everywhere and you'll have some level generation sex in a can.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »

This is damn cool, nice work Smiley get some code to rough up the resulting rooms without disrupting their high level characteristics and then throw decor everywhere and you'll have some level generation sex in a can.

Therein is the idea. Smiley I am effin' pumped.

I am kinda torn between using a rough, demade Zelda-like to learn inventory management, or a rough, demade Sonic-like (minus loop-de-loops?) to learn speed/direction platformer physics. Either way, position-relative object generation will "rough it up" nicely enough. I could even break up worlds into sets of themed submaps, and interconnect them through the sides. Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »

Nice job, but sonic without loop de loop (or 2 layer switching) is not sonic Tongue Also sonic game already came in big 256² chunk, you can find a dl of all sonic chunk on some thread in sonic retro forums.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »

Yeah, that's very true. Eventually, I'd like to get something of that caliber going too, but in due time. I kinda have to figure out how to manipulate speed/direction enough to run up walls or down inclines, for instance. And especially where curves are concerned.

Like, a way to accelerate at direction 315 the fastest, that could CURVE downwards and keep traction, but angling off would lose it. Direction 0 would be pretty standard, direction 90 would keep you steady at max speed, but you'd lose momentum for being under that, 45 you could make steady speed if slower up to a point, or if you were already going pretty quick you could pick up a little of it...

It would be more about getting that sort of thing down than "being a Sonic game." Gamedev as a whole may not be new to me, but platformer physics (especially in the speed/direction motif) kinda are. ^.^ If I can get that down, the layer-changing and loops are basically all that's left to add. And that shouldn't be hard at all.

Plus, I may cheat and add swimming!

The Zelda-like project is basically me learning to create and manage a simple inventory system, like old-school LoZ. Then tying those two both together will basically produce my "SonicMetroidvania" game. Having two playable prototypes/predecessors is simply icing on the cake. Besides, who DOESN'T want PGC Zelda/Semi-Sonic? Heck, even a simple PGC Aquaria demake is tempting as hell to do (although that would probably be a branch-off of the inventory system into cooking/crafting).

Oh well... in the meantime, first thing's first: Chunker Deluxe (actual level sizes now), and common gameplay assets (items, baddie sprites).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:54:23 AM by baconman » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »

There is plenty source code for sonic physic to look at
But the source of all source is generally here.

http://info.sonicretro.org/SPG:Solid_Tiles

But the principle is very easy, sonic have predictable angle and curve so it limit the case. But even with that in mind, you can just follow the connected "edge" (ie solid tile that follow each other) respective to the displacement (assuming it is larger to a tile and it's already assuming very very fast speed which is a specific case already). Other than that, disregarding gameplay tweak, it's as easy as aligning a vector using trigo (based on stored angle in a tile on collision) and adding gravity and aligned acceleration vector. It only get tricky with 3D where gimbal lock became an issue (my bad). Tile also make it easy to handle case where I stumble into in 3D because of the collision system I use.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic